Windows Protection Error [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows Protection Error

Blast
09-13-2008, 02:38
The other day I accidently jarred my home computer tower with my foot and blue screen came up. I rebooted, but Windows would not start. I have Windows 98 SE in a 300mhz Celeron, 6 gig fossil of a computer. The Win98 start screen just sits there for a minute then screen goes into DOS with words Retry, Abort, Ignore, Fail. Abort and Fail just turns off computer. Retry and Ignore after some seconds brings up "Windows Protection Error - You must restart your computer."
I restart and get the options list and start in Safe Mode, which does normally.
I run scandisk with no problems and then about 3/4 through, it stops and says "Scandisk cannot continue because the disk being scanned has been removed." WTF?
Can it be restored? Or is disk damaged because it was jarred?
On a scale of 1 to 10 on computer knowledge, I'm about a 2.
:help:

crimsonaudio
09-13-2008, 03:11
I'd open the case and make sure all the connectors and cards are seated properly - you might have bumped something loose. I think the chances the HDD is damaged are fairly slim...

Blast
09-13-2008, 03:26
I'd open the case and make sure all the connectors and cards are seated properly - you might have bumped something loose. I think the chances the HDD is damaged are fairly slim...

I did check connections to HD and mother board. I ran defragmenter too and it stopped about 3/4 through saying it couldn't continue and to run scandisk. Which I did a second time and it stopped the same as the first time, at 77% complete. It's like that part of the drive is not being read.
I'll check all the connections again, but I can't imagine how a loose connection could prevent access to a certain part of the drive. But then again, I'm pretty much a computer dumbass.:supergrin:
I appreciate your input.

srhoades
09-13-2008, 10:47
Windows 98??? Dude, give that thing a proper burial and move on.

Aside from that, if the drive is "disappearing" then it sounds like the controller on the motherboard is going bad.

Blast
09-13-2008, 22:33
Yeah, I know... Win98 is stoneknives and bearskins.:supergrin: I just want to recoup some data I foolishly didn't backup.
I recently aquired a free computer from work through a raffle. My work upgrades every so many years and raffle off computers to staff. It's a Win2000 Pro, 700 MHZ Pentium 3. A bit better.
Anyway, I mananged to induce the startup ScanDisk, which found some bad clusters. So there apparently is damage to the disk. The ScanDisk launched from accessories doesn't do it. I fixed some, but after it scans through several hundred clusters, it freezes and I have to turn off and restart. It will breeze through what was previously scanned, even the fixed bad clusters. Then after scanning several hundred more clusters, and fixing any bad sets, it freezes again and I repeat the process.
I'm making progress, but I'm unsure if it will totally restore when it's all said and done.
Even if it is retored, it's destined for the grave.

srhoades
09-13-2008, 23:40
The drive is starting to fail. Bad sectors don't get fixed, they just increase in numbers as the drive starts to deteriorate.

Blast
09-14-2008, 01:34
The drive is starting to fail. Bad sectors don't get fixed, they just increase in numbers as the drive starts to deteriorate.

Yeah, you're undoubtedly right. The "fixing" is merely moving data from a bad sector to a good one. There may be some data that is completely lost too.
It's a 9 year old computer. I'll try to get what I can from it before I use it for target pratice.
Oh well, excrement happens.

crimsonaudio
09-14-2008, 06:11
If you want to recover the data, I'd pull the drive out and mount it as a slave in your other computer and retrieve from there...

Blast
09-15-2008, 03:00
If you want to recover the data, I'd pull the drive out and mount it as a slave in your other computer and retrieve from there...
A drive with Win98 can be slaved to a drive with Win2000?

dotsun
09-15-2008, 04:57
yeppers

crimsonaudio
09-15-2008, 07:20
A drive with Win98 can be slaved to a drive with Win2000?
Affirmative.