SBS2003 backup/export [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SBS2003 backup/export

havensal
08-29-2008, 05:02
What is the best way to backup/export users, computers, printers, and the like on a SBS2003? Are there DB files hidden somewhere that can be copied? I know there is an option to backup licenses, I've done that along with my full backups. I have exported the users and computers to a list, but see no import option to use later. :dunno:

It may help to know why.

I have had issues in the past with Windows updates corrupting files and turning my server into a toaster. I really am not a fan or repair installs, unless necessary. I am looking for a way to back up the things I need to do a full format and reinstall with as little trouble as possible. :wavey:

This is a simple file server/domain controller/print server. Nothing actually runs off it. No Exchange. All data is on a separate partition from the OS. :cool:

srhoades
08-29-2008, 17:14
When it comes to SBS, there is no such thing as "with as little troube as possible."

The general rule of thumb with SBS if it is the only domain controller is to just start from scratch. I guess in theory you could use NTbackup to save the system state and then follow the documented procedures to restore active directory from that, but I have never done that with SBS so I can't attest to if/how well it works.