American Legion members? Why Not? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : American Legion members? Why Not?

black rob
09-17-2008, 21:06
Sound Off if you are a member?

If you aren't a member, why not?

Rob Schoening
Post 439
Silver City, IA

JimmyMN
09-29-2008, 22:15
I'm not, because they treated me like s**t when I returned from Vietnam in 1970. It may be a fine organization, but I surely wasn't welcomed so never went back. At the time, all they did was swill beer and talk about "the big one in '42" and how I hadn't been in a "real war" and we were losing for the first time...what a crock.

I'm 100% service-connected disabled permanent and total and a life member of Disabled American Veterans (DAV), an organization that stood beside me and helped me out.

Marine8541
09-30-2008, 21:30
I’m not a member because I didn’t think any of the AL posts by me had enough community involvement and I didn’t like the fact that the Department and District we so active with a heavy hand when it came to Post business especially when it came to politics. I have a lot of friends that I respect who belong to the legion I just felt there were better organizations that met my needs and goals better.

CPT_CRUNCH
10-01-2008, 10:02
not in the legion but i'm a member of my local VFW. i love talking w/ those old timers!

deadday
10-01-2008, 11:02
Not a member yet...I think the old guys are still adjusting to having us young punks around.....

drew

Kayaker
10-15-2008, 23:21
As a kid I got a terrible impression of fat, out of shape, way older guys with atrocious outfits, especially the "c "cap. I just never was interested, especially going to a place full of old drunks and full of cigarette smoke. Sorry, they may do good things, but now that I am on old one, still at high school weight, however, I still am not interested in joining.

Doubletaps'Rus
10-26-2008, 19:04
Post 89 Member.

CaliMoon2005- L
11-06-2008, 17:49
Actually, I had a talk with one of them today, and plan on plan the dues soon. Worth a shot I guess...:supergrin:

EUPHER49
11-06-2008, 20:33
40 years and counting. I must be one of the old guys...

Post 559, Annville, Pa.

Central Texan
11-07-2008, 21:51
I've considered it, but honestly dont know what they do. I never hear anything about them around here, even though there's a post just down the road.

Harrison
11-28-2008, 19:42
I've considered it, but honestly dont know what they do. I never hear anything about them around here, even though there's a post just down the road.

+1 Someone give us the scoop. :cool:

WildIrishClancy
11-29-2008, 19:11
16 year member POST 379
Bedford Texas

DennisH
12-22-2008, 07:57
While I have tremendous respect for all of the veterans organizations out there, VFW, AL, Disabled American Vets, etc, I have not joined for a variety of reasons, some of which were stated in previous posts. The veterans halls I have visited in various capacities were all pretty much alike - lots of alcohol, cigarettes, and tales of past glories. While there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not who I am. The couple of times I considered joining an organization, once the leadership learned of my background, they all basically wanted me to handle all of the organizations business full time, not thinking that I actually do have a day job. So, my salute to all of the vets organizations out there. You fill an important niche for those who are looking for it.:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Marine8541
12-26-2008, 17:50
The couple of times I considered joining an organization, once the leadership learned of my background, they all basically wanted me to handle all of the organizations business full time, not thinking that I actually do have a day job. So, my salute to all of the vets organizations out there. You fill an important niche for those who are looking for it.:patriot::patriot::patriot:

These had to be the weakest posts in America. I donít care if you have the business credentials of Bill Gates or the awards, decorations, and medals of Audie Murphy any good post wonít let you near a leadership billet until youíve put in some serious grunt time. Every post that Iíve ever seen that wasnít recently granted a charter has always had post GOís or bylaws requiring a set number of years of service before a member may hold a post.

Glockrunner
12-30-2008, 21:58
Iím not a member because I didnít think any of the AL posts by me had enough community involvement and I didnít like the fact that the Department and District we so active with a heavy hand when it came to Post business especially when it came to politics. I have a lot of friends that I respect who belong to the legion I just felt there were better organizations that met my needs and goals better.
I too felt that way on my return. But several cruises later and a different port Carnaval(?), FL I think, I was treated as a king. Couldn't buy a beer, was taxied around town like a big shot so I could get some personnal items and generally well treated at that post.

Couple years later I joined too. Post 166 in Goose Creek, SC.

While still a member, I too don't care for the drinking and smoke filled rooms so I'm inactive. You won't find a better group of vets except VFW.

Give'em another try, I know you'll find things have changed.

Marine8541
12-30-2008, 23:57
I too felt that way on my return. But several cruises later and a different port Carnaval(?), FL I think, I was treated as a king. Couldn't buy a beer, was taxied around town like a big shot so I could get some personnal items and generally well treated at that post.

Couple years later I joined too. Post 166 in Goose Creek, SC.

While still a member, I too don't care for the drinking and smoke filled rooms so I'm inactive. You won't find a better group of vets except VFW.

Give'em another try, I know you'll find things have changed.

With so many Veteran organizations that meet my goals of increasing Veterans benefits, community involvement, grass roots activism, and local business development there is no need to join an organization that I would be forced to swim against the current to meet my needs. Itís easier to spend my time at an organization that currently meets what Iím looking for. Iíve held posts in the VFW and RSNCO Assosiation.

Iím sure theyíre a great bunch of guys but the posts around me arenít what Iím looking for.

janice6
12-31-2008, 00:15
I have never tried to join any Veterans organizations because I don't feel qualified to be called a veteran. I put in my time on an ocean going minesweeper and other then Beruit, 6th Fleet presence during a revolution in the late 50's, I have never had to fight in a conflict or war.

Fred Hansen
12-31-2008, 01:02
I'm Post Historian, and Past Commander of Post 159 Vashon, Washington.

Our island community had a Post that went belly-up back in the very early 1980s; after 9/11 happened, a bunch of us got together enough people to get the Post re-chartered. We knew then that our country was at war, and we wanted to make damn sure that the people returning from it weren't going to be treated like **** the way many of us were, and we figured that having an organization like American Legion behind us would be the best way to accomplish that mission.

We don't have a bar, and very few of us smoke, and our Post is almost exclusively about service to our fellow vets and our community.

Oddly enough, the lack of drinking and smoking keeps a lot of folks from joining our Post, so I guess that sort of thing goes both ways. Once a quarter we hold our meeting in the back room of our local Eagles Aerie, so folks can get a bite to eat and a drink or two.

We make every effort to track everyone from our community who is serving, and we send each one of them a yearly subscription to a magazine of their choosing. We send cards and care packages, and we send boxes of books to Ft. Lewis, Camp Murray, and McChord AFB. Our Post Service Officer assists those in need of help with VA benefits issues, and generally keeps track of local vets in need.

Many of us are members and officers/trustees of our local sportsmen's club, and we asked our fellow club members to grant 1 year of free membership to active duty and/or returning members of our community, the vote was unanimous in favor of the motion. We also offer private land deer hunting opportunities to service men and women stationed in our area.

We also serve as the core of our NRA Instructor's group, where we teach everything from basic rifle/pistol/shotgun, to personal protection, to range safety. We run a kid's shooting sports camp for a week in the summer, to help ensure that at least some of the kids in our community will know how to be safe around guns, and be able to use them effectively if need be.

We do other stuff too, like send high school Juniors to Boy's and Girl's State, and put 150+ flags up and down on holidays on poles mounted on businesses around town, and of course we help with Memorial Day services, and funerals for departed vets. I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting, but suffice it to say, we do what we can, and hope to do more.

bennwj
12-31-2008, 09:55
I'm a member "at large" but do not participate much. I really enjoy the VFW much more. They (my post anyway) did things for the community and the veterans hospital.

MDLibertarian
01-01-2009, 14:21
I'm a member of Post 300 in Columbia, MD, though not an active member. The Post is really active with community service sponsoring speaking contests for HS students, Jr ROTC programs, sending care packages to Guard units they've adopted, and many other programs.

Ralphie
01-04-2009, 15:26
I have never tried to join any Veterans organizations because I don't feel qualified to be called a veteran. I put in my time on an ocean going minesweeper and other then Beruit, 6th Fleet presence during a revolution in the late 50's, I have never had to fight in a conflict or war.

You ARE a veteran. Thank you.

Fox
01-07-2009, 10:55
I am already a member of the VFW. I thought about joining the American Legion, I might do so in the future.

Fox
01-07-2009, 10:59

You should go down there and find out.

deadday
01-07-2009, 12:51
I've still got a lot of.....stuff....I need to get worked out before I can get involved in anything like that....I am a member of the VFW, but not really active....just not the right time I guess...

Bearcat06
01-16-2009, 13:51
I'm not because the local legion is just a bar that allows anyone inside.....there tends to be fights and underage drinking there....and half the folks that drink there I've arrested for DUI, warrants, or driving on suspended/revoked license....

I wish they would close the damn place down.....then reopen as a true private club and kick all the trash out of the place......and use the all as it's meant to be.....

Sluf01
01-29-2009, 15:27
American Legion member.. Good organization.. Nuff Said..

Hack
01-31-2009, 21:08
I am. US Army National Guard, and Army. About 9 years. 1980 to 1989.

Quick question for American Legion members who may know. Does US Coast Guard service make one eligible for American Legion membership? And, does it during periods of conflict make one eligible for any military veterans benefits? Keeping in mind that the USCG is presently under USDHS.

Steve 48
02-06-2009, 11:31
40 years ago, they said my service in Vietnam was not a combat situation so I would be an associate member. I have never went back.

vietvet50
03-04-2009, 18:15
Member of 1619 morrisonville N.Y. dont go but pay My dues will quit when I move to vegas this year might find one out there, am a life member of DAV. Legion helped Me with a claim once, guess thats why I stay a member...Ron