Vista does not see HP printer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vista does not see HP printer

Green_Manelishi
09-14-2008, 22:06
I recently purchased a LT running Vista. It's "fine" except it does not see the HP printer on the network. My wife's Dell (XP Home) sees the printer, my old Toshiba (XP Pro) saw the printer, but the new Vista does not see the printer.
Our network is wireless running through a "Verizon" router. Any ideas?

WhatYouWant
09-14-2008, 23:07
My printer is running through a print server (dlink) because it is not network ready itself. I needed to install a new printer and provide the drivers and other information to have the Vista computer see the printer.

Can you ping the printer address from the laptop?

srhoades
09-14-2008, 23:15
Turn off the vista firewall. Does vista support this printer?

spotco2
09-14-2008, 23:29
I got a new computer last year that had Vista.

It would not recognise any of my printers.

After talking with HP support I found out that my year old laser was not compatable with Vista and my Lexmark's were not either.

Dumped Vista and loaded XP.

Everything's fine now.

Vista kinda sucks....a lot :)

Green_Manelishi
09-16-2008, 13:53
Do you know if the firewall is the problem or is that a guess? It's something I have wondered about but hesitated to turn off just to see if it worked.

I able to add the printer but it is still not visible to Vista. Not sure what that means.

Am "toying" with installing Virtual PC and Windows XP to see if that makes a difference.

Dare I say that I "hate" computers?

Sgt. Schultz
09-16-2008, 14:10
Do you know if the firewall is the problem or is that a guess? It's something I have wondered about but hesitated to turn off just to see if it worked.If your worried then disconect your Internet access point.

Am "toying" with installing Virtual PC and Windows XP to see if that makes a difference. I use VPC all the time ... I'm using it now, it's probably the safest way to access the Internet.

You probably need to find a compatible printer driver for Vista, check the manufactures web site.

Green_Manelishi
09-16-2008, 14:43
If your worried then disconect your Internet access point.

Not worried but if it's the firewall I wonder what MS was thinking.

I use VPC all the time ... I'm using it now, it's probably the safest way to access the Internet.

You probably need to find a compatible printer driver for Vista, check the manufactures web site.

Funny that I was able to "add" the printer using whatever drivers Vistuh has, and it thinks it's printing but nothing actually appears.

Sgt. Schultz
09-16-2008, 15:03
Funny that I was able to "add" the printer using whatever drivers Vistuh has, and it thinks it's printing but nothing actually appears.Sounds like a driver issue, check the manufactures web site for the latest one.

Green_Manelishi
09-16-2008, 15:28
Sounds like a driver issue, check the manufactures web site for the latest one.

If I read the HP site correctly the Vista driver is sufficient. However, most are assuming I am plugging the printer into the Vista LT; I am not, the HP is connected to the router.

Sgt. Schultz
09-16-2008, 16:00
If I read the HP site correctly the Vista driver is sufficient. However, most are assuming I am plugging the printer into the Vista LT; I am not, the HP is connected to the router.Okay that’s different story, what I would do is add the printer as if it were attached to the LT then change the printer port to the IP address of the printer.

ETA:
I have found that it's always easier to setup a wireless printer if you can actually attached it to the computer and install the drivers, then change the port settings and you are good to go … that way if there are any problems at least you know the printer works and the problem lies elsewhere.

Hokie
09-16-2008, 18:37
I got a new computer last year that had Vista.

It would not recognise any of my printers.

After talking with HP support I found out that my year old laser was not compatable with Vista and my Lexmark's were not either.

Dumped Vista and loaded XP.

Everything's fine now.

Vista kinda sucks....a lot :)

Why would you blame Lexmark's or HP's decision not to write Vista drivers on Microsoft?

spotco2
09-16-2008, 23:31
Why would you blame Lexmark's or HP's decision not to write Vista drivers on Microsoft?

Because all of the operating systems that Microsoft has came up with over the past 15 years or so have been backwards compatable so older software and components would work with the new operating system.

Not so with Vista.

I purchased this computer in July 07 and as of then Quicken was not compatable with Vista (this is my office computer). Neither was Adobe Acrobat or any of the software that is required for us to operate.

If I had kept Vista, I would have had to purchase a new laser printer also for the office to replace the one that I had purchased the year before for close to the same price as the new computer.

I actually kinda liked the way that Vista was running until I discovered that it was a completely worthless operating system for our office computer.

If it had been backwards compatable with XP, it would have been fine.

Microsoft seriously dropped the ball on this one.

dotsun
09-17-2008, 05:45
Because all of the operating systems that Microsoft has came up with over the past 15 years or so have been backwards compatable so older software and components would work with the new operating system.

Try loading Win 98 drivers on xp, you'll find that not to work. I do agree that it would have been nice if MS could have made vista more compatible with xp drivers but it is what it is. And what it is requires manufacturers of devices to write drivers for vista, which is not explicitly MS's responsibility.

To the OP: It does sound like you haven't set your port correctly in your driver.

wbgolden
09-18-2008, 21:43
edited