Concealing a 686 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealing a 686

spddogman
09-21-2008, 08:19
I have found a beautiful pre lock 686-4 with a 2 1/2 " barrel. I am probably going to get it, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone make smaller, more concealable grips for an L frame Smith? I like the precision specialties grips but they dont make them for the L frame.

2. Anybody carry this gun IWB? If so, what holster are you using?

Thanks...

h2o-5o
09-21-2008, 08:47
You will be limited in how small your grips can be, due to the frame itself. Something on the order of "boot grips", such as Uncle Mike's, Spegel, or Eagle Secret Service would be about as small as you could go. Unless of course you wanted the old "splinter" type grips.

FYI, K-frame grips fit the L-frame. That was part of the L-frame's claim to fame, a beefed up gun but still retaining the K-frame grip size.

I can't do IWB myself. IF I had to, something in the order of Spark's Summer Special or Executive Companion would be my choice. But a L-frame sharing the waistband with there being so much of me, no thanks.

My personal choice is a Galco OWB "FLETCH" model, I believe it's called. It is a two slot, semi-high-ride, thumbbreak holster that is molded kind of "off-set" to the body.

jdeere_man
10-06-2008, 19:18
Grip wise I might suggest Ahrends Concealable Boot grips.

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/revolver.htm

Or you could use old fashioned factory service grips. I always liked the looks of those. You can add a tyler t-grip if you prefer, which I also like the look of.

Holster wise, tons of choices probably. IWB revolver has never been one of my huge favorites due to the shape of the gun, but I suppose it depends on your body style and it is do-able.

Lester R. Britton
01-20-2010, 13:39
I've carried a 686 for a good while now and I've tried OWB, IWB and variations. I always come back to a Galco shoulder holster. That way you can have any sized grip you want and it's comfortable.

pjva04
01-20-2010, 18:42
Factory grips off an old K-Frame teamed with Tylers is a good bet. So far as IWB, I used to carry a Model 19 in a Tucker Texas Heritage and found it to be very comfy...sold that whole rig to fund a Glock purchase...boy do I feel dumb.

fowler
01-21-2010, 16:57
I use the simply rugged pancake owb and Hogue compact grips. One mean accurate carrygun with simply rugged holster is comfortable.