Man with gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Man with gun

09-06-2008, 21:36
So I was sitting outside talking on the phone yesterday and this kid (maybe 22) walks by in cammies, a back pack, and a drop leg holster with what really looks like a pistol in it. I watched him for about 3/4 of a mile and then I called the cops. I *really* hate to be the guy who calls in the man with gun, but WTH was I supposed to do? I haven't heard anything since, but I hope I didn't drop the dime on the wrong guy.
South Carolina doesn't allow OC, But I still feel pretty guilty being the "sheep" who calls in the man with gun. Did I over react?
C

Magicmanmb
09-07-2008, 13:05
If your not in a hunting or paintball area. Call the cops let them decide what's going on with him. He could have been some kid off his meds that just killed his family. That has happened here at least twice in the last 2 years. I open carry on my own property, otherwise you never see anything I have on my person. Theres a reason it's called concealed carry.

The Pontificator
10-04-2008, 20:09
So I was sitting outside talking on the phone yesterday and this kid (maybe 22) walks by in cammies, a back pack, and a drop leg holster with what really looks like a pistol in it. I watched him for about 3/4 of a mile and then I called the cops. I *really* hate to be the guy who calls in the man with gun, but WTH was I supposed to do? I haven't heard anything since, but I hope I didn't drop the dime on the wrong guy.
South Carolina doesn't allow OC, But I still feel pretty guilty being the "sheep" who calls in the man with gun. Did I over react?
C

under the circumstances you described, no.

OC is allowed in South Carolina only under VERY, VERY limited circumstances:

carolinajohn63
10-23-2008, 10:23
Was the guy being threatening in any manner? Why would you call the cops? If we are promoting the right to keep and bear arms, the right to concealed carry and the right to open carry, if we so choose, then calling the cops on somone that is not threatening anyone is counter productive.

Calling the cops on this guy just gives the anti-gun folks fuel. They say, "look even the gun people don't think open carry is right."

Lady Glock
10-23-2008, 10:55
If OC is not legal in your area, I don't think you did anything wrong.

Magicmanmb
10-23-2008, 12:43
Was the guy being threatening in any manner? Why would you call the cops? If we are promoting the right to keep and bear arms, the right to concealed carry and the right to open carry, if we so choose, then calling the cops on somone that is not threatening anyone is counter productive.

Calling the cops on this guy just gives the anti-gun folks fuel. They say, "look even the gun people don't think open carry is right."

Calling LE and letting them decide if he's dangerous or not. SC is very strict on open carry. It took 10+ years of work to allow concealed carry. We don't need it all undone by a mall ninja who forgot to read the law or build pipe bombs so he can die and blow up God. It's not the posters job to decide if the person was legally carrying a pistol or a BB gun. That's what LEO's are for.

We used to have a kid locally that would walk down the street with a samurai sword tucked in his belt. Would you call the police? Because the potential for danger is the same. This 20 y/o would not take his schizo meds but thought he was a ninja in his world. They'd pick him up 72 hour hold back on the street with his sword again. He and his family finally moved to North Carolina
hopefully the psych care is better there.

In Any event this is when you can open carry:
http://opencarry.org/sc.html

Glockrunner
10-26-2008, 12:07
Open carry is allowed for hunting, "...to and from..." or words to that effect. It is Deer season but if you feel the need, I guess a call is in order.

He could have been going to a buddies house in preparation to catch a ride yada, yada, yada....