I need a new rifle (or two) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a new rifle (or two)

Conrad
07-21-2002, 04:48
My brother is moving to Az and I will be heading out to visit some. Here in Fl I can do everything I want to with a 270, a 22, 22mag and a 12 ga. What should I add for my upcoming travels ? Been thinking of the following: 22-250 or a 25.06, and a 300 win mag or a 7mm mag. Input greatly appriciated, thanks.

TScottW99
07-21-2002, 06:52
well the 22-250 and the 25-06 are both great rounds. just depends on what you want to shoot with them. i would proably choose the 22-250 since you already mentioned a .270 which is a great deer gun for FL or out west. the .22-250 would be great for yotes and other predators with out causing alot of pelt damage. As for the two big boys , 7mm mag and 300 win mag, that's your choice.. they are both good strong rounds and capable of taking very large game. The 7mm in my opion is a little flater shooter but some people swear otherwise. For the weapon itself I would strongly recommend looking at the Tikkas. They are made my Sako and are some really nice rifles. Alot of people don't care for their looks but you will hear no complaints on the trigger or action. They are a dream to shoot and come with a 100 yard 1" 3 shot group promise before leaving the factory. All of this for the same price of a Remington 700 (around $400-$450). Good luck with whatever you decide on though.

07-21-2002, 08:12
Get yourself a Thompson Center Encore rifle. Then you can add barrels relatively cheaply for whatever application you're looking for.

I use mine with a 24" .270 barrel for hunting deer in open country, I throw on a 26" 22-250 barrel when I'm in the varmint mood, and I use my pistol grip and 10" .44 Magnum barrel for deer in close and woodsy terrain.

They're lightweight, very versatile, and really accurate. The strength of the design also lets you push the envelope a bit more when reloading too.

TScottW99
07-21-2002, 09:09
lol good suggestion Marine... I got to thinking about this thread and was coming back to also suggest the Encore. I'm saving up right now to get one. There a million differn't barrels available. Check here for some great custom bbls... bullberry (http://www.bullberry.com)

T/C also sells bbls in pretty much the same calibers with a lower price tag.