Has anyone considered the year long pill? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone considered the year long pill?

Mrs. VR
08-23-2008, 16:24
I am currently taking seasonale, and i love it, except four time a year, I get HORRIBLE HEADACHES. (having one right now, feel like :puking: )

I didn't used to love the idea of stopping my period totally, but I think this is getting worse as I get older, and I'm starting to feel like this might be a good option.

I was wondering if anyone was using it.

I'm not worried about not knowing I'm pregnant, I don't take the pill for a contraceptive, I take it because I have crazy, irregular periods if I don't. (in other words, VR got fixed).

I know it's been FDA approved, I'm just wondering about long term effects.

Also, I have thought for some time that I'm in that pre menopausal state, so I guess you wouldn't even know unless you stopped taking them that you didn't need them anymore! :rollingeyes:

MrsKitty
08-23-2008, 18:16
I haven't even heard of it. I may want to try it. That would get rid of my four weeks of horrid migraines each year... That is why I went on Seasonal--to eliminate some of the migraines. This would do even better...if it didn't do like Depo has been known to do for migraines.

I am interested in this.

Mrs. VR
08-23-2008, 19:35
It's called lybrel. I finally got some relief after two days of this stupid thing. It's not really a migraine, I think it's more like a really bad tension headache, right up the side of my neck into my head. Horrible. :ack:

Mrs. Tink
08-25-2008, 15:40
This would do even better...if it didn't do like Depo has been known to do for migraines.

MK, what do you mean by this?

MrsKitty
08-25-2008, 16:27
MK, what do you mean by this?

Some women have reported having a migraine for three months solid, or even longer, starting almost immediately after having their first Depo shot. As soon as it is out of your system, the migraine goes away. Until the Depo wears off, nothing will break it. I guess it is based on the same principle that certain BCPs can trigger migraines, depending on the type.

Shondratasha
08-26-2008, 00:44
I could see taking something to "slow the flow." Why don't older women warn the younger ones that when they approach peri-menopause, Niagara Falls is going to seem like a dripping faucet compared to what they'll experience?

Thank goodness for Diva and Instead....

glockgirlie
08-26-2008, 10:16
I use Mirena (not a pill, but an IUD), and absolutely love it. I've not had any harsh side effects at all. It was easy to place (the doc does it) and my periods have pretty much gone away except for a little spotting now and then. I can never remember to take a pill, so it seemed like the perfect option. Plus, it's good for five years (or less if you decide you don't want it) without any carry-over after it's out.

Mrs. Tink
08-26-2008, 11:23
Some women have reported having a migraine for three months solid, or even longer, starting almost immediately after having their first Depo shot. As soon as it is out of your system, the migraine goes away. Until the Depo wears off, nothing will break it. I guess it is based on the same principle that certain BCPs can trigger migraines, depending on the type.

:wow: That is terrible. I am glad that this did not happen to me. I have been using Depo for about 8 years. My doc has suggested the Mirena IUD as well; I am considering it.

bearwitme
08-26-2008, 11:24
Well.. I don't have to worry about this anymore. I closed up shop (Tubes Tied) 20 years ago and now at 54 I am past the other stage...(Thank God!!)

I am currently taking seasonale, and i love it, except four time a year, I get HORRIBLE HEADACHES. (having one right now, feel like :puking: )

I didn't used to love the idea of stopping my period totally, but I think this is getting worse as I get older, and I'm starting to feel like this might be a good option.

I was wondering if anyone was using it.

I'm not worried about not knowing I'm pregnant, I don't take the pill for a contraceptive, I take it because I have crazy, irregular periods if I don't. (in other words, VR got fixed).

I know it's been FDA approved, I'm just wondering about long term effects.

Also, I have thought for some time that I'm in that pre menopausal state, so I guess you wouldn't even know unless you stopped taking them that you didn't need them anymore! :rollingeyes:

sweetatergal
08-27-2008, 12:49
I use Mirena (not a pill, but an IUD), and absolutely love it. I've not had any harsh side effects at all. It was easy to place (the doc does it) and my periods have pretty much gone away except for a little spotting now and then. I can never remember to take a pill, so it seemed like the perfect option. Plus, it's good for five years (or less if you decide you don't want it) without any carry-over after it's out.

I have the same thing. While my doc wanted me on it due to my blood pressure issues.....taking the extra estrogen out of my system has helped my BP, the extra projesteron (ms) has caused me to revert back to puberity. I break out something TERRIBLE!

I've had mine almost a year and have completely stopped having a period. I very RARELY even have any spotting.

sweetatergal
08-27-2008, 12:51
My doc has suggested the Mirena IUD as well; I am considering it.

I was skeptical at first about it. It pretty much paid for itself in about 6 months (my out of pocket cost after insurance paid). Other than the break outs, I've had no other issues with mine. I LOVE not having to remember to take a pill everyday/night.

Mrs. VR
08-28-2008, 19:26
Well.. I don't have to worry about this anymore. I closed up shop (Tubes Tied) 20 years ago and now at 54 I am past the other stage...(Thank God!!)you know, I'm almost looking forward to it. :supergrin:

I had the Mirena a long time ago, between the first two kids. It was ok, but she cut the strings too short, so I couldn't check to be sure I wasn't pregnant! I was conceived when my mom was on an IUD, so, I guess I was a little nervous. :animlol:

sweetatergal
08-29-2008, 09:02
you know, I'm almost looking forward to it. :supergrin:

I had the Mirena a long time ago, between the first two kids. It was ok, but she cut the strings too short, so I couldn't check to be sure I wasn't pregnant! I was conceived when my mom was on an IUD, so, I guess I was a little nervous. :animlol:

I checked mine the first few weeks, but it has been I guess since October since it was last checked......:couch: