Laptop networking and internet questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop networking and internet questions

silentpoet
08-22-2008, 07:32
Just got a used laptop and I have some questions about wireless networking and laptop connect cards.

I would probably rather go with a wireless networking card than a usb wireless piece. What would be a good card that is not too expensive?

I was also looking at the ATT laptop connect cards. But I saw that the card was limited to 5GB a month. I was looking at the ATT because that is my cell phone provider. I could also use my phone to tether to my computer, if I could get the software to work, for only 30 a month but it still has that same 5GB data a month limitation. I would choose this option if not for the limited amount of data.

Detectorist
08-26-2008, 07:54
Can you clarify your question? The ATT cards are for Broadband Internet access. Is that what you're looking for?

On the other hand, were you looking for a wireless lan card for short distance access?

Or you don't know?

G23shooter
08-26-2008, 08:01
Your lappy probably has a built in card that can connect to a wireless network.

A wireless network card is different from a wireless connect card.

The wireless connect from ATT or similar is a card that you put into the lappy that allows internet connection anywhere through that card.

A wireless network card gets the signal from an established internet connection. For example if you have internet in your home through cable/DSL you can add a wireless router to your home network and the lappy can connect to the net anywhere in the house.

whiskey_moodz
08-26-2008, 08:59
What is the model of this laptop it might be easier to see what you are working with. Plus you really don't want to go with any plan that has limitations on internet use. I am running a sprint air card now and I think I pay maybe $35 a month unlimited use... The only way I think that would be a good deal if you only use every once and a while.

To be honest I have a wireless internal card also but the only place that I use it is at home. I never want to ask people's WIFI info to log into my laptop... the internal card is a good idea .. only if you have a wireless router to hook to.. I think a lot of people thing internal wireless card means they can access the internet just like they were at home.