Homemade pasta [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Homemade pasta

MrsKitty
09-13-2008, 11:41
OK, what am I doing wrong?

I picked up an electric pasta machine supercheap. So I tried making pasta the other night...

At first the dough was too wet so I added more flour. It was still too wet so I added more. Finally, I got noodles about like the fresh pasta I have bought before. By the time I had enough noodles done to cook, I had a glop of noodles where they had stuck together and I couldn't separate them.

I used flour, an egg, olive oil in the amounts the recipe called for. The added more flour.

Also, it was a really humid day. Been raining for a couple days. Will the humidity do this?

Is it just too wet? Am I doing this wrong?

tampashooters
09-13-2008, 12:26
They should be somewhat moist, and don't cook alot of fresh noodles together, they need room to roll with the boil.

MrsKitty
09-13-2008, 20:23
I wasn't clear. Oops. Sorry.

The stuck together before I got to the cooking stage. It was while I was waiting for enough to get pressed they stuck. Some of them stuck as they came out of the machine. That's what made me wonder if I had them too wet? I don't know what too dry is...

stooxie
09-28-2008, 11:45
We used to have (operative clause there) an electric pasta maker that, I believe, would also match the description of super cheap.

The dough has to be amazingly dry before extruding. I would always think to myself, there is NO way that stuff is going to come out. But it did. Well, until it wouldn't any more. The lousy little motor just couldn't push it out after a while and in the round file it went.

Sounds like your dough might have been too soft, thus it just melded together.

I've made pasta by hand since and, frankly, it's much easier and much more fun. The traditional Italian "well" method works great. Once you have a beautiful ball of rested dough you roll it through some good pasta rollers and you can do anything you want with it.

-Stooxie

MrsKitty
09-28-2008, 16:41
I don't have rollers. That's out. I found this machine brand new in the box for $20 at a second-hand shop. Not much to lose if this doesn't work out is what I was thinking. I had been looking at the hand operated ones before and this just seemed like a great way to try it supercheap.

OK. I gather that it is supposed to be really dry then. I'll try again soon. It was also pouring down rain, and had been for two days, when I tried. Could it have sucked extra water out of the air? I've had bread do odd things during weather like that.

I would love to get the hang of this and be able to do my own ravioli!

AnalogKid
10-03-2008, 22:52
I believe you are supposed to hang dry the pasta before using. At least that's what it says in my Wolfgang Puck cookbook. Then again, I haven't tried the recipe yet.

MrsKitty
10-04-2008, 19:35
Hmm. Mine didn't say to and somebody else I know doesn't dry his either. He lets it "rest" while doing the rest of it. I wonder if I let it rest and tossed a little flour on it if it would stop the sticking?

AnalogKid
10-13-2008, 21:41
They actually sell "pasta drying racks" in cookware stores. Don't think you need to bother buying one though as they are rather inpractical. The dusting of flour should help.