Linksys router troubles [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linksys router troubles

Razrbk444
08-31-2008, 12:55
Pretty much the entire city I live in lost power for about an hour yesterday evening. Now I can't connect to the internet through my wreless router (Linksys WRT54G). Only by bypassing it and going directly through my cable modem can I connect. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Linksys tech support that had such a crappy phone that they were breaking up so bad it sounded like a cell phone from an underground bunker. I finally lost connection with them without resolving the issue. Anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to by a replacement? Thanks for any input.

IndyGunFreak
08-31-2008, 15:14
Pretty much the entire city I live in lost power for about an hour yesterday evening. Now I can't connect to the internet through my wreless router (Linksys WRT54G). Only by bypassing it and going directly through my cable modem can I connect. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Linksys tech support that had such a crappy phone that they were breaking up so bad it sounded like a cell phone from an underground bunker. I finally lost connection with them without resolving the issue. Anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to by a replacement? Thanks for any input.

I'd suspect some sort of power surge... Might be time to just get a new router.

IGF

Razrbk444
08-31-2008, 17:35
I'd suspect some sort of power surge... Might be time to just get a new router.

IGF

Yeah. You're probably right. I'll tinker with it a few more minutes this evening and if it doesn't work, it'll be a target for my .45. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow. Thanks Indy.:wavey:

Jtemple
08-31-2008, 17:37
We got hit by lightning and it cooked my router, my cable modem, and a TV. Every item in question was plugged into a surge protector, except the TV. Since then, I pay a monthly fee for "whole house" surge protection from the power company. They'll cover up to $50,000 in surge damages, even lightning strikes.

sdsnet
08-31-2008, 17:51
Can you get to the web interface of the router ? What do the WAN statistics say ? Does the router have an IP address from your provider ?

Razrbk444
08-31-2008, 20:50
Problem solved.....I replaced it with a new one.

ETA: I also got my ATT 8525 Windows Mobile phone setup on my wireless network. Was unable to before.:supergrin:

10-32
09-13-2008, 15:40
OK guys, I'm going to try to piggy-back here instead of posting a new thread.

Same router, different problem. I know the router works because I'm using it right now.

Problem: I have two laptops and a PS3. I have a desktop, but have no space for it here. I want to set up a wireless network so both of the laptops work wirelessly, but I need a "host" computer - like a desktop- to do this apparently. I tried using the PS3, but it won't read the set-up disc.

So how can I set up this router? I've tried and failed several times. Right now the wireless works but it's an unsecured network. I set it up as a secured network, but it came out open anyway for some reason. And I have no internet to the PS3 even though the "blue cable" is plugged into it.

I know this can be done, but I'm clearly missing something. I know there's some smart folks on here, so if y'all could help me out I'd be very grateful.

IndyGunFreak
09-13-2008, 16:24
Ok, You have two Laptops...

Why not just install the software for the router on one of the laptops, hook it up via ethernet cable to the router, setup the router how you want, then just log the other computers in to the wireless network you set up, unplug the router's ethernet cable from the laptop... The router doesn't have to have a "wired" connection to any computer, a connection and a modem is really all thats required.. I guess if your modem was a USB modem, you might require a host PC.

Do you plan to put the desktop online via wireless, or via ethernet connnection to the router? If you want it on via wireless, go get one of those usb wireless devices, and use it to log in to the wireless network. I have a friend who's network is setup like this... 1 laptop, 1 PC. The router and modem, are on a small shelf in hung on the wall of their kitchen.. shelf has the modem and the router. Installed router software on the laptop, hooked it up via ethernet to the router to log in to the router, and setup the wireless network, then unplugged it. If via ethernet connection, then just put it in a place where you can run ethernet cable. If you have a crawl space, or a basement with easy access, you'd be amazed how quick you can put a router somewhere, and by drilling a couple holes, or running ethernet cable through pipe chases, etc.. Generally very easy to do, but it of course depends on the layout of your house.

IGF

10-32
09-13-2008, 20:13
Well thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how, but I got it to work atleast for the PS3 and one of my laptops. I've done this before, but I was having a heck of a time for some reason this time. Normally I just set it up on a laptop, then switch the ethernet cable from the laptop to the PS3 and I'm good. That's essentially what I did this time, it just took a few tries to make it work for some reason.

If I had room for the desktop I think it would have been easier, but whatever. It's working for the time being.

I live in the barracks so I'm VERY limited on space and don't have many options here. Well, if it holds up until January I'll be a happy man.

Thanks again.