Dell Inspiron Mini 9 anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron Mini 9 anyone?

AnalogKid
09-22-2008, 21:39
Just saw a Dell ad for an "Inspiron Mini 9" and was curious if anyone knows about it. Oddly enough I've been looking for a smaller than 15.4" notebook for awhile now but didn't think they made them and then spotted this one.

Base model says it has "Ubuntu Linux Version 8.04" but I'm not sure what that is for an operating system. Will I be able to surf the web and use Opera and/or Firefox browser? Pros and cons?

My notebook needs are actually quite few, the biggest being portability without being a regular 15.4" notebook or a cellphone sized wireless device. I want something small and light but still a computer with a screen big enough to read without squinting. The Mini 9 looks about the right size.

Any thoughts?

IndyGunFreak
09-23-2008, 01:02
Just saw a Dell ad for an "Inspiron Mini 9" and was curious if anyone knows about it. Oddly enough I've been looking for a smaller than 15.4" notebook for awhile now but didn't think they made them and then spotted this one.

Base model says it has "Ubuntu Linux Version 8.04" but I'm not sure what that is for an operating system. Will I be able to surf the web and use Opera and/or Firefox browser? Pros and cons?

My notebook needs are actually quite few, the biggest being portability without being a regular 15.4" notebook or a cellphone sized wireless device. I want something small and light but still a computer with a screen big enough to read without squinting. The Mini 9 looks about the right size.

Any thoughts?

For surfing the web and general use, Ubuntu will be fine. Only real downside of Linux(for new users), is its not Windows. Windows software does not work, and your best bet is to find linux native programs for whatever you want to do... There are ways to get Windows programs to work under Linux, but its pretty hit/miss.

Read all about it..
http://www.ubuntu.com

IGF

Toyman
09-24-2008, 04:46
The Dell Mini 9 comes in a Windows XP version as well for only $50 more at $399.

Inspiron Mini 9 Details (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=hmpgwn2&s=dhs)

ldcarson
09-24-2008, 08:43
I see that Dell has been watching the success of the EEE PC platform (Owner myself). I love the little Asus and I am sure the Dell mini will also be a hit.

It just occured to me that here I am on GlockTalk and my very first post is in the Technical pc arena... ;-)

g29andy
09-24-2008, 11:10
Dell also makes an Inspiron 13" screen, several Latitudes and Vostro's with 12-14" screens. If you don't need the latest and greatest, check out DellOutlet for refurbs of newer models, or DFS for lease returns on older models.

I picked up a refurb Latitude X1, 2.5 lbs, 12.1" widescreen, XPPro, 1.1ghz Pentium M, 80GB HD, 1.25 GB RAM, wireless G, Bluetooth modular CDRW/DVDROM for 400. These don't show up very often on the Dell website, but the Vostro 1310's, 1400's, and other small screen latitudes do.

The Pontificator
09-24-2008, 15:34
I think the big draw behind netbooks...aside from the small form factor and portability...is the SSD vs. HDD. I take mine everywhere during the day...on a rattletrap of a truck with lousy suspension....and so far it runs like a champ.

The Pontificator
09-26-2008, 06:27
Has Dell even started shipping these out?

IndyGunFreak
09-28-2008, 04:46
Has Dell even started shipping these out?

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure(some folks on Ebay are guaranteeing delivery by Oct 1, so I assume they are in stock). It took me a while to decide which netbook to get. I considered the Dell Mini 9, but it would run about $130 more for the same amount of disk space, memory, etc, as the Asus, but it had a slightly more powerful processor. I also checked out the MSI wind, Acer Aspire One, and the Sylvania netbook. I almost got the Sylvania, but the graphics device was highly suspect in it(Unichrome has horrible Linux support, and I don't even care about 3D crap), and the touchpad looks about the size of my thumb (read lots of complaints about that). But at $299, it warranted consideration since this isn't gonna be a serious PC....

Ultimately, I think I'm gonna be happy w/ the Asus.

IGF