Can someone explain this behavior after power outage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this behavior after power outage?

sjfrellc
09-22-2008, 10:50
On several occaisions I have had the power go out on different PC boxes with Windows XP. When trying to reboot, the only thing that happens is the CPU cooling fan turns on high and stays there. Then, nothing happens. Powering down by pushing the off button 5 seconds and then restarting does the same thing.

Then If the cord is disconnected from the power supply it will then boot as normal after the cord is plugged in and power button is pushed. I only learned how to get is going again by trial and error.

aspartz
09-22-2008, 11:05
My new tower does the same thing. After a power flicker it would ALMOST reboot. It took a few seconds of no power to completely power fail. I assume that there is still some residual voltage in the power supply that is keeping one bus alive but not the others and the BIOS has a conniption.

My problem was compounded by an inadequate UPS. New one is 1250 VA. No issues with the power company since to test it. It also has not rained since I fixed the gutters, go figure.

ARS

d3athp3nguin
09-22-2008, 17:11
+1 to power still in power supply.

That's why when you call tech support to diagnose various electronic gadgets, they usually tell you to "unplug the device for xx seconds/minutes."

Whats really fun to try (though pretty stupid to do) is swap out a laptop battery WITHOUT switching to a power cord first, while keeping the laptop on. If there is enough juice in the capacitors, you can get up to a 2 second time window on some laptops. Again not recommended, but cool when it works.