Kneadin' Bread!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kneadin' Bread!!

rhikdavis
09-03-2008, 14:42
I just finished hand kneading my first and last batch of bread dough...Ouch.....

:strong:

Then I looked at the mixers with a dough hook.....300 bucks!? ..double ouch...

Is there anything cheaper but still gets the job done??

Goldendog Redux
09-03-2008, 14:51
Get yourself a KitchenAid stand mixer for three bills. It should last a lifetime and are awesome. Those things knock out bread dough with ease.

MF

RWBlue
09-03-2008, 20:53
Get yourself a KitchenAid stand mixer for three bills. It should last a lifetime and are awesome. Those things knock out bread dough with ease.

MF

I think that is what I have. It has one beater?

As far as Pizza dough and Italian bread and Zuchini bread it works great.

I have additional attachments for it. They work great.

It will last a lifetime UNLESS you use it to grind corn into corn meal and to an extent wheat into flour. Or so I have been told.

Seriously, consider it an investment.

Goldendog Redux
09-04-2008, 08:48
I can bust out a pizza dough in a couple minutes with my Kitchen Aid.

MF

Str8shootr
09-04-2008, 12:34
This may sound dumb, but I actually enjoy hand kneading bread dough.

Few years back I got heavy into the Sourdough starter thing, and ended up baking fresh bread a few time a week for a couple of months. Turned out great.

Tips I picked up: Get a water mister, and spray a fine mist of water in the oven while baking......do it 3-4 different times, just a couple of sprays each.

I bought some unglazed terra cotta ceramic tiles (un finished) and laid them out on the oven rack (covered the rack with them) and laid the bread directly on them to bake. The crust was crustier and browned more evenly.

:wavey:

rhikdavis
09-04-2008, 19:32
How bout the hobart? :supergrin:

http://z.hubpages.com/u/1260_f520.jpg

Nata
09-04-2008, 23:19
Awsome! I can only dream about an industrial mixer like that, maybe I can find an used one on the flea market :)

I like Couisineart, but those toys are a lot of money so I keep kneading it by hand.

Recently I noticed a KitcheAid mixer at Wallmart selling for $197.00
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=887670

How reliable are those?

MrsKitty
09-05-2008, 09:18
That model of KitchenAid will make small batches of bread dough. It is the one we have. I do foccocia in it every week or two.

My mom had this one as I was growing up. We killed the motor a couple times and my father rebuilt it (I know nothing about that sort of thing but it was quick easy fixes both times). We decided to buy a new one and gave that one to a friend who doesn't use a stand mixer as much as we do. She has been using it without incident for ten years. Our new one hasn't so much as hiccupped in the same ten years. Note: we use it a LOT. The size bigger one with the bigger motor would have probably be the model we need but we didn't want the bigger one in our way as counter space isn't abundant around here.