Occasional Problem - help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Occasional Problem - help

pascal
09-23-2008, 06:23
Hello,
I have XP SP2 and when another user logs in, there are two plus owner, it gives an error about user profile and requires a restart. Occurs rarely. Any ideas? Thanx for any help.
pascal

solomansousana
09-26-2008, 13:43
Hello,
I have XP SP2 and when another user logs in, there are two plus owner, it gives an error about user profile and requires a restart. Occurs rarely. Any ideas? Thanx for any help.
pascal

Try removing all user accts, then create one guest acct with limited access and see if that works.

pascal
09-26-2008, 15:04
Thank you for your reply. If the problem continues I will attempt that. And yell for help again if it doesn't work.
pascal

grokdesigns
09-26-2008, 17:44
An exact quote of the error would be most helpful. Generally, if a user profile is corrupt, the easiest fix is to create a new account for that user and migrate documents, local settings, etc.

pascal
09-27-2008, 04:19
I do remember the words corrupt and user profile and possibly see your administrator. I definately will copy it down and get you Gentlemen more precise information. Thanx.
pascal

Big Al 24
09-28-2008, 12:53
I've had this issue before and it may require a reinstall of the OS. Something is corrupting your user account profiles. The MS fix is simple:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q318011/

If this continues to happen after you take those steps, or it won't let you take those steps and keeps throwing errors. You probably want to backup your data and reinstall windows. The root cause of this could be a dying hard drive (or controller) or a bad stick of memory. Mine stopped doing it after replacing the hard drive after 2 windows installs kept having the same problem. Even if you don't want to dig that deep it is an excellent idea to backup your data at this point. If you can determine your hard drive manufacturer they probably have tools that might help diagnose a failing drive. Here is a link to the Ultimate Boot CD that has all of the links to useful diagnostic apps on it's website if you don't want the whole thing. Just scroll down to Hard Disk Installation/Diagnostic tools and select the program made by your drive manufacturer and try memtest to see if it's a bad stick of memory.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

pascal
09-28-2008, 19:34
Thank you very much! That does make sense to back up everything now. The computer is not very old but who can tell? I hadn't thought through the possible seriousness of the symptoms. Take care.
pascal