Army Shifts from Green to Blue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Army Shifts from Green to Blue

Blitzer
09-02-2008, 18:57
Army Shifts from Green to Blue (http://www.military.com/military-report/army-shifts-from-green-to-blue?ESRC=miltrep.nl)

Week of August 28, 2008

A new Army message defines the wear policy of the new Army Service Uniform and gives "bridging" strategy for transition to the new uniform. The new Army Service Uniform will replace the white, blue and green service uniforms. Soldiers are expected to posses the entire uniform by July, 2014.

The two key components of the uniform, the coat and slacks, are expected to cost around $140, or $200 with modifications. Enlisted Soldiers will receive an increase in their annual uniform allowance to help offset the cost of the uniform.

For more information, visit the U.S. Army Service Uniform (http://www.army.mil/asu/) webpage.

:dunno: :whistling: :wow:

Tx-G30
09-02-2008, 19:21
did the army just adopt airfarce hand-me-downs?

have to admit, it does look pretty sharp.

Morris
09-03-2008, 03:08
I dunno, that band camp stripe on the pants . . .

Big Bird
09-03-2008, 07:10
Traditional Army colors from the Continental Army up until the Spanish American War.

RichardB
09-03-2008, 18:59
I remember when the Army Green uniform replaced the olive drab short "Ike" jackets and wool pants for enlisted men, there were many who complained that the new green uniform looked too much like a bus drivers outfit or circus ringmasters costume.

It's not my problem today, but I'll bet the tongues are working overtime in the "Green (soon to be Blue) Machine".

CPT_CRUNCH
09-10-2008, 17:12
i actually like the ASU. it looks pretty snazzy IMO and it means i'll worry about one less uniform. i will miss the greens and prefer if my current unit was represented in the ASU. but i'll manage either way for the 2 or 3 times a year when i'll wear it.

Norman
09-10-2008, 17:26
I'm so used to the green dress uniform with matching pants, and the light green shirts...

This will take some time for me to get used to. But I suppose if it's a return to the original colors, I guess it's better. That blue shirt though, God, it looks too much like the Air Force.

CPT_CRUNCH
09-10-2008, 17:58
no worries on the shirt its white not blue

CPT_CRUNCH
09-10-2008, 18:02
its all apart of the recent trends. everyones getting new uniforms. the navy is even talking about going back to the kahki service dress. af is talking about bringing back the "old" service dress hap arnold style jacket (although i dont know if you can really consider that OLD).

dox1842
09-11-2008, 09:02
bleh, I like the greens more. How many uniforms does a junior enlisted army soldier have total?? Im in the navy and we have like 6 uniforms.

CPT_CRUNCH
09-11-2008, 10:07
most junior enlist have currently have two, ACUs and the greens. at this time junior enlisted are not REQUIRED to have dress blues. but w/ the introduction of the ASU EVERYONE will be required to have two, ACUs and ASU (i'm not sure who, if any, is REQUIRED to have the short mess dress coat).

TacticalBling
09-18-2008, 09:06
Uhh...Maybe I'm just not seeing the history here or anything, but the uniform just seems out of place to me.

Especially the NCO uniforms, as they seem to be the biggest hodge-podge. The Male NCO wears a Class B shirt, dress blue pants with gold stripe, and combat boots? :shocked:

Not to mention the beret, but that's a decade-old gripe...

CPT_CRUNCH
09-18-2008, 10:30
tacticalbling...
here's your history lesson: http://www.army.mil/asu/

Fox
10-06-2008, 15:22
In wish the army went to khaki rather than blue for a class A and B uniform.

cowboywannabe
10-06-2008, 15:31
wasnt the Army the same branch that decided to be fair and equitable and give EVERYBODY berets?

so now instead of the issue of a G.B. to signify that one is above the cut substantially, they give them to everyone but just in a different color as to not have anyone feel left out....

GreenBeret1631
10-06-2008, 20:38
wasnt the Army the same branch that decided to be fair and equitable and give EVERYBODY berets?

so now instead of the issue of a G.B. to signify that one is above the cut substantially, they give them to everyone but just in a different color as to not have anyone feel left out....

Yes, that's right.

1.) Green Special Forces Regiment (18x MOS)

2.) Tan 75th Ranger Regiment (Qualified Ranger)

3.) Maroon Airborne Units

4.) Black The US Army (Not covered above.)

The only two that are not earned and are issues are numbers (3) and (4)

I don't count (# 3) as earned because all soldiers in assigned to an Airborne unit. wear the maroon beret. It's not restricted to qualified Paratroopers.

GreenBeret1631
10-06-2008, 20:49
most junior enlist have currently have two, ACUs and the greens. at this time junior enlisted are not REQUIRED to have dress blues. but w/ the introduction of the ASU EVERYONE will be required to have two, ACUs and ASU (i'm not sure who, if any, is REQUIRED to have the short mess dress coat).

If you are a career officer and/or senior NCO you will need a Mess Dress uniform sooner or later in your career. This is especially true, for Officers. Today's military have many more formal occasions then in the distant past. The Mess Dress, is really the Armies Tux for Black tie and/or White tie (w/White Vest) occasions.

Most commands will insist that assigned Officers, have a Mess Dress along with CSMs, SMs and E-8s. Other ranks may get more slack, especially E-5s and below. It all depends on your units and superior officers. Otherwise your evaluation may suffer some hits.

Hooah
10-06-2008, 22:41
Only people that are authorized to wear maroon, tan, green berets can wear the boots.

Dean
10-07-2008, 01:02
A WHITE SHIRT all the time?
The division crest and special duty badge - drill sgt - worn on the women's uniform way down by the beltline is just too much. Why are we sticking every badge on our soldiers? To dress them up like Vianese streetcar conductors?

Does EVERYBODY enlisted have to wear the beret all the time now?
Bloused boots, with blue and gold striped dress pants? A bit over the top isn't it?
YES, our soldiers do special duty and go to a lot of schools.
NO, they don't need to cover the front of their uniform with little pins to prove that to the world.

Rank, ribbons and a name tag is all that you need. Maybe one or two skill badges - not ten! I hope a lot of that stuff is optional. I admire the USMC uniform - but not dress blues for every day wear for Army soldiers. A soldier is a gentleman warrior, and a uniform is a business suit - not a white and dress blue merit badge sash. Can we call off the decorators, please?

cowboywannabe
10-07-2008, 07:16
i think that "Army of One" stuff was the turning point of the liberal mentality that has infected the Army, as well as other branches.....the commercials were quite laughable....anyone think they are an "Army of One"? get in a fire fight and see how long you last alone.....

that slogan was made up to feed the inflated egos of the public school kids who had been getting a pass in school for years because the mentality there was "we have winners and almost winners" as in nobody looses, everyone is equal, being smart does not get rewarded.....

getting a Beret in the Army used to signify the cream of the crop, and yes it was/is a green one.....but i guess the commanders felt the need to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy like the stores clerk who hands out wool blankets behind the enimey lines, and the generals driver and secretary who get a paper cut and take a day off to recover.....so Berets for everyone.....woo-whoo, nobody special anymore, nobody is held above the rest as better, we wont reward the extra effort, everyone is the same....

o.k., im done....

cadillacguns
10-17-2008, 03:47
Happiness from all this Bull$#!+ is a retirement check each month!!!

TacticalBling
10-17-2008, 09:16
getting a Beret in the Army used to signify the cream of the crop, and yes it was/is a green one.....but i guess the commanders felt the need to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy like the stores clerk who hands out wool blankets behind the enimey lines, and the generals driver and secretary who get a paper cut and take a day off to recover.....so Berets for everyone.....woo-whoo, nobody special anymore, nobody is held above the rest as better, we wont reward the extra effort, everyone is the same....

o.k., im done....

I don't know, my main complaint with the Army switching to berets (outside of looking like Europeans) is that the beret doesn't serve any useful purpose. When I was in we all had the soft caps, which shaded your eyes, and had folding earflaps if you really needed them. They did a fair job of camouflaging your head, not to mention you could stick a protractor and a small map up there if you were hard up for space.

I still have no idea why the Army would give up a part of its uniform, which was a functional piece of gear, for a decorative hat that served no other purpose.

Dean
10-17-2008, 09:21
i think that "Army of One" stuff was the turning point of the liberal mentality that has infected the Army, as well as other branches.....the commercials were quite laughable....anyone think they are an "Army of One"? get in a fire fight and see how long you last alone.....

I do not and will never understand the "Army of One" marketing campaign.
"Be all that you can be" was 10 times more sensible. :drillsgt:

Biscuitsjam
10-17-2008, 09:27
bleh, I like the greens more. How many uniforms does a junior enlisted army soldier have total?? Im in the navy and we have like 6 uniforms.This is just the tip of the iceberg:
ACUs
Summer PTs
Winter PTs
Class A (green dress uniform)
Class B (same as Class A, but with short sleeves)
Green tanker's nomax
Tan tanker's nomax
Green mechanic's coveralls

And, the stuff I don't have:
Flight suits
Tan mechanic's coveralls
Arctic uniform
Other Dress uniforms (5 or so different ones, plus variations for male/female and enlisted/nco/officer/general)

And, the uniforms that I have but are obsolete:
BDU winter (woodland camo)
BDU summer (woodland camo)
DCU (desert camo)
PT sweats

And, don't forget all the stuff we can put on over the uniform:
ACU lightweight raingear
ACU Gortex
Grey Fleece
ACU Poncho
Black Trench Coat (for the Class A uniform)
M.O.P.P. suit (or the new style)

And, the obsolete stuff:
Black Fleece
Woodland Gortex
Desert Gortex
Woodland lightweight raingear
Desert lightweight raingear
Woodland Poncho
BDU Field Jacket

You could add to this list forever, I think.

Biscuitsjam
10-17-2008, 09:29
I do not and will never understand the "Army of One" marketing campaign.
"Be all that you can be" was 10 times more sensible. :drillsgt:It was supposed to mean that we were all one team, I think. However, most people thought it meant you could be an individual badass. In any case, it's been replaced by the "Army Strong" advertising campaign.

TacticalBling
10-17-2008, 11:43
It was supposed to mean that we were all one team, I think. However, most people thought it meant you could be an individual badass. In any case, it's been replaced by the "Army Strong" advertising campaign.

I always took it to mean that while the team wins the battle, strong individuals make the team happen. Who knows?

I was a 'Be all you can be' recruit...Funny how I never heard that slogan again after Reception Station (except one kooky PLT SGT who made it his personal buzzword). :supergrin:

CPT_CRUNCH
10-17-2008, 13:07
If you are a career officer and/or senior NCO you will need a Mess Dress uniform sooner or later in your career. This is especially true, for Officers. Today's military have many more formal occasions then in the distant past. The Mess Dress, is really the Armies Tux for Black tie and/or White tie (w/White Vest) occasions.

Most commands will insist that assigned Officers, have a Mess Dress along with CSMs, SMs and E-8s. Other ranks may get more slack, especially E-5s and below. It all depends on your units and superior officers. Otherwise your evaluation may suffer some hits.
The Idea to stream line uniforms has happened multiple times in our Army's history. From 1779-1901 the Army had one uniform. Blue!!!! You could say Army units started wearing some forms of khaki and White uniforms in the 1880's but it was indeed a rare sight. Then in 1902 the Army came out with an olive drab uniform. Which was disliked by Soldiers as being to ugly and just plain weird looking. They said the Army's color was blue not greenish brown!!! Sound familiar? But in keeping with history the Army kept the blues around as an issued dress uniform. Also made the Soldiers happy too.

1917: The first stream lining of uniforms started around WW1 when the Army had to issue millions of combat uniforms. The blues were dropped and became an optional uniform. They were brought back for wear again after the war.

1927: So the 1920's role around and some lame brain General decides he wants to stream line uniforms. (Gee where have I heard this before?) He drops very popular high collar dress blue and White uniforms. The olive drab was used for every day wear. This is also the year the Marine Corps takes the lead over the US Army in uniform image propaganda. Damn them Devil dogs!!!!!http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

1937:The Army admits that it was a mistake to drop the whites and blues. So in 1937 the Army realizing that the olive drab uniform is not dressy enough so they bring back the dress blues (current version) and dress whites for officers only.

1941: Millions in uniform, back to olive drab only.

1946-47: The Army drops the optional officer only blue and white uniforms once again after they realize congress will not give the the funds for a new blue service uniform.

1954-57: The Army once again brings back the multiple uniforms to add to their greens and tan service uniforms. (President Truman had also questioned why the Army did not not have a snappy dress blue uniform)

1968: The Khaki service jacket is retired.

1985 Khakis (TW's) are phased out of the Army for the butt ugly green polyester mint green combo that most Soldier (not on this board) hated.

2006: Dress Whites are retired

2014: Greens to be retired

2015: Blue Service uniform last one standing. In the past it was the greenish looking uniforms that were the last ones standing. Now it's the blues turn.

Gee things go around in cycles huh? Not sure if the greens will ever make a come back seeing that they were never that well liked. Don't kid yourself either! But who knows?

My prediction.

2054: Army dress blues retired after a spate of office sniper attacks in the remains of the once American capital of Washington DC (now the Eastern demilitarized Zone with the Mexican Empire). The Army is forced again to adopt the Olive Drab uniforms to better hide the movements of their officers back and forth to the office. Soldiers are outraged and complain that the Army's color is blue not green. That the Marines all ready have a green service uniform!!!!!

2074: The Army realizes their mistake of streamlining uniforms again again and the whites and blues and whites come back on line

MstrPara
10-23-2008, 05:49
Greens aren't retired until 2014............I retire in 2012. One less uniform to buy for me!

I don't "like" the ASU, think it'd be better to go retro back to the old pinks and greens circa 1955, THAT was a sharp uniform.

That being said, I think the ASU is an improvement over the Greens. That shade of green........ugghhh :(

Hack
10-24-2008, 00:18
When I first went in the Army, (1980), it was primarily green. Green pickle suits, for Class C, khaki for Class B, and green Class A with tan poplin shirt, or white shirt and bow tie for dressier occasions, with senior enlisted wearing occasionally the dress, or mess blues. There were two weights of Class A, and overcoats. They slimmed it down a little bit beginning a little before I went in. They changed the Class C's to woodland camo, and special forces griped, and change the shirts on Class A's to mint green, then we were without the khaki and went to mint shirts and Class A trousers for use as Class B. I can't say I cared for it. I actually like the greens being phased out, and the simplicity that they are going for with blues. It is a little bit less to pack, for those who are deployed. It to me is more in line with the older traditions of earlier times, but that is my perception and I don't have to deal with it any longer, nor have had to for seventeen years. I deal with a LE uniform, and their changes, and they have gone to a little more complicated, but oh well, life goes on; and so does uniform changes.