Do you turn your modem, router, desktop completely off when you're away from home? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn your modem, router, desktop completely off when you're away from home?

The Pontificator
08-31-2008, 19:34
How about your desktop computer? Is completely powering down and unplugging your modem/router/desktop on a routine basis even a good idea?

We have lots of T-storms here.

Dandapani
08-31-2008, 19:38
everything is up 24x7. i have everything on UPS with surge protection on everything including the cable connection.

The Pontificator
08-31-2008, 19:49
everything is up 24x7. i have everything on UPS with surge protection on everything including the cable connection.

When the installer came to hook me up with cable TV and high speed I showed him my sizeable new surge protector complete with in and out jacks for the coaxial cable. He said it was unnecessary and in fact might even cause harm.
He said that coax is already well grounded. He might have been right. He might have been full of $(#* too. Who knows?

Dandapani
08-31-2008, 19:59
Cable guy, FOS :rofl:

The Pontificator
08-31-2008, 20:32
Cable guy, FOS :rofl:

Then I'll definitely go to Lowe's tomorrow and get an extra piece of coax to run from the surge protector to the modem.

BTW...

As a person new to wireless, I've noticed that there are some nearby networks (obviously fellow apartment dwellers being where I live) whose networks appear and disappear from the scanner at different times of the day. This leaves me to believe that they're powering down their routers when they're not home. Is my assumption correct? Since I can see the names of the networks may I also assume that their not turning off their respective SSID's?

SomeDay
08-31-2008, 22:54
I leave mine on all the time, just easier that way. Of course, if I had a laptop, it would be off when I'm not around.

Razrbk444
08-31-2008, 23:04
I turn mine off when I go to bed. I unplug everything when I'm home during severe storms. An uncle of mine lost his PC, HDTV, and several small appliances to lightening a couple of months ago.

windplex
08-31-2008, 23:14
I unplug the computer when gone for a week.

Thanks for the reminder; I need to add the wireless modem even though it is not open to other users.

Off topic but related -- learned the hard way to turn off water pressure to house. When turn on open valve SLOWLY to allow system to pressurize with minimized stress to pipes/system.

From experience a pin hole in a pipe can dump one hell of a lot of water into your home over a week -- quite impressvie and unexpected abundance of water from a pin hole. learn from my bad luck:)

IIRC close to $20,000 from first floow pinhole -- would have been much higer if it happened in second floor.

windplex
08-31-2008, 23:18
How about your desktop computer? Is completely powering down and unplugging your modem/router/desktop on a routine basis even a good idea?

used to keep desk top running 24/7 based on another persons advice. as you know eventually the temporary memory/files build up to a point where the computer fails to operate properly -- coputers at lest windows based need to be turned off to clear temporary files.

from a surge standpoint I turn off computers and unplug televisions when away.

Sgt. Schultz
09-01-2008, 07:44

This has been a bad year for computers getting damaged as the result of thunder storms in my area, but itís been good for my business. :whistling:

Personally I always disconnect my computers, router, cable modem, TV etc Ö whenever I go on vacation. If I happen to be home and a bad storm comes rolling in I do the same. All the protection in the world is not going to save your electrical equipment if lightning strikes the immediate vicinity of your home, itís better to be safe than sorry.

Off topic but related -- learned the hard way to turn off water pressure to house. When turn on open valve SLOWLY to allow system to pressurize with minimized stress to pipes/system.

Donít forget about wash machine hoses, most people do. They install new ones when they buy the washer and never think about them again Ö until they rot and burst.

Sgt. Schultz
09-01-2008, 07:49
As a person new to wireless, I've noticed that there are some nearby networks (obviously fellow apartment dwellers being where I live) whose networks appear and disappear from the scanner at different times of the day. This leaves me to believe that they're powering down their routers when they're not home. Is my assumption correct? Since I can see the names of the networks may I also assume that their not turning off their respective SSID's?They could be powering down or it could be a weak signal, bad weather or some other interference and you're just losing the signal.

Sgt. Schultz
09-01-2008, 07:54
When the installer came to hook me up with cable TV and high speed I showed him my sizeable new surge protector complete with in and out jacks for the coaxial cable. He said it was unnecessary and in fact might even cause harm.
He said that coax is already well grounded. He might have been right. He might have been full of $(#* too. Who knows?Agree, he's FOS ... however the cable modem belongs to the cable company if it gets zapped they will replace it, just be sure to disconnect the Cat5/USB cable that connects to your pc whenever necessary.

Packin' Heat
09-02-2008, 09:15
computers and home neteworking gear are on pretty much 24/7. when we're out of town for a week or more usually then we shut everything down and sometimes unplug the most important stuff. no particular reason, just becuase I guess. I really ought to get all new surge protectors since most of them are a billion years old and prolly not very surge-protecty. I had a sweet UPS but it died due to age. never replaced it. I need to.

d3athp3nguin
09-02-2008, 11:31
Just remember, if you intend to pipe your cable, internet connection etc. through a surge protector before it goes to your PC/TV/whatever, it's another potential point of failure if something in your connection goes wonky. No internet? Could be the PC, could be the cable, could be the surge protector your network cable is going through...

I might unplug some stuff in a really nasty storm, but usually all the power cables are in a surge protector. If you're the type that likes to save every kw/h of power while away, you may be interested to know that most gadgets consume a small amount of power in their "off" state when plugged in.