Any reservists feeling the crunch? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any reservists feeling the crunch?

Hal9mm
09-03-2008, 11:42
It just feels like the reserves just occupies all of my time, its really hurting my civilian life and my married life.

I guess thats just the way it works, huh?

Has anyone found techniques for balancing the two, and keeping the reserves for taking over.

nothing
09-06-2008, 16:34
It just feels like the reserves just occupies all of my time, its really hurting my civilian life and my married life.

Has anyone found techniques for balancing the two, and keeping the reserves for taking over.

I'm full time, but I certainly understand. Especially when it comes to family life. I have 30 days of leave and everytime I try to burn it I end up in a pre mob school or on hurricane duty. Not to mention another mob coming up next year.

deadday
09-06-2008, 16:37
It sucks, but it's what we signed up for..

drew

Sam White
09-07-2008, 21:15
Even when there's nothing going on at my unit I still get phone calls, emails, have to stop out during the month, etc. The (soon to be) ex made sure to let me know she resented it.

On the other hand, I've seen people who wouldn't sacrifice for a military career who would sacrifice for a civilian career (not that I'm equating their sacrifice to a reservist's). Things worth doing usually involve sacrifices.

Linh40
09-07-2008, 21:27
I started in the reserve and after 3 yrs went active and then got out. One of the attorney I worked for in the reserve asked me if I wanted to go back in but I decided I should concentrate on my civilian job working for the government at least they pay overtime.

Seriously though I don't remember having much of a life during that 3 yrs active. 9 months in Germany preparing for Iraq, then 15 months in Iraq then 11 months at a crappy base with people that I didn't get along with.

I remember the reserve was laid back but that was before the war.

tc556guy
09-16-2008, 00:13
it's been a long time since the NG was only a weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. Especially since 9-11. My annual retirement points letter shows me well over the minimum points needed for a good retirement year for most of my past 19 years. Anyone joining the NG or ASAR really needs to know what they are getting themselves into. I hope there are no recruiters still selling recruits on the one weekend a month/ two weeks in the summer schedule, but maybe there are.

Postal Patron
10-04-2008, 17:02
Make the Army work for you!!! Don't kill your family or career over it!!! The Army is NOT worth it! I've had too many retiring guys tell me they'd do things different, the extra rank or deployment in many cases was not worth it!

deadday
10-04-2008, 19:05
Make the Army work for you!!! Don't kill your family or career over it!!! The Army is NOT worth it! I've had too many retiring guys tell me they'd do things different, the extra rank or deployment in many cases was not worth it!

Then they shouldn't have joined in the first place. You don't deploy because 'it's worth it'. You deploy because at some point you swore an oath to defend this Country, you made a commitment to put this Country before EVERYTHING else in your life. though I don't guess you understand given your above statements.:sigh:

drew

wrenrj1
10-04-2008, 19:30
I feel your pain. I retired from the ARNG as an E-7 PSG in 2002. I had completed a little over 21 years. Weekends were becoming 2-3 a month to fill in for my troops who could not fulfill support requirements, training meetings, etc. that were required but unpaid, and add in personnel issues, emergencies etc. that took away from my full-time job, graduate school at the same time, and family.

I'm not complaining because I made it work, and the training I received in the military helped me to balance it all. I'd do it all over again, however I knew when it was time to retire and move on with my civilian career.

I'd do it all over in a heart beat.

Postal Patron
10-05-2008, 09:00
Then they shouldn't have joined in the first place. You don't deploy because 'it's worth it'. You deploy because at some point you swore an oath to defend this Country, you made a commitment to put this Country before EVERYTHING else in your life. though I don't guess you understand given your above statements.:sigh:

drew

That's ok if you're active duty, but a Reservist has to balance family/job with Army and when the Army becomes too demanding (too much work for no pay) and threatens family/job, it is time to think about quitting, at least for a while.

You can support your country out of uniform.

Issues occur later on in a career.

The Army may not be able to compensate for loss of job (hear about ESGR?) or family. How many current married-one spouse senior NCOs do you know?

eisman
10-06-2008, 21:23
Currently on my third tour since '02. Stateside this time. There's a reason I'm single, but I can't blame the Army for all of it.

Reserve duty is hard. It's hard to justify at times. Certainly the Reserves (and the NG) are being used like never before. Semper Gumby.

AirCav
10-07-2008, 03:07

I did. I retired in June. :cool:

M-DAY certainly is a sacrifice and it's getting worse every year. It also seems like there are getting to be more and more full time (AGR/Technicians, guard bums, etc) personnel in the units. It's almost to the point that a part-timer can't keep up with the demands and the full timers soon forget what it's like to balance a "non-military" civilian job.

My hat's off to you guys still in it. :patriot:

the iceman
10-11-2008, 23:52
Is the reserves/guard really getting that bad? What is an average year like?

I was active duty so I never tasted the reserve stuff, but I figured it would be a cake walk.

Biscuitsjam
10-12-2008, 10:47

I was active duty so I never tasted the reserve stuff, but I figured it would be a cake walk.I enlisted for 6 years. By the time I'm finished, I'll have spent 3 years on active duty and an additional 6 months for "normal" National Guard stuff (weekend drill, annual training, schools, etc.)

A National Guardsman spends between 1/2 and 2/3 of his time in uniform. During the remainder, he has to maintain some kind of meaningful employment.

mitchshrader
10-12-2008, 11:49
go active, *or* get out, *or* get divorced.

those are the only options that change the question.

Central Texan
11-07-2008, 20:45
I'm a couple monts away from my 6 year mark, spent 3 of them deployed. Only now (been home from last deployment a year now) settling down and falling into a actuall 'civilain/reserve' life again. But yea it still takes up a lot of time. Especialy for us NCO's and the officers. Nobody ever said it would be an easy life.

tc556guy
11-08-2008, 04:58

I was active duty so I never tasted the reserve stuff, but I figured it would be a cake walk.

i've been in the Guard for 19 years. Since 9-11, there is no such thing as a typical year. yes, you have your scheduled monthly drills and a two week Annual Training.....the bare minimum. two weeks before 9-11, we completed a rotation at JRTC that was a 5 year spin-up. I recall standing in formation at Polk hearing that the following year would be a slow year for us. We all know what happened to end that way of thinking. Before 9-11, you often had NCOES schools to attend, other training schools such as Master marksman, Squad designated marksman, SAIROC...or the more typical couses like Air assault for selected personnel. Thats in addition to the stuff you think of as traditional Guard missions like state disasters, etc. Since 9-11, my unit has had six months of civilian airport guard duty, before the feds stood up TSA.
Two years of Air base defense when the Air Guard had Army
Guard units assigned to them to augment security. Nuke plant security details have been on-going since 9-11. we've been called up several times for Bridges and Tunnel callups for NYC. Last year to prep for this year in Afghanistan, we had three Annual training periods rather than one. That was for everyone. There were additional schools in mountain warfare, UAVs, etc that people went to. The officers in particular got run to death.