Help,Windows XP antivirus 2008 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help,Windows XP antivirus 2008

donbubbo
09-11-2008, 18:29
Seems that Windows XP Antivirus 2008 downloaded on my daughters computer and has really messed things up. I can't restore to a set-point earlier than sept.10 and the program appears to have been created on the 4th. I am unable to uninstall the program. The program doesn't come up in my add/remove programs list and the program uninstaller just lists my systems credentials.
Anyone have any ideas?

srhoades
09-11-2008, 18:37
Download combofix and run that. Download smitfraudfix and run that in safe mode. Choose option 2 for clean and then say yes when it asks if you want to clean the registry.

donbubbo
09-11-2008, 18:39
Thanks. I'll try that. I hope I can connect to the internet. I was getting a message before that the program wasn't responding.

srhoades
09-11-2008, 19:23
Then download it from a working computer and burn them to a cd or transfer them on a flash drive.

Toyman
09-12-2008, 03:26
Here's an article on how to remove it:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-xp-2008

Rexzilla
09-13-2008, 16:35
Spyware Doctor by PC Tools also works to remove this. I had this get on a company machine by emulating Microsoft downloads. The user thinks he is getting an urgent download from Microsoft. This is a form of abusive adware and it is a nasty one.

wbgolden
09-18-2008, 22:41
It's the worst one I've seen in a long time!

Have you all successfully fixed this with the above steps yourselves? I gave up and reformatted (thank you, backups). My computer absolute guru friend (I'm no slouch myself) has only been able to completely get rid of it 4 or 5 times. Hit or miss, it seems.

This virus is persistent and hard to get rid of. Whoever wrote it needs a whoopin'

SKeefe
09-19-2008, 05:46
It's the worst one I've seen in a long time!

Have you all successfully fixed this with the above steps yourselves? I gave up and reformatted (thank you, backups). My computer absolute guru friend (I'm no slouch myself) has only been able to completely get rid of it 4 or 5 times. Hit or miss, it seems.

This virus is persistent and hard to get rid of. Whoever wrote it needs a whoopin'
I removed it manually a while back, but it was a major pain.

I have since encountered it again, but this time I found out about an anti-spyware program called Malware Bytes, and it removed it successfully.

jolt8me
09-19-2008, 22:58
+1. Had the same problem, see "IEXPLORE.EXE virus" post. This happened to me yesterday. Tried a bunch of programs and manually. Was able to get rid of the pop up and the background and screen saver. Was not able to get rid of the browser hijacker. Malwarebytes was the only one that was finally able to get rid of it all.

I removed it manually a while back, but it was a major pain.

I have since encountered it again, but this time I found out about an anti-spyware program called Malware Bytes, and it removed it successfully.

citori59
09-20-2008, 06:11
i had exactly the same thing happen last week. go here and all will be solved, I promise. www.stopzilla.com

donbubbo
09-20-2008, 06:14
Used the MalwareBytes last weekend and it's been AOK so far. Thanks for all the suggestions.:wavey:

humanguerrilla
09-25-2008, 12:42
There are several versions of this, ranging from just the desktop nag screen, disabling of printers and windows image viewer to nastier hijacking of windows processes through bundled trojans and malware. Even if you think you've removed it I'd check the system32 folder and keep an eye on what's running what on the machine (in process explorer/xp pro's command line tasklist/svc)

http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/xp-antivirus-2008-removal-instructions-xp-antivirus-2008

xephael
09-25-2008, 18:37
Seems that Windows XP Antivirus 2008 downloaded on my daughters computer and has really messed things up. I can't restore to a set-point earlier than sept.10 and the program appears to have been created on the 4th. I am unable to uninstall the program. The program doesn't come up in my add/remove programs list and the program uninstaller just lists my systems credentials.
Anyone have any ideas?

Backup the data on your daughters computer and restore from the factory backup disks if it's a Dell/HP/IBM/etc... or install Windows XP from scratch.

Once your computer is infected it's the only real way to insure the offending applications are removed and the system software is undamaged.

No software or product will fix the damage by itself.