Well, I pulled the trigger on an Asus EEE PC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well, I pulled the trigger on an Asus EEE PC

IndyGunFreak
09-27-2008, 21:57
I ordered an Asus eee 900 tonight. I felt the price had dropped to a point that I could get something that was probably gonna be pretty much useless to me...lol. It'll probably be fun to keep in my work truck when things are slow, I'll find a hotspot to hop on and surf....

I'll be adding another version of Linux to it, probably either Ubuntu 8.04, or they've got a version of Ubuntu made for the eee (eee-ubuntu), that is supposed to make all the hardware, etc, work out of the box.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3981690&CatId=2289

IGF

d3athp3nguin
09-28-2008, 02:15
Just pick through the eee Ubuntu forums first, to make sure they have all the kinks worked out. They should for the 701/900 by now, since those were the first two models. I had to do a lot of tweaks to eeeXubuntu when I installed it, but it was pretty sweet when I did.

With an ubuntu distro you can get compiz-fusion (the 3d thing) working on it. Not useful, but really shiny!

IndyGunFreak
09-28-2008, 04:37
Just pick through the eee Ubuntu forums first, to make sure they have all the kinks worked out. They should for the 701/900 by now, since those were the first two models. I had to do a lot of tweaks to eeeXubuntu when I installed it, but it was pretty sweet when I did.

With an ubuntu distro you can get compiz-fusion (the 3d thing) working on it. Not useful, but really shiny!

Yeah, actually they just released 8.04 for the eee, and it apparently has resolved quite a few issues (at least thats my understanding). I'm pretty familiar w/ Ubuntu and Debian, so I don't think I'll have a problem getting everything working. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

3D effects have never really appealed to me, even on my powerful PC and mid-range laptop.

IGF

dotsun
09-28-2008, 04:47
Wow, those things are really cheap. What speed is the processor? I couldn't find it on Tiger, of course I haven't had my first cupa joe yet either. :)

Blitzer
09-28-2008, 05:45
Will the environmental issue be as such to insure the functionality of a PC stored in your truck?

Won't the heat/cold mess it up? ;)

Blitzer
09-28-2008, 05:45
Wow, those things are really cheap. What speed is the processor? I couldn't find it on Tiger, of course I haven't had my first cupa joe yet either. :)

Click the link and it is there like majic! :supergrin:

Laptops (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=17) > Intel Based Laptops (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1891) > New (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2289) http://images.tigerdirect.com/homepage/add.gif Asus Eee PC 900 - Intel Mobile CPU, 802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 16GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linux (Galaxy Black)

Asus Eee PC 900
http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemdetails/A455-8005-out1-dw.jpg You demanded it. We have it! The new 8.9-inch, 2.18-pound Asus Eee PC 900. It’s easy to learn, work and play when you own an Asus Eee PC 900. It’s easy to use, with its one-click interface. Plus, the Asus Eee PC 900 is tough, having survived with flying colors Asus’s perilous drop testing. The Asus Eee PC 900 offers wireless connectivity, rapid 15-second boot time, and comes preloaded with Linux (Windows XP Compatible, Drivers included) featuring more than 40 built-in software applications, including the popular Open Office suite. This revolutionary mobile PC boasts brilliant 1024 x 600 WSVGA display resolution, an Intel UMA graphics engine, high-definition audio, a 16GB solid state drive, 1GB of DDR2 memory, and an Intel Mobile CPU. Other superb features include a 1.3 megapixel integrated webcam, built-in microphone, and a snazzy carrying case. Ideal for students, traveling professionals, vacationers. Super lightweight. Shock proof chassis. A versatile mobile PC that’s great for surfing the Internet, word processing, connecting on-camera with your friends, family members, and colleagues. Order today, because supplies are limited.

IndyGunFreak
09-28-2008, 06:21

From what I've read, 1.6ghz. Its not just you, its not listed on TD for some reason. I found it w/ a little Google-eese.. :) They are cheap, but they've got a specific use. They aren't gonna compete for a desktop replacement, or really even a laptop replacement. Its really for doing light, simple stuff(Surf, email, solitaire..lol).

If you wanna see cheap, this is cheap, but like I said, the freakin touchpad looks ridiculously small... It has an actual 30gig hard drive instead of a SSD. The touchpad though...lol, what were they thinking.. I usually use a mouse, so it probably wouldn't have mattered much to me, but as I said, I had some serious questions about the graphics device to.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3747065&CatId=3994

IGF

IndyGunFreak
09-28-2008, 06:23
Will the environmental issue be as such to insure the functionality of a PC stored in your truck?

Won't the heat/cold mess it up? ;)

Naaa... it should be fine. I've kept another junk laptop in my truck, and it was fine for almost 2yrs, then the MB took a dump. I'll probably get some sort of case for it to protect it, and vehicle charger, but really it should be fine...

Edit: As I've been doing some googling, trying to anticipate problems, etc... It appears several Linux distros are making versions specific to the eee PCs. So Far, I've found Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Xandros, and apparently a Fedora version is in the mix... I guess the fact that all hardware is known, etc, it will make it easy to custom compile a kernel to make everything work out of the box...

IGF

Dandapani
09-28-2008, 18:39
Which Linux distro comes standard on the EEE?

DragonRider
09-28-2008, 21:40
How well do these things handle a DVD file?? Im looking at one of these in this genre for travel/photo download, and very little photo editing, plus the normal websurfing. I do realize these are not the strengths of the system.

John

IndyGunFreak
09-28-2008, 22:19
Which Linux distro comes standard on the EEE?

My understanding, its a version of Xandros that is on the eee's. I think the Aspire Ones, come w/ Linpus, and some other ones out there come with various others(Ubuntu, gOS, etc.)

Dragon, I'm not sure what you mean by DVD file... Like a movie you've ripped off a DVD?

DragonRider
09-28-2008, 22:49
Yes to ripped files from DVDs. I read the earlier ones sometimes played the video and sound out of sync. Not enough horsepower I think.

If it works. I would have a nice light portable movie player and websurfing package.

John

Menehune
09-29-2008, 20:53
Several motorcycle gusys have picked up the small "mini" units, for use on the road. Takes up minimal space and is good for uploading trip pics and updating adventure rides.

IndyGunFreak
09-30-2008, 00:31
Yes to ripped files from DVDs. I read the earlier ones sometimes played the video and sound out of sync. Not enough horsepower I think.

If it works. I would have a nice light portable movie player and websurfing package.

John

Mine should be here Thur, I'll let you know. I've probably got about 30 movies that are DVD rips.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
09-30-2008, 15:50
Well, I got a pleasant surprise this morning.. :).. I love TigerDirect.

First the negatives--
1. The keyboard is small.. I personally think they'd have been better served by making the keyboard bigger, and using a point stick to move the cursor. Admittedly, I hate touchpads, but the keyboard could be another 2in bigger w/o it. No big deal, as its just for some surfing, etc.. so I'll be making a lot of use of bookmarks. I'll definitely be using this w/ a mouse.

2. The OS.. Im as big a Linux/Debian tramp as anybody, and I found this version of Xandros pretty clunky and poorly designed. The "control panel" GUI didn't suit me at all, so I disabled it, only to find the one thing I hate about Linux, KDE. Needless to say, I knew I wasn't gonna be using this for long. Oddly, it does come w/ a restore CD, despite the fact it has no CD drive. :) There was however, a good selection of installed programs, but the repositories were fairly bare, but I think its compatible w/ Debian Etch repos, so you should be able to add some repos and find plenty of software.

Those are my only two issues... Neither of which are a deal breaker for me.

Now the positives....

1. Installing Ubuntu-eee from a thumb drive was a cakewalk Recognized all the hardware, etc (obviously, it was made for this pc). Only thing I really had to set up, was my wireless connection, which took all of about 20sec. Note for anyone who wants to go this route, there's two different projects for this.. ubuntu-eee, and eee-ubuntu. While the name is similar, they are quite different. eee-ubuntu requires several scripts to be ran after install, to get everything working... ubuntu-eee, as best I can tell, everything works out of the box

2. Ubuntu-eee had that silly "control panel" GUI also(I think its called NBR), so I did some googling, got it disabled, and now have a normal gnome desktop, which Im used to.

3. It comes w/ an "eee" repository enabled, and Ubuntu Hardy multiverse/universe can be enabled w/ a couple clicks. This will give you access to plenty of programs.

4. After removing about 3-4 programs I have little use for, and instaling about 5-6 I wanted, I have about 13gigs left on a 16gig drive.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
09-30-2008, 15:52

John

I've got mostly high quality rips, and played a couple of them, and they all seemed to play on the eee just as well as they play on my desktop and my big laptop.

ldcarson
09-30-2008, 16:57
Welcome to theclub. I love my 702. Grabbed a 16gb ssd card to add to it. Running windows XP on mine. Take it everywhere..

DragonRider
09-30-2008, 22:03
Thanks! I may get one in a month or so then before I have some trips. Right now I'm deciding between the Dell and this, with an edge to this due to the higher memory.

John

Doog
10-01-2008, 01:03
I am typing from my 901, similar to the 900, except newer processor Intel Atom 1.6 and better battery life. I get around 6 hours on a full charge using the internet with my USB cellular modem. These things are great.

jwb
10-03-2008, 09:19
I was in Target yesterday and noticed they have them...$299?

Got an earlier version off eBay several months ago and found it useful in a number of ways I had not expected. I found the range of wireless quite good and could remain connected even over at my neighbor's home. While speakers not great, could listen to internet radio while working outdoors.

Anyone see/have one of those little Dells yet?

IndyGunFreak
10-04-2008, 09:31
I was in Target yesterday and noticed they have them...$299?

Got an earlier version off eBay several months ago and found it useful in a number of ways I had not expected. I found the range of wireless quite good and could remain connected even over at my neighbor's home. While speakers not great, could listen to internet radio while working outdoors.

Anyone see/have one of those little Dells yet?

Thats for the 701, but thats not a bad price...

http://www.target.com/ASUS-Ultra-Portable-Notebook-Computer/dp/B001EXE5LM/ref=sc_ri_1/601-8556235-0827316

d3athp3nguin
10-04-2008, 10:46

http://www.target.com/ASUS-Ultra-Portable-Notebook-Computer/dp/B001EXE5LM/ref=sc_ri_1/601-8556235-0827316

They made waay too many versions of the eeePC. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't play mix-and-match with the names and hardware layouts.
700...701...900...900A...901...904HD...1000HD...1000H...1000...

I like choice, but jeebus christmas...

The Pontificator
10-04-2008, 11:01

Newegg now has the original 701's for $249.

I probably would have bought one save the 7" screen. sorry, but that's just too damn small.

jwb
10-04-2008, 17:16
The Target ones had the 9" screen as I compared it to my 701 which was in my bag.

Have hooked mine to a USB turntable and portable HD to convert LPs to digital format.

Did some writing while sitting in my ground blind today.

Useful little bugger ;o)

The Pontificator
10-04-2008, 17:41
I have been using my aspire one all eve to download music. I am out on the porch with a cigar and some German Pils beer.

Good times.