Las Vegas Convention Center [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas Convention Center

osiruscyn
09-09-2008, 11:29
anyone know is the entrances have metal detectors?

digitspaw
09-09-2008, 14:00
anyone know is the entrances have metal detectors?

I've attended 6 or 7 trade shows at the convention center on Paradise Rd in the past year and a half and I've always been armed. No signs or detectors. I've not been in the convention center on Sands or the one down by the Riviera.

first time I went to the Hilton center on Paradise, I parked at the Sahara and rode the monorail leaving my gun in my car. As soon as I checked into the trade show, I got back on the monorail and went back to get my heater.

osiruscyn
09-09-2008, 14:07
I've attended 6 or 7 trade shows at the convention center on Paradise Rd in the past year and a half and I've always been armed. No signs or detectors. I've not been in the convention center on Sands or the one down by the Riviera.

first time I went to the Hilton center on Paradise, I parked at the Sahara and rode the monorail leaving my gun in my car. As soon as I checked into the trade show, I got back on the monorail and went back to get my heater.

good to hear. That's the one i'm going to, the one on Paradise.

digitspaw
09-09-2008, 14:11
good to hear. That's the one i'm going to, the one on Paradise.

Pack two heaters. It's a big place.:supergrin:

digitspaw
09-09-2008, 14:12
Oh, one more thing.

I did go to the SHOT show there and at that event, firearms were prohibited but I don't remember going through any metal detectors.

osiruscyn
09-09-2008, 14:39
Oh, one more thing.

I did go to the SHOT show there and at that event, firearms were prohibited but I don't remember going through any metal detectors.

i looked through their website and they state that CCW is prohibited per NRS 202.3673 since they are partially a public entity.

In any case, concealed means concealed and with more than 20,000 people there, i doubt i'm going to stand out.

digitspaw
09-09-2008, 15:03
i looked through their website and they state that CCW is prohibited per NRS 202.3673 since they are partially a public entity.

In any case, concealed means concealed and with more than 20,000 people there, i doubt i'm going to stand out.

They don't have it posted at EVERY public entrance. The signs need to be there and/or the metal detectors. In fact, I don't remember seeing signage at any of the entrances I used.

osiruscyn
09-09-2008, 15:20
They don't have it posted at EVERY public entrance. The signs need to be there and/or the metal detectors. In fact, I don't remember seeing signage at any of the entrances I used.

I don't think they are basing it off that so much as they are basing it off of them being a partial public entity since they are partially funded by the city and the county.

digitspaw
09-09-2008, 15:41
I don't think they are basing it off that so much as they are basing it off of them being a partial public entity since they are partially funded by the city and the county.

Yeah, but any state/public facility (Cashman comes to mind as public) still has signage at their entrances. You can always do what I did and leave it in your car to start OR take it back to your car (what I would do).

jpa
09-09-2008, 22:28
LVCVA is a public entity that owns the convention center and cashman center. While it's technically supposed to be POSTED at every entrance and concealed is concealed, it's technically illegal and you can argue about the lack of signage all you want at your court date. Not saying I'd get all butt-hurt over someone with a gun, but if you're found out you could be in doo-doo.

muscles
09-09-2008, 22:29
been to a few conventions there...no metal detectors to speak of. always had a pistol in my pocket.

1337-G
09-14-2008, 23:28

Check again Kurt, while there used to be some entrances missing the signage (the doors leading to the overpass from the lot across Paradise for example) they now all do. Even the ones at the back of the arenas used for show exhibitors to move stuff in and out.

The signage consists of white lettered decals on a clear background adhered to the middle of all the glass entry doors. The lettering is quite clear and in compliance with NRS. The LVCVA is a government entity and as such the convention center is a government facility for the purposes of NRS 202.3673. Note as well that the referenced NRS states that either a sign OR a metal detector is sufficient to bar entry to permit holders. The absence of the detector doesn't invalidate the rest of the statute if all the other conditions are met.

To the OP, no there are no metal detectors.

osiruscyn
09-15-2008, 01:05
i went this past week there and didn't notice any signs on the doors of the south halls. Of course i didn't look real hard but didn't notice anything overtly obvious.

1337-G
09-15-2008, 14:36
Yeah, they're not overtly obvious at all. Since they're a clear sticker on window glass, you have to really be looking.

magic
12-13-2008, 19:29
Well, I don't know what the stickers looked like before, but they are not easy to miss now! Just went to cowboy christmas today and had to make a point to note the signage. I was there with friends and family, and I am willing to bet none of them noticed it. So to the layperson they are probably easy to miss. But we're talking about folks that didn't even realize I was taking the photo as I held the door open for them. To anyone reading this, you won't miss the stickers, they are on every single door I could see. The only odd thing I noticed is that the NRS code printed on the sign doesn't appear to exist. (see photo) The code on the sign 202.673 seems to be referring to
NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.

Hmmmmm..... So, officer, please show me where NRS 202.673 states I am breaking any law, or I will be on my way! LOL

Or, is this some sort of acceptable abbreviation?

magic

EDIT: BTW, this was the north hall doors. I didn't go to south hall.

osiruscyn
12-14-2008, 01:02
yeah i would have noticed those for sure when i went last but i didn't see them. Of course i only visited the south hall

FL2011
12-14-2008, 01:15
Was out there a couple months ago for a convention, most of it was at Sands I believe (one attached to the Venetian) and I didn't see any signs.

Maxx702
12-14-2008, 05:12
I don't make a big deal out of the sign at the convention center since it is spelled out in NRS anyway.
Just fly under the radar and it won't matter.