Good browser for MAC OS9.2 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good browser for MAC OS9.2

Hauptmann6
09-04-2008, 21:34
I just inhereted a G3 any recomendations for a good brower? Firefox doesn't support it.

crimsonaudio
09-11-2008, 13:10
http://www.icab.de/

LinuxKnight
09-20-2008, 15:37
Depending on what kind of system it is, you can install Mac OS X on it, either 10.3 (Panther) or maybe 10.4 (Tiger), if it is beefy enough (enough RAM and CPU).
To install 10.4 Tiger your Mac needs to have Firewire ports.

I have two G3 Powerbooks, 400mhz, 384MB RAM, one runs OS X 10.4, other runs Ubuntu Linux. (wife's is OS X, mine is Ubuntu)

IMHO it would be much better to install either OS X 10.3 or 10.4, or Ubuntu PPC Linux, than tinker on the net with OS 9.

Ubuntu does not officially support PPC anymore but there is still an "unofficial" version, as well as other Linux distributions that do still support PPC, such as Debian, Fedora, Yellow Dog Linux.

This is probably the best Ubuntu version for a G3:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/hardy/release/ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-powerpc.iso

ETA: After that, you can use Safari or Firefox :). (or Konqueror, Opera, Lynx etc etc)

costanza187
10-02-2008, 05:49
Opera ....version 6 I believe it is, seems to be usable. With some google'ing and stuff, you can probably find an archived copy somewhere.

Netscape is pretty good for 9.2 as well, perhaps even better than Opera.

By the way.... I second the opinion of Linux on an old G3.

Actually get XUBUNTU, it will make an old G3 run really zippy.

I got xubuntu 6.06 on my old iBook, I dual boot OS X 10.2 or Xubuntu. Usually I go to xubuntu because it is remarkably faster.

The ONLY real problems with Xubuntu I have found is that I cannot do flash player (for youtube). There are old versions of flash player for older ubuntu's but they aren't compatible with the "powerpc" (any that I have found anyways). I have not yet taken the time to figure out how to use mp3 either, but I think that is actually do-able.

For general web surfing, and forum stuff such as this, xubuntu can turn a piece of garbage computer into a machine that is actually decent.

SIGSAREBETTER
10-02-2008, 09:34
Ditto what LinuxKnight said....I went from OS9 on an iMac to Debian Linux....it's really the only way to go if you're not going OSX and frankly I think Linux is the better way to go.