Windows blue screen on startup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows blue screen on startup

kengps
09-15-2008, 01:57
I have a Dell home computer running XP. The other day ago it hung up and I had to hold down the power button until it quit. Now I cannot get it to boot up. The "windows is shutting down to protect your computer" notice comes up everytime. Cannot start up in safe mode, last known good configuration, or with a command prompt. The only thing I was able to do was "open to utility partition" There I ran every test available...."OS system won't load, blue screen, hard drive error, system hangs up", etc. All the testing (4 hours worth) says everthing passes. What to do next? If all else fails can I remove the hard drive and access it with another computer?

Toyman
09-15-2008, 05:49
Boot with the XP disk in the drive, when you get to the first screen press "R" to do a repair. It will boot to a dos like window (takes a while). Once there, type "exit [enter]" and reboot.

Tennessee Slim
09-15-2008, 07:42
What is the message on the BSOD (KMODE exception not handled, IRQL not less or equal, etc.)?

GixxerSixxer
09-15-2008, 20:21
Download Knoppix and burn the image as an iso to a CD or USB. A 1 gig thumb drive is more than sufficient to hold Knoppix.

You might need to change your BIOS to recognize the drive you want to read from at startup. The C: drive will be the one windows is on and the one you want to avoid. The BIOS might be set to C:, but there is also likely it's set to the CD/DVD drive as first then the C: drive second.

Knoppix is a Linux OS that will allow you access to the contents of your hard drive. You can take all docs, pics, movies, etc and put them onto a portable HD or burn to a CD. If you want to burn to CD then running Knoppix from a flash drive will be easier.

Once all your info is off the computer you can reformat and reinstall the windows OS.

I had the same thing happen to me on my Dell.

kengps
09-15-2008, 21:32
OK. Disabled the hard drive as the startup OS and now I am able to get to the Repair console. It would not load from the CD rom before. At least I am making progress past where I got before. Running chkdsk now. Hot Dam! Thanks for the help guys. Now off to buy an external BU hard drive. I learned my lesson. Thankfully I didn't lose everything.