Ubuntu OMG! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu OMG!

costanza187
09-13-2008, 13:11
So... I get this wild idea to try out Ubuntu.

I set up my old iBook as a dual boot OS X and Ubuntu. I partitioned the HD like I read to do, everything went very smoothly. I am not even that technoligically smart and it was easy for me. Finding the airport card was no problem at all, it found it in the install and was immediately on the wireless network.

I got this thing up and running Ubuntu and it is actually FASTER than anything else I have ever used. It is faster than brand new Dells running Windows, and this is a very old notebook. I am sure it has a weakness somewhere, but for websurfing and stuff, this Ubuntu ROCKS MY SOCKS!

IndyGunFreak
09-13-2008, 16:17
Just curious, is it an Intel iBook? I assume it is, unless you're running an older version of Ubuntu, or you found the Mac version of 8.04(which isn't really supported by Canonical anymore)...

Its all about the hardware on whether Linux works or not. Most of the time, if its not extremely new, stuff will work pretty well...

d3athp3nguin
09-13-2008, 16:40
Glad to hear it works well for you!

It's only a matter of time before you get the urge to start tinkering with (and breaking) Ubuntu in an attempt to unlock the cool stuff. Your first mission: make the OS look sexier by installing and configuring compiz. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5qMhSBN3w) Do not be afraid of the command line... it is your friend, it will not bite...

And yes, now that you have a standard for comparison... Windows (and arguably MacOS) are pretty bloated. I think Apple's OS runs more smoothly than Windows in part because Apple has tighter control over what hardware the OS runs on, so they can make sure that the hardware compliments the software.

IndyGunFreak
09-13-2008, 19:25
. Windows (and arguably MacOS) are pretty bloated.

Truth be told, if you have experience w/ other Linux distros, Ubuntu has become quite bloated the last year or so... but still is fast compared to Windows(I'm not really used to Macs, so I dont know)...

IGF

costanza187
09-13-2008, 21:01
It is an OLD iBook G3 Processor, I got it off eBay,used. Somebody has done some work on it. I am thinking the processor speed is the 466 maybe (really not sure) it has 500-something in the RAM, and a 60 gb HD. It runs OS X at an acceptable level, not really fast but fast enough to be acceptable for my purposes.

This thing runs like a spotted-butt ape with Ubuntu 6.06. Pretty much GT, Ebay, Amazon, Google etc... is what I do online. Only thing I have found that I can't do is mp3 and youtube....of course I can always boot into OS X for that so I am quite happy with my setup.

IndyGunFreak
09-13-2008, 22:01
It is an OLD iBook G3 Processor, I got it off eBay,used. Somebody has done some work on it. I am thinking the processor speed is the 466 maybe (really not sure) it has 500-something in the RAM, and a 60 gb HD. It runs OS X at an acceptable level, not really fast but fast enough to be acceptable for my purposes.

This thing runs like a spotted-butt ape with Ubuntu 6.06. Pretty much GT, Ebay, Amazon, Google etc... is what I do online. Only thing I have found that I can't do is mp3 and youtube....of course I can always boot into OS X for that so I am quite happy with my setup.

mp3 and Youtube should be pretty easy to setup.. Biggest problem is, 6.06(released June of 2006) is nearing the end of its supported life, which means its gonna probably be difficult to maintain in about June, when its support ends. Ubuntu no longer writes distros to run on Mac hardware, so if it was something you wanted to continue to pursue, you'd have to find another distro, or use one of the unofficial Mac ports of Ubuntu.

Debian(what Ubuntu is based on), still releases for the Mac hardware, if it ends up being something you need to look in to..

Glad you're enjoying the new PC.

Edit: Well, I guess I coulda told you how to add Flash/mp3 support.
go here... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
Follow the instructions to add the Medibuntu repository for Dapper(note, make sure you add the GPG key also)...
After that, " sudo apt-get install w32codecs " no quotes.
That will enable mp3 support, and also support for some other media formats(AVI, mp4, wmv, wav, etc..)
If the laptop also happens to have a DVD player, you'll want to run " sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 " also to enable
playing DVDs.

Flash... Go to http://www.adobe.com and click Get Adobe flash Player
Next Link, in the drop down bar, download the .tar.gz file for Linux
Once the tar file is downloaded, double click it, and extract it.
Open a terminal(application/accessories/terminal) assuming you're using Gnome
type " cd ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux " no quotes
After hitting Enter, you should see your prompt change.
type " ./flashplayer-installer " no quotes, (don't forget the . in front of the /)
Hit enter and follow the on screen instructions.

Any probs.. lemme know.

IGF

DonL
09-13-2008, 22:30
Try Knoppix Live cd....You don't have to install anything....Just load and run of the disk. I've always had less issues with Knoppix than with other distros.

da chef
09-13-2008, 22:39
Knoppix tends to run slow(er) as the disk will take time to spin up when accessing different areas of the OS.

IndyGunFreak
09-13-2008, 22:52
On another note, I don't think Knoppix has a Mac CD.

IGF

dotsun
09-14-2008, 05:58
I started playing with linux a couple of months ago and now have 2 machines with opensuse on them. They've really come a long way with linux distros.

IndyGunFreak
09-14-2008, 06:54
I started playing with linux a couple of months ago and now have 2 machines with opensuse on them. They've really come a long way with linux distros.

I'm not a huge fan of Suse, but my understanding is that OpenSuse is solid.

IGF

d3athp3nguin
09-14-2008, 07:15
Truth be told, if you have experience w/ other Linux distros, Ubuntu has become quite bloated the last year or so... but still is fast compared to Windows (I'm not really used to Macs, so I dont know)...

IGF

This is true- It was for that reason I switched to Debian testing after a year with Ubuntu. Once I didn't need all of the auto-configuring and hand-holding, it started to feel like it had a larger "footprint" with lots of extra features I didn't need. I almost had a heart attack when I suddenly got nagging taskbar notifications after a distro upgrade. Good for new users, but unneccesary once you get familiar with the system.

My eee has a stripped down version of Ubuntu with XFCE as the desktop environment, and it's pretty snappy.

My limited experience with macs is that their software tends to be more stable, but it is bloated to some degree (on account of all the user-friendliness I suppose). This is mitigated by the fact that Apple has more control over what hardware platform you run the OS on. Their software is optimized for their hardware, so performance is usually good out of the box. Time will slow down a a mac OS, much like a Windows machine- it just might take a bit longer.

AR-Jim
09-14-2008, 08:46
If you're a Debian fan, give sidux (http://www.sidux.com)a look.

Incredibly fast and clean, and smxi (http://manual.sidux.com/en/smxi-en.htm) is awesome. :)

IndyGunFreak
09-14-2008, 10:40
If you're a Debian fan, give sidux (http://www.sidux.com)a look.

Incredibly fast and clean, and smxi (http://manual.sidux.com/en/smxi-en.htm) is awesome. :)

Yep, I completely forgot about Sidux...

Solid choice if you're a Debian fan..

IGF

glockophilic
09-17-2008, 01:05
I guess im the only one using fedora still...

LinuxKnight
09-20-2008, 15:27
Glockophilic- Nope, proud Fedora user here, and Fedora Ambassador too.
Been using RedHat since RH5.0, after RH9 switched to Fedora.
I also use Ubuntu and Debian, and several others at times.

My current "project" is to get something workable going on an old dinosaur Dell Latitude D300 (PII 300, 64MB RAM). I tried both Ubuntu Alternate (which is Xubuntu), as well as Fedora net install (text mode). Next on the list may be Debian. It has DSL on it now (hdd install) but it is outdated and not really updateable.