Are you proud or obligated? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are you proud or obligated?

Big Red
09-06-2008, 20:29
It took me 33 years to see myself as good a man, as my Dad. He could have gotten me in... in his name. I felt I had to be the one to get there myself! I looked and tried, on all accounts; I found fraud, and deception. This is my second year coming as a Mason (3/31/07), and I am proud!

Proud that I got myself in, proud that I knew how to tell the difference between Mason and "paper mason", proud that I could find the difference between man and Mason. Proud for the fact, I did find a Mason! The real thing isn't that hard to find, if you look.

I came to the order as I felt I should. I love my Dad and everything he has taught me. His knowledge made me a Mason before I knew I was one! I have pride like few could ever understand. I was born to be what I am now.

I can talk to anybody, friend or foe. By foe I mean "one who does not like me because they were taught not to", I make friends. My dad is the same, he taught me that "a man is still just a man". I had the upper hand though, I had Dad.

How many can say that they are proud or obligated?

09-07-2008, 06:43
I have been a Mason for 6 years now.

I will be Worshipful Master in December and I could not be more proud.

I have worked very hard to come as far as I have in such a short time in Masonry.

I'm sure that there is no greater joy of pride that a Mason could feel than to see his son being Raised. I have a few years before my boy (hopefully) will follow in my footsteps.

I'm sure that you father is very proud of you. You don't have to be a Mason to be a good man. Freemasonry just makes good men better!

You make us all proud.

Good luck on your journey!!!

Big Red
09-21-2008, 05:14
My Dad passed on 9/19/08. I still hold to my question, I know my answer.

A 63 year man, true Blue. He asked me if I was "Proud or Obligated", I put it out for others... I will always be proud.

filthy infidel
09-21-2008, 06:38
I first met Dave Cash, the Grand Master of North Carolina, at James B Greene lodge last fall. The WM of my lodge and I were there to hear him speak.
He mentioned a story about his brother in law (I think it was his b i l)who was a real jerk. Just a plain horse's ass, rude to everyone.
One day Dave says he noticed a real change in his b i l. He asked the brother in law what the difference was, the answer? His brother in law had become a Mason.
I have met a few Masons since being raised, and they are all fine people. I'd not hesitate to shelter them under my roof at a moment's notice.
When is a Mason a Mason? When he lives as one.

cowboywannabe
09-21-2008, 06:46
i though a few times about becoming a mason, or at least attending a meeting to see if it was something i could get in to....several other cops i know are masons.

but frankly i dont have the time to devote to it with trying to work o/t to pay bills and raise a family....i couldnt see myself doing a half assed job because of no time to contribute.

take care guys, maybe one day i'll be in better financial straits and will have the time to look in to this honestly.

filthy infidel
09-21-2008, 08:39
Cowboy it's not a real financial burden. Dues are typically less than $100.00 per year. All that you'll pay for afterwards is donations for meals before lodge business and offerings for whatever charity your lodge supports.

Your Obligation does require time, and the best Masons are active Masons, if I may be so bold as to say. Learning the chatechisms takes time. Your family will hopefully understand.

Taking steps towards becoming a Mason can be difficult. You might not know where you are truly heading, and must make sacrifices in order to do so. But you can be confident that if your faith and heart are in the right place, you will be a better man, husband, father, and person as a Mason.