Flash Drive Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Flash Drive Question

whiteknight3633
09-15-2008, 16:28
Question: Can someone in the GlockTalk collective explain why I can only put 1 GB of stuff onto a 2 GB flash drive?

Story: I got a 2 GB Ativa Flash Drive (Office Depot brand) over the weekend, put it in my laptop and began copying music over to it. The songs are in WMA format.

When the flash drive became about 1/2 full (just a tick over 1 GB), I got a popup message saying to the effect "directory cannot be found" and would not let me put anything else on it. This happened about midway through copying a cd.

I then went to the internet and and tried to copy several different image files to the flash drive and got the same message.

Any ideas as to why or maybe how I can use the other half of the drive?

Thanks in advance.

WK

Blitzer
09-15-2008, 17:05
Question: Can someone in the GlockTalk collective explain why I can only put 1 GB of stuff onto a 2 GB flash drive?

Story: I got a 2 GB Ativa Flash Drive (Office Depot brand) over the weekend, put it in my laptop and began copying music over to it. The songs are in WMA format.

When the flash drive became about 1/2 full (just a tick over 1 GB), I got a popup message saying to the effect "directory cannot be found" and would not let me put anything else on it. This happened about midway through copying a cd.

I then went to the internet and and tried to copy several different image files to the flash drive and got the same message.

Any ideas as to why or maybe how I can use the other half of the drive?

Thanks in advance.

WK

When asking for advice please give the Computer type, CPU, Hard drive capacity, RAM memory, USB version, and most importantly which operating system you use.

Maybe your USB is version 1.1 and not 2.0?

Windows 98/SE/ME might be the issue.

There is a limit to the number of files on disks, how many files were there?

I recommend converting the files to Mpeg first as they are much smaller files.

:dunno:

Maybe it was preformatted to a 1gb size or the copy process messed up the file system on the flash drive? Right click and check the properties flash drive, then if it is a 2gb drive try low level format under right click.

:cool: :supergrin:

noway
09-15-2008, 18:16
because the factor of 2 gig is not really 2gig when format. You need to get the final disk size.

It goes back to the days of 1024 vrs 1000 kilobytes ;)

whiteknight3633
09-15-2008, 18:18
When asking for advice please give the Computer type, CPU, Hard drive capacity, RAM memory, USB version, and most importantly which operating system you use.

I apologize for not including that. I thought the issue might be generic to all flash drives.

Computer type: Compaq Pesario 2200
CPU: Intel Celeron M 1.4 GHz
HD capacity: 37 GB
RAM: 480 Mb
USB: 2.0
Operating Sys: Windows XP sp2
------------------------------------------

Number of files that I can get on the flash drive: 150

The last sentence about it being preformatted into 1 GB and if not, low level formatting is interesting. I will check that out as soon as I can.

DragonRider
09-15-2008, 19:02
Did it come in original packaging? Could be a return that someone has a hidden file on.

Have you tried reformatting it?? Read everything first!

First, Right click on drive-->Properties, what are the numbers there?

Click My Computer--> Find the Drive--> Right Click--> Format-->FAT 32, then repeat the Properties above and see if the numbers change. A reformat will lose everything on the drive.

Let us know. Good Luck.

John

srhoades
09-15-2008, 19:18
Most retail flash drives come with software already on the drive. Format the drive and then see what you can fit on it.

Tennessee Slim
09-16-2008, 07:19
A message to the effect "directory cannot be found" does not indicate the drive is full.

aspartz
09-16-2008, 09:01
Is the drive formatted FAT or NTFS? IIRC, there is a limit to the number of file that can be in a single directory with FAT.

ARS

Tennessee Slim
09-16-2008, 11:31
FAT16's root directory is limited to 512 entries, less if long file names are used.

FAT32 can manage 4,177,920 files per volume and 65,534 files per directory, less if long file names are used.

NTFS can manage more than 4 billion files per volume and doesn't care how many are in any given directory.

Again, I can't see exceeding the allowable number of files producing a "directory cannot be found" error message.

whiteknight3633
09-16-2008, 12:13
Aspartz and Slim,

What you both are suggesting may be the root issue. My wife's son took the flash drive with him so he could put the songs on his computer and he won't be back for a couple of weeks. I won't be able to see the properties, etc until he gets back but it is entirely possible it is in FAT format and some of the song titles were rather long.

To answer one of the other questions, yes it was brand spanking new in the package from Office Depot.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help out with what turns out to be little information. Ya'll have given me some good ideas as to where to start and hopefully in a couple of weeks I can see the flash drive again and, using the ideas given here, figure out the issue.

Thanks everyone.

WK

grokdesigns
09-16-2008, 20:46
Also be sure that it has only one partition. I had a flash drive that hides an encrypted partition, and it is only visible to the OS after a program is run that un-hides the partition.

Right click My Computer and go to Manage. Select Disk Management on the left side. It will list the drive and show size of the partition(s). You can right-click on the partitions to delete them all and the create one new partition to fill the drive.