Your Favorite BBQ Joint [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite BBQ Joint

Joe D
08-24-2008, 09:05
So far I have only found two good BBQ joints in Alabama. Green Top in Jasper and Tin Top in Calera. Back in the day Old Plantation in Bham was good. I loved the "Buster Special" - cracklin cornbread muffin cut in half with the BBQ poured on top.
Please don't try and tell me Golden Rule, Johnny Ray's or Jim & Nick's have great BBQ. I would rate them about a 3 on a 5 scale at best.
I have found that the "hole in the wall" joints tend to have the best BBQ.
I noticed that Big Daddy's Bar-B-Q in Warrior won the Bham News Best Ribs contest. Anyone eaten there?

sullivanpm
08-24-2008, 16:56
So you have completely missed dreamland, huh.
The one in the ham is so so but the one outside t town is out standing.

BamaBud
08-25-2008, 09:37
If you want North Carolina style, try Miss Myra's in Cahaba Heights.

Another similar style is Tin Roof BBQ on Valleydale road. They have some all-you-can-eat specials, so check their website or call to find out more.

Many people like Carlisle's in Southside. Their hamburger steak is especially recommended.

If I want a lot of different BBQ, I go to Costa's, either on Finley Blvd or in Huffman. I get their platter: ribs, chicken, beef and pork, with three sides. Sure to fill you up, with a little left to take home.

You might want to check out:
http://www.bhamdining.com/index.html

They are pretty high-brow, but some of the reader reviews are alright.

Joe D
08-25-2008, 12:54
I had forgotten about Dreamland in North Port. Better ribs than the Bham store.
BB, I have eaten at all of the restaurants you mentioned. I don't care for any of them for various reasons.
The Costa's in Wildwood is awful - very greasy.

thooks
08-25-2008, 13:41
I rate Golden Rule a -3 on a scale of 1 to 10. Meaning I'll never eat there again, unless it's the one in Hoover on Hwy 31 and all I'll get outta there is a grilled cheese sammich.

I have no use for Jim-N-Nicks, total garbage.

Never been to Dreamland, they sure smell good everytime I drive by the one in Roswell/Alpharetta/whatever you want to call that spot in the road. Being a die-hard Tiger, I find it tough to stop when traveling through Tuscaloosa county on I-59, so I'll probably never get to the real location of Dreamland. Heard a lot about it, and I suspect that's all I'll know of it.

Sam's BBQ in Montgomery has some good stuff.

But the best paid-for smoked, pulled pork probably comes out of Cherokee, AL from Bishop's Barbecue. http://www.bishopsbbq.com/

Other than that, it comes off of my smoker.

Joe D
08-25-2008, 16:55
Try Spiced Right in Lilburn. It was pretty good when I lived in Atlanta. If you want real garbage try Harold's down by the Federal Pen.

nhop13
08-25-2008, 17:52
Top Hat in Hayden.

Joe D
08-26-2008, 04:35
Top Hat meat is ok. I hate their sauce. Matter of fact when we eat there we bring our own sauce. The worst garbage I have ever eaten is at Johnnie's in Cullman. It is bad beyond belief. The beans taste like they came right out of a Van Camps can. I chuckle every time I see the sign on 65 N proclaiming that Johnnie's has been voted "Best BBQ" in Cullman 10 years in a row. I guess the owner was the only one that voted.

glockerjeff23
08-26-2008, 08:41
the rocket in jacksonville is good

FM12
08-27-2008, 22:33
Countrys is hit and miss, mostly pretty good though, in various locations, Montgomery, Troy, etc.

thooks
08-28-2008, 13:49
Countrys? Countrys Barbecue? You mean where they lay a plate of fat out and expect you to pay for it?

No thanks.

Keith5579
08-31-2008, 01:57
Another vote for Tin Roof BBQ. Their pulled pork is the best around. Try the pulled pork, fries and fried green tomatoes. Dont forget the sweet tea.

W Turner
09-02-2008, 02:04
Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur. The 6th avenue location is better than the other. Never eaten at the one in Huntsville. Home of white sauce, but I like mine better.

Whitt's (Decatur again) is ok, but they keep their pork on steam tables and it gets kinda soggy at times.

W

Joe D
09-03-2008, 05:29
I was a little disappointed with Bob Gibson BBQ - OK but not has good as the hype. We were having a meeting at our range last night finalizing some of the stages for the Masters Match in a couple of weeks. A friend brought some Tin Roof BBQ for us to eat. I did not complain as the food was free, but it was not very good.
We had some BBQ at Moe's on Rocky Ridge Monday. It is not bad for smoker BBQ.
Don't know about anyone else but I can tell the difference in smoker BBQ and pit BBQ. Give me pit BBQ.
If you have not tried it go to Tin Top in Calera. It is pretty darn good BBQ.
I have said this before - the world is full of folks that don't know what good BBQ tastes like. I recall once in Atlanta a person was telling me how great this BBQ place was so I tried it. It was as bad as Johnnie's in Cullman. When I asked her where else she had eaten BBQ she replied that was the only place.
There is edible BBQ and then there is good BBQ.

sullivanpm
09-04-2008, 04:16
Top Hat meat is ok. I hate their sauce. Matter of fact when we eat there we bring our own sauce. The worst garbage I have ever eaten is at Johnnie's in Cullman. It is bad beyond belief. The beans taste like they came right out of a Van Camps can. I chuckle every time I see the sign on 65 N proclaiming that Johnnie's has been voted "Best BBQ" in Cullman 10 years in a row. I guess the owner was the only one that voted.
20 years ago Top Hat BBQ was one of the best BBQ restaurants in the State.
Their whole fried catfish is still pretty good IMHO. I agree their sauce is pretty bad.

sdsnet
09-04-2008, 05:08
Big Daddy's BBQ in Houston. Their smoked turkey breast is the best I have tasted.

BamaBud
09-06-2008, 10:17
I realized long ago that each person has their own taste in most things, so if you don't like someone's suggestions, they are worth what you paid.

"Opinions are like *******s. Everyone has one, and most of them stink."

Lone_Wolfe
09-09-2008, 21:51
13th Street BBQ in Phenix City.

Does anyone remember Chicken Comers in that old shack?

mossy500camo
09-12-2008, 12:44
DAMN! I never get out enough.....

Robert A.
09-15-2008, 18:18
13th Street BBQ in Phenix City.

Does anyone remember Chicken Comers in that old shack?

I do. 13TH Street BBQ is alright, but the sause is a little too thick for me.

Joe D
09-16-2008, 18:37
Does anyone remember Ollie's in Bham?

cranejc
09-18-2008, 23:18
The BBQ Place in Fort Payne, hands down boys. You haven't lived until you know what JoJo's are.

sullivanpm
09-19-2008, 04:37
Does anyone remember Ollie's in Bham?
Yep just past the interstate on University Blvd.
pretty good BBQ

Joe D
09-19-2008, 08:25
BTW here is a website that really gives some B'ham history.
www.birminghamrewound.com

Kasinefect
09-29-2008, 20:40
[QUOTE=BamaBud;11139570]If you want North Carolina style, try Miss Myra's in Cahaba Heights.

I'm not too far from Miss Myra's and they are great! I'm afraid that Carlisle's on Southside is closed.

sweethomebama
10-23-2008, 16:37
Miss Myra's in Cahaba Heights

Joe D
10-26-2008, 20:06
My friend and I stopped at Big Daddy's BBQ in Warrior the other day to try some of the ribs that won Best of Bham a month ago. We both ordered a pork plate. I got a rib on the side.
The rib was just ok - not bad but no better than Dream Land. The pork plate was not so good. It was a little bit too greasy for us. The sauce and beans we good OTOH.