Something we can do to repeal the "State of Emergency" clause [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Something we can do to repeal the "State of Emergency" clause

Ignition
09-17-2008, 13:22
It is also a misdemeanor under North Carolina law for a person to transport or
possess, off his or her own premises, a dangerous weapon in an area during a declared
state of emergency, or in the vicinity of a riot. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-288.7 A concealed
handgun permit does not allow a permittee to carry a weapon in these areas. N.C. Gen.
Stat. 14-415.11(c)

What can we do to try to strike this from the lawbooks. A state of emergency is easily declared by the Govenor and now your right to carry has been effectively limited to your "premise."

Take for example like in Louisianna during and after Hurricane Katrina, just image your forced to evacuate your house but you cannot take your firearm with you for self defense.

*I currently am still listed as an Indiana resident, but currently stationed in NC. So im not sure if me suggesting a bill, or even trying to get anything moving would have effect. But as long as I live in this state I figure we can try to push for getting rid of alot of the useless "sensible" gun laws, where we come back to the fact on paper it sounds good but in practice leaves many gaps.

Grayson
09-17-2008, 19:47
I wonder if anyone has been charged with carrying in the vicinity of a riot, when they found themselves in one (NOT "went to" one)...

"Well, sorry officer - these rioters forgot to pencil in this event on my schedule for the day, or I would have known to leave my CCW at home!" :upeyes:

Lord, we have some frakked-up laws in this state...

MrsKitty
09-17-2008, 21:37
Iggy! I didn't realize you were in NC now. :wavey:

How have you been?

NC Bullseye
09-17-2008, 21:40
Well people COULD have written their reps last year in support of House Bill 310 which would have solved the problem but sadly, it died in committee. You could call and write (real snail mail make the biggest impact) your reps and ask they revive it and ask them to keep you posted on its progress.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2007&BillID=H310

Ignition
09-18-2008, 05:41
well im stationed around hear Misskitty.

And last year I was in iraq, didnt know about the bill.... sorry. But next time something like this comes around I will be sure to write