New indoor range in Woodbridge??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New indoor range in Woodbridge???

williamcthomas
08-31-2008, 22:15
Does anyone know about a new indoor range in Woodbridge?

The Washington Post, Sunday 31 Aug, Prince William County section reported that " The Shooters Range" 13881 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Woodbridge was granted a special use permit to allow an indoor commercial shooting range. It was in the "what's coming" page that shows new residential or commercial development along with a map showing the locations.

This would be a great asset to the area since Shooters Paradise had the fire.

Anyone have any info?

vafish
09-01-2008, 06:57
I've heard rumors of one coming in Manassas, but I thought it was going to be on the west side of Manassas. Last I heard that one was still about a year from opening.

Don't think it's the same one, but I'll ask.

williamcthomas
09-02-2008, 21:00
Just noticed the address of old Shooter's Paradise was 13979 Jeff Davis Hwy. So this is not a permit to rebuild in the same location. But it is in the same area.

Anyone with info sound off.

saminksiii
09-03-2008, 03:05
Did a quick search on the PW county site but couldn't find anything. As far as west of Manassas, it would be really cool if Bernie's guys at Virginia Arms opened a range somewhere.

Orkinman
09-08-2008, 09:31
Did a quick search on the PW county site but couldn't find anything. As far as west of Manassas, it would be really cool if Bernie's guys at Virginia Arms opened a range somewhere.

I've been thinking the same thing. We really need a range in the west half of the county. Every time I go to VAC I tell them it would be great if they would open a range because I know tons of people who would prefer that to going to Blue Ridge or the NRA. Think of the Ammo I could buy with all that saved Gas....

Also, I really prefer to not to go east of Hoadly unless I have to. I read the police blotter and police briefs and choose not to throw myself in harms way. So I doubt I'd go to that new range on Rt. 1.

VaFish, what have you heard about a new range in our neck of the woods?

Fungunner
09-09-2008, 11:31
Guns and Ammo Warehouse, in Manassas, had been talking about opening a range since the day they opened their doors. That was when they were being run by the first owner. I'm not sure whether the current owner has been devoted to the cause. I'd like to think it would be a money maker, if set up and run properly.

There is a small indoor and outdoor range at the Izaac Walton in Brentsville. All ya gotta do is join.

http://www.geocities.com/pwiwla/

novaDAK
09-09-2008, 15:05
G&A Warehouse looks to have the room for an indoor range last time I was there. It'd be great if a range opened in Manassas...it would probably ease the burden on Blue Ridge, NRA, and Gilberts as those are the only indoor 'public' ranges in the area.

vafish
09-10-2008, 08:34
VaFish, what have you heard about a new range in our neck of the woods?

The guys I know that were talking about it have put it on hold due to the sluggish economy. It still might happen, but from the time they decide to do it, until the doors open it would be at least 18 months.

The one of Jeff Davis might be going in the old Giant store location. Not the guys I know running it.

williamcthomas
09-12-2008, 21:21
I agree there is a need for a new range in western NoVa. I'd like to see a new indoor range as well as an outdoor rifle/pistol range.

What we need now is for 2 individuals to step up. First, a wealthy shooter to bankroll the business. It wouldn't be a big money maker but more of a hobby business. Just like keeping horses. Second, an experienced businessman/shooter/manager who could run the range well.

I'm sure there are many GT members who could fill these shoes!

Looking back, I wish 30+ years ago the NRA had bought land off of Rt 66 and built a nice outdoor range complex. It could have been the premier outdoor range in the northeast. Their fine indoor range in Fairfax is certainly top of the line. Unfortunately land is too expensive now. Instead the NRA poured $ into the Whittington range in New Mexico located far from a popuation center.

novaDAK
09-12-2008, 23:02
I'm just a college student but I'd volunteer to be a range officer in exchange for free rangetime :supergrin:

williamcthomas
09-13-2008, 20:10
Ask the local indoor ranges about P/T range officer positions. They are often looking for help and sometimes you can get training or certification. Check it out!

Good luck.

novaDAK
09-14-2008, 12:36
Ask the local indoor ranges about P/T range officer positions. They are often looking for help and sometimes you can get training or certification. Check it out!

Good luck.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out.

nick__45
09-26-2008, 22:25
Anyone knows how much Blue Ridge Arsenal charge per hour? The last time I was there, I wasn't impress with their gun selection as I know people with more guns than that store. I didn't even ask about the range because there was no employee in the store. I thought it would be a big store considering all the promotions on radio but it is the smallest one I've been to.

ChuteTheMall
09-26-2008, 22:35
I think Blue Ridge Arsenal charged an outrageous $20 per hour last time I was there.

d3athp3nguin
09-26-2008, 23:59
NOVA? We need more indoor ranges near Richmond!

I go to an indoor range near here a bit, but they charge out the wazoo for ammo, and don't want you to use your own. It's like $17 for a box of 9mm!! Range fees aren't too bad though; to my knowledge they don't charge hourly. I also like the little "IPSC" events they do on mondays.

nick__45
09-27-2008, 06:33
Well, I am glad there is still Chickahamony range, which is 110-120 miles from me but well worth the trip. The only unfortunate issue is that they close the handgun side and turn it into shotgun only.

I think Blue Ridge Arsenal charged an outrageous $20 per hour last time I was there.

This is ridiculous. The store itself sucks as there selection sucks. My collection is probably larger than their.

NOVA? We need more indoor ranges near Richmond!

I go to an indoor range near here a bit, but they charge out the wazoo for ammo, and don't want you to use your own. It's like $17 for a box of 9mm!! Range fees aren't too bad though; to my knowledge they don't charge hourly. I also like the little "IPSC" events they do on mondays.

I think you may be refering to Dominion Range. I never understand these places that make you buy their ammo for 300% the price of a regular joint.

When I was down Norfolk, I always went to Bob's. I charged $8 for the whole day and you shoot my you brought for your own gun. For the rental guns, they ask that you only use factory ammo that is still sealed in the paper box and not the reload stuffs. That is a great place. I think they charge $20-30 for a year membership.

zeker2
09-27-2008, 11:00
Most stores pay a lot in advertisng just to get you in the door. Reasonabe range fees and allowing you to shoot your own ammo would bring people in. Most days at Shooter's Paradise I had to wait in line to get a lane - and guess what I was doing while waiting - pressing my nose to the guncase and adding guns to my wish list.

I don't know about the rest of you, but every time I walked in the door at Shooter's I always found something I needed to buy (reloading supplies, cleaning supplies, holsters, etc.,) and on more than one occasion found a firearm that I just had to buy that day.

I went to Blue Ridge after Shooter's went up in smoke and was turned off by their range and membership fees. Have not been back since and still looking for a new "Home Range". In the past year I made 4 "impulse" purchases of firearms. None were bought at Blue Ridge because they couldn't entice me to walk in the door. Wonder if they know the business their losing?

GWSHARK
11-06-2008, 11:51
here you go...

http://www.pwcgov.org/planning/documents/PLN2009-00047.pdf

Aroooo
11-07-2008, 06:27
I got a VCDL email update last night. It was a good meeting. Here is the email/blog posting:

http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/354-VA-ALERT-Shooting-range-meeting-last-night-wow!.html

Glocktastic
11-09-2008, 10:49
Wow. That is so awesome!!! I work very close to there and would love the opportunity to pop in after work for some serious range time.

Kudos to the PWC review board.

rogerbb
11-19-2008, 13:25
The Board of Supervisors met last night the 18th and approved the Range.

The Range may be open as early as March

Aroooo
11-20-2008, 06:32
Here is the VCDL Update I got last night:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------

VCDL - your efforts paid off!

Last night the new range proposed for Woodbridge was approved by a 7 to 1 vote by the Prince William County Board of Supervisors (BoS)!

About fifty gun owners, mostly VCDL members from the Prince William County area, showed up for the hearing. Everyone was given a "Guns Save Lives" sticker.

When the time came for the range to be considered, pro-gun BoS member and Chairman At-Large, Corey Stewart, said, "And now for the good stuff!" Laughter broke out from all parts of the room!

The objectionable language from the County had all been REMOVED (banning loaded guns being carried to/from the parking lot, no cleaning of guns except for law enforcement, and ammunition restrictions).

Sixteen or so gun owners chose to speak.

There was only one person who spoke against the range, citing that the range was near a church and a school. (The church had given its, er, blessing, to the range already, BTW).

There was an interesting exchange during the question/answer session between the BoS and the range owner, Jack Andresen.

BoS member Frank J. Principi, who was fully against the range from the beginning, started pressuring Mr. Andresen to commit ON THE SPOT to put in a bunch of restrictions in his rules for the range. The pressure and tension in the room were palpable. The rest of the Board was clearly uncomfortable with what Mr. Principi was trying to do.

Finally, Mr. Stewart had had enough. He asked the County Attorney to confirm that the County could not require, nor enforce, the range doing ANY of the things that Mr. Principi was asking the range to do, even if Mr. Andresen were to agree to any of the items there at the meeting.

The County Attorney confirmed that to be true.

Mr. Stewart then ***dressed-down Mr. Principi*** for Principi's attempts to intimidate and pressure Mr. Andresen into making commitments, both under pressure and on the spot, that were not enforceable anyhow!

I have NEVER seen such a dressing-down of a BoS member by another before in a public meeting! But, Mr. Principi deserved every bit of it for acting like a tyrant. I wanted to cheer, quite frankly, but sat quietly along with everyone else during that exchange!

Good job, Mr. Stewart!

To show the mood in the room last night, BoS member Martin Nohe went so far as to correct one speaker who had said that the Second Amendment was a Constitutional right. Mr. Nohe said that the Second Amendment was a God-given right, not a Constitutional Right.

The room broke out in applause!

The one woman on the BoS, Maureen Caddigan, then moved quickly and proudly to make the motion to approve the range, much to the disappointment of other BoS members who wanted to do the motion, but were not as fast as she was! ;-)

If only the Norfolk City Council had even one person who was one-tenth as good as that!

The motion was seconded and passed, with all but Mr. Principi, voting in favor of the range.

Mr. Princi's reason for not supporting the range? He said because of all the gang members that hang out around the mall area, that the range being at that location would be a bad idea!

WHAT????? With a police substation at the range, lots of police training there, and lots of law-abiding citizens armed in the area???

Oh, sorry, my head almost exploded for a second there. Hopefully your head is OK, too. I should have warned you to get out the duct tape.

My fault: I accidentally tried to apply logic and reason to the statements of an anti-gunner. :-(

With the vote over, the room all but cleared out.

GOOD NEWS FOR VCDL MEMBERS

The range should be completed around the March 2009 timeframe. Mr. Andresen told me that when the range was ready, that VCDL would be invited to be the first group to have a shoot at the range, giving the staff a chance to work out any bugs before the official opening!

I will, of course, let you all know once we have a firm date for the shoot and what, exactly, the rules of the shoot are going to be!

--

BREAKING INFORMATION

Jack Andresen just sent me this to be passed on to you:

"As of last night, Northern Virginia has a new indoor shooting range, The Shooters' Range, Inc.
This came about as the result of a lot of hard work by a good group of people, not the least of which were the members of VCDL.
To just say thank you never quite seems enough, but, THANK YOU!!
To those of you who were able to come to speak on our behalf I want to convey a special thanks. Your presence was appreciated more than can ever be said.
Over the years, I have learned that you never forget a friend. Thank You, VCDL!

Jack Andresen"

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
IMPORTANT: It is our intention to honor all "remove" requests promptly.
To unsubscribe from this list, or change the email address where you
receive messages, please go to:
https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=10508235&id_secret=119783804-80fd2d