Which brands of RAM is good, which are bad? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which brands of RAM is good, which are bad?

Thirties
08-29-2008, 12:51
I'm going to max out my Gateway laptop RAM.Now have 2 X 512meg. Want to buy 2 X 1gig.

There are the following brands:

Ultra
Crucial
PNY
Centron
Kinston

link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=844&name=1024MB-PC2700-Memory

Are any of these brands good; are any of them dogs? All cost the same: $50 each 1gig, and the Kingston is $40 each.

Any advice regarding which brand to buy?

Viper16
08-29-2008, 13:41
Crucial
G.Skill
Corsair
Patriot

its not necessarily about cost, but rather the speed of the ram. you would want a faster ram if you have a slower cpu...it will help with your performance.

Have you tried newegg.com for better deals? years ago tigerdirect use to be more expensive than other online retailers.

ND40oz
08-29-2008, 13:46
Your link is all desktop ram. Get something from this list. I'd go with the patriot or gskill since they're the cheapest and they're both solid companies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010260381%201309221120%201309121113&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Thirties
08-29-2008, 13:48
Ended up with PNY. Called Tiger because that's where I bought the computer a few yrs ago, and they had the exact specs on replacement memory. Also picked up two 2-gig thumb drives for $10 each.

Thanks.

ps, yes, my links are for desktop. That's why I felt comfortable ordering from Tiger. Got the right thing.

IndyGunFreak
08-29-2008, 18:42
Ended up with PNY. Called Tiger because that's where I bought the computer a few yrs ago, and they had the exact specs on replacement memory. Also picked up two 2-gig thumb drives for $10 each.

Thanks.

ps, yes, my links are for desktop. That's why I felt comfortable ordering from Tiger. Got the right thing.

I've used PNY before, and I don't recall it being an issue(someone else bought it)

Being a creature of habit, and sticking w/ what I know works well, I use Kingston or Crucial. Never had a prob w/ either.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
08-29-2008, 18:46
Have you tried newegg.com for better deals? years ago tigerdirect use to be more expensive than other online retailers.

I'm guessing that was a very very long time ago(like over 10).. I've used Tiger Direct for a long time, and never felt like I paid them excessively compared to other retailers. Maybe a few bucks here and there... most the time though, prices were extremely similar. Main reason I like Tiger, their big shipping place is in Illinois, I pay for 5-7 day shipping, if I order before Noon, I have it the next day around 3:00. :)

Newegg, and this is not a complaint by any stretch, I always wait the full 5-7 days. i'd have a problem if they told me 5-7 days, and it was 3 weeks, but they've always met their delivery time w/ me.. I just prefer TD because its quite a bit faster(for me)..

:)

IGF

Thirties
08-29-2008, 19:22
Thanks for your comments. I'm never worries about a few days more or less. I have had straightforward dealings with all three companies mentioned. i needed to know I was getting the correct memory, and Tiger had my sales detains from when I first bought that computer and extra memory at the time.

Blitzer
08-29-2008, 19:46
I have been using Crucial for my PC upgrades and find it flawless!

Blitzer
08-29-2008, 19:48

Thanks.

Tiger has been getting poor marks for data security as of late. Check GT for other posts discussing that topic!

:steamed: :wow: :whistling: :dunno:

Razrbk444
08-29-2008, 21:33
Kingston first for me, then Crucial.

tous
08-30-2008, 06:29
Try A-Data. They're a little cheaper than Crucial, OCZ, Patriot or Corsair. I have tons of their memory in various workstations and it's been flawless.

Oddly, I use Kingston, considered a budget brand, in my servers and have never had a problem.

If you're ordering on-line, read the reviews. Yes, you'll have to filter out the fanboys, whiners and nitpickers, but most reviews are valuable.

Stick with the major brands and you'll be fine.

Good luck, mi amigo.

IndyGunFreak
08-30-2008, 13:37
I don't think I've ever heard of Kingston being a budget brand... hmm.

Regardless, if it works, it works, and thats all that matters to me. I've used it many times w/o issue.

IGF