Linux gurus: My Aspire One's Media Master player is..."glitchy" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linux gurus: My Aspire One's Media Master player is..."glitchy"

The Pontificator
09-26-2008, 22:16
Check this out:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4221

I ripped a CD to my Mac and then transferred the files to my Aspire One. All tracks on the CD were good and not corrupted yes the AAO's media master software keeps skipping one particular track. I can get the track to play if opened with another application called "M Player"(that's a Mozilla app).

WTF?

d3athp3nguin
09-27-2008, 02:10
Alas, quirky software.

I have had similar experiences with media players regardless of the player or OS. Sometimes Amarok (another linux audio player) would randomly not be able to play a certain MP3, and VLC could. In my inexperienced unqualified opinion, some audio players seem to be able to "muscle through" files with certain imperfections in them, or they may use a different audio decoder (or different versions of the same decoder) and glitches in the decoder are to blame. Those kinds of problems are very common with video players as well. Try playing a subbed anime video on a standard media player... it will poo a brick.

Any way you can install Amarok on there? It is one of the more popular choices for Linux audio players.

Big Al 24
10-04-2008, 19:24
Does it have anything to do with enabling DMA mode? I have a fuzzy recollection of having media hitching issues with Ubuntu and what fixed it at the time was to enable DMA mode on either the HD or the DVD....

The Pontificator
10-04-2008, 19:56
Does it have anything to do with enabling DMA mode? I have a fuzzy recollection of having media hitching issues with Ubuntu and what fixed it at the time was to enable DMA mode on either the HD or the DVD....

I have no idea. I am of very low tech ability.

I read a review of the Acer Aspire One on some website. It was a very even-handed review and the writer pointed out that the only Achilles heel of the OS was the media player. Acer is kicking butt with this little netbook but they really need to speed up the patches to get media master working at top speed.

Now, I will say that I downloaded and extracted several .zip files (music) and played all of it on Media Master tonight with no glitches.

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of the AAO. I'm just sorry I didn't wait another six weeks to get the newer, updated model with the 16GB SSD vs. the original 8GB SSD (although I did install an 8GB SC card to double the storage space).

IndyGunFreak
10-05-2008, 05:33

To my knowledge, that only involved playing DVD's from disk. You are right though, I don't think it was present on any version but Ubuntu. That issue has been fixed since version 7.04 (About 1.5yrs)...

I'm not familiar w/ this media master player you're talking about, all I know is on my Asus, VLC works fine. If you have VLC in your software repositories, it might be wise to install it and try it. I only use it for Video, but some use it for everything. Audacious will rock your socks for music/mp3's... :)

IGF

Dandapani
10-05-2008, 06:15
MPlayer is NOT a Mozilla app. It is a full product on its own. I use it nearly daily in my professional and personal life for lots of functions besides "playing movies".

http://www.mplayerhq.hu

Big Al 24
10-05-2008, 18:50
To my knowledge, that only involved playing DVD's from disk. You are right though, I don't think it was present on any version but Ubuntu. That issue has been fixed since version 7.04 (About 1.5yrs)...

I'm not familiar w/ this media master player you're talking about, all I know is on my Asus, VLC works fine. If you have VLC in your software repositories, it might be wise to install it and try it. I only use it for Video, but some use it for everything. Audacious will rock your socks for music/mp3's... :)

IGF

There was a program called Automatix (in earlier versions of Ubuntu) that would enable it for you. You have a point about CD/DVD rom drives, I also think DMA can be enabled on hard disks to enable smoother playback. I am going to try Ubuntu again soon (for CompIZ) and I'm wondering what the status of Automatix currently is...

IndyGunFreak
10-06-2008, 01:43
There was a program called Automatix (in earlier versions of Ubuntu) that would enable it for you. You have a point about CD/DVD rom drives, I also think DMA can be enabled on hard disks to enable smoother playback. I am going to try Ubuntu again soon (for CompIZ) and I'm wondering what the status of Automatix currently is...

DMA can be enabled on hard drives, but the problem you described above, was definitely related to enabling DMA on your optical drive. That said, it really shouldn't be an issue for most users now days.. I've not saw that problem come up in at least a year.

While Automatix existed, and was a good idea on paper, in practice, it was a horrible idea to use it(Kind of along the same lines as EasyUbuntu). When it worked, it worked. When it failed(which was often), you were reinstalling. It seemed *most* of the problems came during upgrades(kernel and system). While I can't verify this, people way more experienced than me suggested Automatix was trying to pull in upgrades from the various non-regulated repositories that it accessed, and invariably it would break the upgrade. Regardless, the Automatix project, while it still exists, it does not work w/ Ubuntu anymore to my knowledge.

A lot of people said if they removed Automatix, upgraded, then reinstalled, it was fine. A lot of people said their system still broke when doing the above. Tracking down the problem was nearly impossible, because you rarely knew from what repository Automatix pulled the upgrade in, to hose it(thats why most of the time you just ended up reinstalling). I spend quite a bit of time in the Ubuntu support channels, simply because I owe Ubuntu a debt of gratitude for finally getting me off the Windows teet. I use Debian mostly now, but still have Ubuntu on my eee and a small junk PC and am experienced enough to give general help and support.

That said, most of what you could install on Automatix, was easily available via the repositories... What wasn't (multimedia codecs, DVD playback, etc.) is why people used Automatix.... Now, there is a repository that will add these things quite easily for you, and can be added after install in about 10-15sec. Its called Medibuntu.

http://www.medibuntu.org/

If you need some help, lemme know.. I can get most people through an install, getting programs installed, etc.. Compiz is cool, and very easy to set up, provided you don't have an ATI graphics device. Intel and Nvidia, are generally very easy to setup.

IGF