Deer Jerky [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer Jerky

Usingmyrights
08-31-2008, 18:04
I got to thinking (and maybe thats the problem), but I know when you make you're own jerky you want the meat to be as lean as possible to prevent the fat from going rancid. I've never used hamburger since the leanest I could find was 80/20. Now when you get deer proceeded, if you want hamburger you've got to add fat. Well it seems to me that if its going to be made into jerky that you'd just want to leave it alone so it will be nice and lean and keep longer (assuming it last more then a few days-week).

JohniusMaximus
08-31-2008, 18:09
I got to thinking (and maybe thats the problem), but I know when you make you're own jerky you want the meat to be as lean as possible to prevent the fat from going rancid. I've never used hamburger since the leanest I could find was 80/20. Now when you get deer proceeded, if you want hamburger you've got to add fat. Well it seems to me that if its going to be made into jerky that you'd just want to leave it alone so it will be nice and lean and keep longer (assuming it last more then a few days-week).

Very true. I grind my own venison and rarely add anything to it. If I need to mix in something to make burger I do it after thawing and right before cooking. I like it lean.

noway
08-31-2008, 23:18
ditto, if you cut the meat off the spine it's lean and clean for jerky. try to cut this loin in long strips, then add your seasoning or brine solution and then air dry.

if you want to speed it up, start a smoky fire with something like hickory or mesquite and add smoke, but not so much heat that you cook the meat. jerky by all means is dried and not cook.

then store in plastic containers with dessicant for water/moisture control. you could also vaccum seal and freeze them also.

Usingmyrights
09-01-2008, 10:56
ditto, if you cut the meat off the spine it's lean and clean for jerky. try to cut this loin in long strips, then add your seasoning or brine solution and then air dry.

if you want to speed it up, start a smoky fire with something like hickory or mesquite and add smoke, but not so much heat that you cook the meat. jerky by all means is dried and not cook.

then store in plastic containers with dessicant for water/moisture control. you could also vaccum seal and freeze them also.

Jerky doesn't last long enough to vaccum seal and freeze. I need to find a place that does processing out here.

noway
09-01-2008, 11:06
Jerky doesn't last long enough to vaccum seal and freeze. I need to find a place that does processing out here.

I hear you, I'm in the same boat. I make maybe enough for 3 months of supplies but it's gone in about 2 weeks. ;)