putting parts into a barebones kit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : putting parts into a barebones kit

jolt8me
09-11-2008, 09:17
What is your opinion on doing this.
Right now I have a dell dimension 8200 p4 1.7 ghz with 1 gig ram. I was thinking of throwing a dvd burner into it but then came across this and it gave me an idea. http://3btech.net/ce515ce21gbd.html
I could just throw in my parts from my dell into this. I just bought a new video card that would be operating at 8x agp speed instead of 4x in my dell. I could put in my cd burner. Get the 1 gig ram upgrade and 3.06 celeron upgrade for $7. And use my 60gb hard drive from my dell.
Would this be a good idea or should i just get a dvd burner for my dell and wait a year before buying a new computer all together. Both would be around the same price to do.
Plus how hard would it be to put in a hard drive with everything on it and expect it to work without having to call microsoft up for a new code (cant do it because I lost my cd key a couple of years ago), or should i expect to lose everything on my hard drive if i put it into this system?

IndyGunFreak
09-11-2008, 10:34
What is your opinion on doing this.
Right now I have a dell dimension 8200 p4 1.7 ghz with 1 gig ram. I was thinking of throwing a dvd burner into it but then came across this and it gave me an idea. http://3btech.net/ce515ce21gbd.html
I could just throw in my parts from my dell into this. I just bought a new video card that would be operating at 8x agp speed instead of 4x in my dell. I could put in my cd burner. Get the 1 gig ram upgrade and 3.06 celeron upgrade for $7. And use my 60gb hard drive from my dell.
Would this be a good idea or should i just get a dvd burner for my dell and wait a year before buying a new computer all together. Both would be around the same price to do.
Plus how hard would it be to put in a hard drive with everything on it and expect it to work without having to call microsoft up for a new code (cant do it because I lost my cd key a couple of years ago), or should i expect to lose everything on my hard drive if i put it into this system?

I've done this for people on occasion, main thing I look for when doing it, is the motherboard. If its not a brand I trust, I wouldn't even consider it. You pass that test in my opinion w/ MSI.

Nearly every barebone I've ever seen, the power supply sucks. I'd prepare to replace it(or it looks like they have the option to upgrade it to a Thermaltake for $32).

Only other thing that would be a concern, is expansion, it has 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. AGP is nearing extinction, so if you're a gamer or something, and you want to go this route, I'd find a kit w/ a PCI-e slot. Difficulty? About as hard as turning a screwdriver. Use caution though, sometimes those barebones don't come assembled. They just send you the stuff to do it. Building a computer is very simple, not really a whole lot to it. Just a bit of patience, and reading the manuals.

Just re-read your post and realized you were asking if you'd have to call Microsoft, etc, I'd say thats almost a given, if you had to reinstall for some reason, I doubt you would get a new install going off your old desktop

IGF

srhoades
09-11-2008, 11:06
BTW, Celeron's are the walmarts of processors. They have next to no chip cache. Even somewhat lesser P4's will perform better.

jolt8me
09-11-2008, 11:21
BTW, Celeron's are the walmarts of processors. They have next to no chip cache. Even somewhat lesser P4's will perform better.
but right now im running a p4 1.7 ghz with 400mhz fsb. So your saying mine is comparable to the listed celeron?

d3athp3nguin
09-13-2008, 17:24
The 2.8Ghz celeron would likely perform faster than your P4 on a task-by-task basis; its just that Celerons are not good at heavy multitasking. If all you're doing with the machine is playing some music or a youtube video while surfing the web, maybe burning a disk hear and there... your old and new processors should handle that fine.

I see nothing wrong with going for some cheap upgrades, but the hardware kit you will be upgrading too is from an older generation of hardware altogether, so that kit would be the "end of the line" for that PC. You'd get a performance boost, no doubt- but you will need a new XP install, and you would have to format your dell hard drive (ie wipe it) to put the new XP on. Unless the barebones kit comes with its own hard drive. To me, this would be an upgrade kit to get if you wanted to hold off getting a new machine for a year or two more- almost like a cheap way to repair your dell. Thats just my opinon tho.

You might be better off saving some more cash and upgrading to a cheap multi-core PC next year, as they are steadily dropping into budget price territory. The newer desktop PCs (even the cheap ones) have graphics chips built into the motherboard that are faster than most agp cards. Getting a new PC would also give you more room for upgrades in the future. The performance boost you get from a dual-core processor over a single core (even a fast one) is amazing; they are great at juggling tasks. Don't be fooled by their lower clock speeds- a 1.8Ghz dual-core would run laps around a 3.0Ghz Celeron.

nickg
09-24-2008, 08:56
i put my own system together from the bottom up a little more than a year ago. the only thing i kept from my old HP was the hard drive, everything else was all new components. at least i know what my machine consists of and can fix anything that goes wrong if need be. didn't take that much time at all to put it all together once i figured everything out and any problems were miniscule and figured out pretty quick.

i'll probably never buy an "off the shelf" system again!!

Big Al 24
09-28-2008, 11:44
i put my own system together from the bottom up a little more than a year ago. the only thing i kept from my old HP was the hard drive, everything else was all new components. at least i know what my machine consists of and can fix anything that goes wrong if need be. didn't take that much time at all to put it all together once i figured everything out and any problems were miniscule and figured out pretty quick.

i'll probably never buy an "off the shelf" system again!!

Yeah, building your own is easier than you think, and you get a lot more for your money.