Dell introduces the Mini 9 netbooks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dell introduces the Mini 9 netbooks

The Pontificator
09-05-2008, 03:02
All versions have solid state drives. Base model runs on Ubuntu. The "better" and "best" models have XP.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?cs=19&s=dhs&ref=homepg

Wulfenite
09-05-2008, 17:53
What the heck can you do with a 16 gig HDD? I've got more capacity than that in jump drives. Can you even load XP and Office with that amount of space and still have room for some emails, and some vacation pictures?

GixxerSixxer
09-05-2008, 20:45
What the heck can you do with a 16 gig HDD? I've got more capacity than that in jump drives. Can you even load XP and Office with that amount of space and still have room for some emails, and some vacation pictures?

You only need 4 gigs to run XP reliably and that's with SP3 update too.

On my Asus EEE 900 I have Office 2007 loaded onto my D: drive that 8 gigs. I've mounted my removable SD card as the F: drive so I can install and run programs from it.

My C: drive is dedicated to Windows and all other programs get installed to D: or F:.

The ultra mobile PCs aren't marketed as desktop replacements. They aren't intended to store pics, edit movies, and do complicated stuff. They are to be used for note taking, web surfing, document editing, and presentation assembling while on the road or at school. It's assumed that many people using the ultra mobile PCs will be leveraging jump drives to store many of their files.

If love my EEE. I used to use a Dell 600m in class that has a 14" screen. It was a PITA to carry around to classes and while on vacation. The EEE travels very easily and weighs only 2 pounds.

The SD drive makes the computer much more reliable after it gets thrown in a backpack. My brother in law is using my EEE 900 in Afghanistan and he's broken two portable HD's but the EEE SSD is working fine after all its been though.

With the SD card boot time is reduced as well. My EEE boots up in under a minute.

mikegun
09-06-2008, 16:07
i love my tosh...but lets face it its big to lug around, this sounds great, and dell does ok? any reviews

The Pontificator
09-06-2008, 17:06
i love my tosh...but lets face it its big to lug around, this sounds great, and dell does ok? any reviews

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4578

Dandapani
09-06-2008, 18:02
Just built a maxed out Linux version and it was $522, thanks a lot, Pont! :rofl:

The Pontificator
09-06-2008, 18:38
Just built a maxed out Linux version and it was $522, thanks a lot, Pont! :rofl::wavey:

when is it going to ship?

glockophilic
09-06-2008, 23:18
This is a perfect place for linux. Get the cheapest version for $350. Replace the 4gb ssd drive with a 32gb for $150, add a 2gb DDR notebook ram chip for $25... you are up to $525 with better specs then the best dell offering.

see link for the solid state 32gb drives coming out this month.
http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/eee-pcs-getting-32gb-and-64bg-ssds.html

Or if you want XP and a bigger hard drive (not ss), more ram and about 1.6ghz processor there is the Acer aspire 1, and the MSI wind, HP has one too I think and asus is the company that started the trend...

d3athp3nguin
09-07-2008, 09:09
Hmm... Dell's got my favor for the price, but Asus' eeePCs have built some good street cred thus far. I have an eee 701 and it works great, but wish I had waited for the bigger-screen models to come out. The battery on that thing would be my main sticking point, as I am debating between getting an eee901/1000, or just buying a beefed-up battery for my 701.

I'll play the "wait and see" game with the dell mini, as I have NOT had good experiences with dell laptops in the past. The review was encouraging though, as the engineers behind the model seemed to improve on the shortcomings of some of their competitors.

Edit: did the "build you own" option and getting it to comparable specs with the competition (8G SSD, 1Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam) it was about $450. Good price point, though the difference is made up by battery life. Eee 901/1000H is $550, but has 5-6 hours battery life depending on how stingy you are with power. If you don't need to go cord-free for that long, it sounds like a good deal. I do like the use of Ubuntu as the OS of choice; Asus uses a relatively obscure distro called Xandros.

TacoPower
09-07-2008, 19:34
Love my Aspire One.. I see that Pont is over on the forums for them too..

I have run XP, Ubuntu and Vista on it but I am switching back to the OEM distro.

glockophilic
09-07-2008, 20:20
I have had really good luck with two brands of laptop, Sony and acer. Had bad luck with dell, toshiba. HP has been reliable also.