MD ranges? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MD ranges?

cessnastud
09-01-2008, 23:41
Hello MD Glockers!

My mother has recently moved back to Maryland and has begun to entertain the idea of a gun for home defense. I, living in Ohio, have absolutely no clue concerning MD gun laws. I hear there is a "list" of approved handguns and we'll work off that, but more importantly, are there any public ranges with rental guns in the Aberdeen/Bel Air/Joppatowne area. I told her I would take her shooting when I visit next, but I wanted to do some homework first. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks-

CS

Aquanewt
09-02-2008, 18:08
There are a few places in the Baltimore area she could rent a gun. Colonial arms on Deerco road off I-83 (Padonia Rd exit) comes to mind

CSnakes
09-02-2008, 19:10
http://www.ontargetdot.com/
good people, good place, slightly sketchy area, rentals are good, great gun for sale section a little pricey though

http://www.selectfire.com/
the staff is a little strange, some are outright condensending and rude, decent selection of rentals, okay selection for sale priced even higher.

be prepared to buy targets and range ammo at either for the rental guns.

big link here http://www.gunshowdirectory.com/local.asp?searchType=12&popState=MD

I'd call anyone of them first and make sure they have what you want to rent.

Good Luck,

CSnakes

Tx-G30
09-02-2008, 19:14
when i lived in Md, i use to go to Continental Arms off of Padonia Rd, by Denny's and On Target by Ft. Meade.

I use to belong to an outdoor range behind Huntvalley Mall but I forget their name. Those guys also run a gun shop back there.

cessnastud
09-02-2008, 21:24
Thanks guys. In my course of research I also came across Continental and Whitemarsh Arms. They seem like they are somehow connected. I also found a joint up in Bel Air. Horst and McCann (http://www.horstguns.com/index.html) is the closest to her location, but I think it could be fun to make a day of visiting other shops in the ares. Thanks again for the leads and if anyone has any reviews of H&M, I would like to get your impressions.

CS

glockman1980
09-04-2008, 07:31
i also attended Colonial arms on Deerco road off I-83 when i lived in Baltimore last year..now i live in Pennsylvania got my LTCF here so i carry all day now.. Baltimore wouldn't let anyone carry.why is it the places you need to carry most won't let you?? i lived in new york,new jersey,and Baltimore and the worse places wont let you carry for defense..? go figure

ChuteTheMall
09-30-2008, 08:54
http://www.silveradogunshow.com/silver.html

Has your Mom ever been to a gun show?

:wow:

Mike Rittenour
10-16-2008, 00:13
I live in southern MD, I just bought a G-26 from the local gun store, I know at one point a couple of years ago, There was a ban on what type of pistols you could buy and with what capacity mag you could buy them with. BUt within the last year Ive bought my G-17 and my G-26. The 17 came with 2 17 round mags.

rsagona1
10-16-2008, 12:58
Thanks guys. In my course of research I also came across Continental and Whitemarsh Arms. They seem like they are somehow connected. I also found a joint up in Bel Air. Horst and McCann (http://www.horstguns.com/index.html) is the closest to her location, but I think it could be fun to make a day of visiting other shops in the ares. Thanks again for the leads and if anyone has any reviews of H&M, I would like to get your impressions.

CS
I go to Horstguns all the time. Their awesome.

mazdaboi
10-23-2008, 21:15
Born and raised in MD. Military let me move to VA, love it down here. i do bring my firearms when i visit md, cause i dont trust ppl around here in VA and the guns in an apt when im not around. but still have yet to find a good place in MD to shoot. (unlike here in VA, there is a range every 10miles)

THere is an indoor place in Glenburnie, but never visited the place yet.

Anyone else go there?

NRGarrott
11-25-2008, 18:34
I haven't been to the indoor range in Glen Burnie, but i am a fan of On-Target in Severn. Its indoor and the staff is friendly.

N3OKI
05-20-2009, 12:18
I use to be a regular of On-Target. But that was a good 15yrs ago. Back when Gunny and Derek worked there. Could not beat having a membership. Walk in, get lane, shoot all day.........

Isaiah1412
05-22-2009, 11:51
Another +1 for Horst Guns, they have excellent range facilities, pretty good selection of guns for rental and purchase, and very knowledgeable and friendly staff. I took my NRA Basic Pistol course there, purchased my Glock and shoot there regularly.

The only downside is that its about the only range within 30-45 minutes of Bel Air/Aberdeen, so it can get fairly crowded, especially on weekends. If you really want to try a number of different rental firearms out I would recommend going during the week in the daytime.

PM me if you want my email, we can meet up for a few rounds and I can show you and your mom some cool places to grab lunch afterwards.

knattyman
05-24-2009, 05:39
Yes i regularly go to Select Fire in Glen Burnie, Ammo is kinda pricey but I mostly bring my own. They have rental fire arms, but they are a lil strict as far as speed shooting, head shots on targets etc, etc,.I mean I never had a problem but they stay in the shooting area giving out warnings and watching you on camera.If i had to rate it, I would say 6 out of 10 just because their staff is kinda rude and that makes for not as much fun as it should be. Wouldn't recommend

MDLibertarian
12-25-2009, 10:03
There is also the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore (http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/) located in Marriottsville off Marriottsville Road (just off I-70), but you need to be either a member or guest of a member of one of the clubs to shoot there. Another range is Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club (http://www.scfhclub.org/) in Pasadena. Like the aforementioned club, you either have to be a member of the club or a guest of a member to shoot there as well.

cal7279
01-29-2010, 17:27
There is the Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro, MD. It's affordable and they rent guns. A lot of newbies go there to try out guns. My favorite is the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. The lighting and ventilation is top notch. It's really a great facility. However, they do not rent guns. I'm actually a member at the NRA Range eventhough I live closer to other ranges in the DC Metro area. In my opinion, it's the best around.

Carlitos
04-21-2010, 12:02
I left MD for good over 10 yrs ago, but I was very active in the shooting scene before that.

You might try Duffy's gun room in Butler; they have a range for members but if you bought something they used to let you try it out.

Best gunshop around is Duffy's gun room; MUCH better than Valley gun accross the street.

If you are in Fell's Point, there is Baltimore gun - but the prices are high.

Up in Bel Aire, try the Gunpowder indoor range (they have rentals) their transfer fees were the lowest I found ($25) but if they stock the same gun they get pissy.

Deep Run Rifle & Revolver ran cool rifle, pistol and shotgun bowling pin shoots open to the public. Same goes for Continental Arms (tell Genie I said hi).

Out near Marriotsville, try Mountainside Hunters supply (they have handguns too). Nearby AGC range was where I spent a lot of time growing up, but I heard from friends who stayed taht they hired a real a-hole range officer; he was blatently racist towards an Asian buddy of mine - so I can't recommend joining anymore.

Aquanewt
04-27-2010, 02:26
Carlitos, you did leave 10 years ago, The only gunshop in Baltimore City limits in The Cop Shop on Baltimore St, The Baltimore GunSmith on Broadway got closed by the Feds, I'm pretty sure Duffy's is closed now and Valley became Just Guns but when they moved from Towson they went to Parkville/Carney (Harford Rd at Taylor Ave) The owner's wife operates it now as he had some kind of problem with the law. Walter's Gun Chamber right up the street is gone as well.
Cessna stud
I belong to a Gun club with an outdoor range off Harford Rd north of the Baltimore Beltway (Baltimore County Game and Fish) if there is any way I can help you and you Mom out let me know

aliasneo07
05-05-2010, 18:21
MD does have an approved handgun roster but pretty much you'll be able to find whatever you need.

I'd recommend taking her to on target and having her rent a few different guns. The rental fee is a flat fee and then you can switch to as many guns as you want for the same price.

Don't go to select fire you'll regret it.

Flipz
05-10-2010, 14:02
There is the Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro, MD. It's affordable and they rent guns. A lot of newbies go there to try out guns. My favorite is the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. The lighting and ventilation is top notch. It's really a great facility. However, they do not rent guns. I'm actually a member at the NRA Range eventhough I live closer to other ranges in the DC Metro area. In my opinion, it's the best around.
+1

I go to MSAR in PG County about 3 times a month. I actually live in Montgomery County but I prefer to drive to MSAR in PG County since I can bring my own ammo. Its Montgomery County law that if you go to an indoor range to shoot you MUST buy their ammo. Which is ridiculous since you pay an extra $10 per box of 50 instead of just buying it cheaper at Walmart. Not to mention their membership fees are more expensive also.

MSAR has a great staff and very reasonable pricing if you were to rent one of their guns to try out. You dont pay by hour which is an extra plus. You pay $15 for an entire day. You can go and shoot in the morning and leave for lunch and then come back and keep shooting. The only negative there is how busy they get. And personally I think they need to upgrade their ventilation system. But, Im a Gold Member there so obviously I like the place a lot.

Ive heard of an outdoor range out near Frederick that is supposed to be pretty good and cheap too. I dont remember the name but their only open on weekends and its like $2 for your entry fee and then like $1 per target. If anyone knows the name please let me know.

*Edit*
Cresap is the range in Frederick I was talking about. It has both a handgun and rifle range.

Carlitos
06-01-2010, 12:08
Carlitos, you did leave 10 years ago, The only gunshop in Baltimore City limits in The Cop Shop on Baltimore St, The Baltimore GunSmith on Broadway got closed by the Feds, I'm pretty sure Duffy's is closed now and Valley became Just Guns but when they moved from Towson they went to Parkville/Carney (Harford Rd at Taylor Ave) The owner's wife operates it now as he had some kind of problem with the law. Walter's Gun Chamber right up the street is gone as well.
Cessna stud

Dang - all three gone?!? It has been a while! Are they going after all the shops in MD or something??

Russ D
06-02-2010, 14:23
Duffy's is still open on Fridays and Mondays. The Cop Shop is a GSSF dealer so if looking to buy Glock consider that as well. As for ranges I live in Carroll County and use Hap BAker the public range in Westminster and AGC of Marriotsville rd. Considering I shoot there with a good friend who happens to be black I wouldnt worry about racist RO's. I've never seen him treated differently than anyone else and he seems to have developed a very good relationship with all the RO's.

irish_ironsight
08-31-2010, 15:19
My Mistake...

I just PM'd utterly useless details of a nice range in Bel Air, MD..

Just the wrong Bel Air, you see what happens when you listen to the Irish.:rofl:

prez1967
04-04-2011, 08:33
best range in MD by far is Del-Marva sporting clays up in Vienna (eastern shore). Out door range and a blast. I went up last year for the Frost Bite Shoot sponsered by MD Shooters and everyone had fun and it was safe. Open carry is acceptable and as long as your safe... you can do pretty much anything you want. Its a drive but its worth it.

Carrol County has a public outdoor range behind the county dump that i go to often enough as well... its "ok" at best but its next to the house.

Continental Arms is by far my favorite indoor range... good staff and great selection of rental guns.

DO NOT GO TO Select fire...

DrMarkP
04-14-2011, 19:35
cresap is the tange in frederick. as of 4/1/11 they have raised their rares from a $1 a shooter to $5 a shooter and from I think a $1 a target to $2

still teasonable, however, public access is limiter to saturdays and sundays.
other days reserved for military, local police etc.

drmarkp

DrMarkP
04-14-2011, 19:37
sorry for typos guys, typing in the dark here