I hate Windows XP! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I hate Windows XP!

cassandra
09-28-2008, 08:27
The tech where I work got me in the habit of manually clearing out all my cookies and temp files. It's easy because there I have Windows 2000 Pro and can find them in my documents and setting folder.

So I'm trying to do the same thing at home where I've (supposedly) got XP Pro on my PC and XP Home on my laptop. I can't tell the difference between them even though I paid $100 for the Pro for my Dell PC. I can't find any cookies folder and not the same kind of temp internet files folder either. Even my Internet Explorer doesn't seem to have a delete cookies function like the older versions did.

So I found the "show hidden folders" function and still couldn't find cookies. What is up with this?

I deleted cookies using Firefox but does that help with all cookies or just Firefox-related files? Lots of things are running slow, Wordpress edits not saving and I'm wondering if it's a cache problem of some sort.

Is Vista any better or does it also treat the user like a moron? I'm beginning to miss good ol' DOS.

d3athp3nguin
09-28-2008, 08:41
The typical way to delete temporary files & cookies in XP:

-In the taskbar, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. After a bit, it will give you a bunch of checkboxes for things to clean up.

-From there, you can check whatever you want to "purge." I would recommend you NOT select the option "Compress old files." It doesn't help that much, and could make more problems than it would solve. Everything else is fair game.

NEXT... defrag your hard drive. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. When it loads, select the C: drive and click "defragment." Now go watch some tv, eat dinner etc because it will probably take a while, and it will make your computer slow as molassas while running. There is no harm in cancelling if need be though.

There is a way to delete cookies within Internet Explorer, but it changes depending on the version you have and the above method lets you clean out other stuff too. Unless you're pressed for space, you shouldn't have to clean temporary stuff very often. I can understand doing it a lot for privacy issues though.

In the latest version of Firefox, you can select Tools > Clear Private Data...
That lets you delete all Firefox stuff.

corpseal
09-28-2008, 09:28
I suggest you google "CCcleaner"- download it, install and run it. You can thank me later.

cassandra
09-28-2008, 09:37
The typical way to delete temporary files & cookies in XP:

-In the taskbar, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. After a bit, it will give you a bunch of checkboxes for things to clean up.

-From there, you can check whatever you want to "purge." I would recommend you NOT select the option "Compress old files." It doesn't help that much, and could make more problems than it would solve. Everything else is fair game.

THanks for reminding me what I left out. My Accessories folder has NO System Tools! :dunno:

cassandra
09-28-2008, 09:38
I suggest you google "CCcleaner"- download it, install and run it. You can thank me later.

Ya know, I realize these downloads exist. But I really would like to know where things are and how to do it myself the way I can at work. I don't understand why XP has to make this so hard.

Is it just more of Bill Gates' oversteering?

d3athp3nguin
09-28-2008, 10:02
THanks for reminding me what I left out. My Accessories folder has NO System Tools! :dunno:

Hmm...

Were you the one who set up your accounts originally in XP? If you aren't running as an "administrator," you might not be able to access the system tools.

Big Al 24
09-28-2008, 11:42
Download Glary Utilities. It's a great, free program that does a bunch of house cleaning for you. I would stick with Firefox when you can and make sure it's set up to clean house when you're done surfing- Go to Tools > Options > Privacy tab > then check "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox"

Oh yeah (DUH) here's the link to Glary Utilities: http://www.glarysoft.com/gu.html

wbgolden
09-28-2008, 11:42
get your system tools folder back. go here and do what it says:

http://www.securelab.com/content/systool.html

:embarassed:

cassandra
09-28-2008, 14:19

sorry, I went back to edit to say i found it. Swear I couldn't find sys tools several times before, like it comes and goes.

I don't see that post now. I just wish I could look at the entire file tree and just take care of things myself. I've always hated the "my documents" and "my this" and "my that" business too, esp since you have go to folder mode and back up to C and start over just to see where things really are..but that's Windows for ya.

Need to vent, obviously...

:steamed:

Tinamil
09-28-2008, 14:38
sorry, I went back to edit to say i found it. Swear I couldn't find sys tools several times before, like it comes and goes.

I don't see that post now. I just wish I could look at the entire file tree and just take care of things myself. I've always hated the "my documents" and "my this" and "my that" business too, esp since you have go to folder mode and back up to C and start over just to see where things really are..but that's Windows for ya.

Need to vent, obviously...

:steamed:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

That's the default location for Internet Explorer cookies if you want to find them in a directory structure.

IndyGunFreak
09-28-2008, 15:14
Embrace your inner penguin... :)

IGF

RevDerb
09-28-2008, 17:26
Is Vista any better or does it also treat the user like a moron? I'm beginning to miss good ol' DOS.

If you hate XP, you will absolutely DESPISE Vista!

Tennessee Slim
09-28-2008, 18:03
...Is Vista any better or does it also treat the user like a moron? I'm beginning to miss good ol' DOS.
Not just a moron but also a thief and an illegal alien.

I hate to sound like a Leenuks pimp but if you liked DOS and were comfortable with command line stuff, you might want to give one of the *NIX OSs a whirl. Even MACs are built on Darwin UNIX.

Notrega
09-28-2008, 20:08

+1000000 on that...

Thirties
09-29-2008, 07:29
In your control panel, click on "Internet Options" to clear cookies & cache from Internet Explorer. In Firefox, you use the "tools" pull-down and choose "Options".

Computers require constant learning by the user. They are not electric toasters, unfortunately.

silentpoet
09-29-2008, 07:30
www.mozilla.org

With firefox you can pick and choose which cookies to delete. Not to mention less security holes than the piece of **** Microsoft calls a browser.

Toyman
09-29-2008, 09:04
So you couldn't just Google "windows xp cookies folder" and click on the first search result?

http://www.milincorporated.com/a_cookies.html#ch2

cassandra
09-30-2008, 18:30

I downloaded this, and now I get systool opening up in startup. When I tried to take it out using msconfig, I get a message saying someone screwed with msconfig! It wouldn't go away until I put it back in.

:crying:

grokdesigns
09-30-2008, 19:55
I second this. I run CCleaner on every Windows computer I have, as well as keeping the portable version on my USB drive.

JMag
09-30-2008, 20:40

Yep, beat me to it! It's free!

azg2340
09-30-2008, 20:45
Go to "Tools/Internet options/General Tab"

there are options for deleting cookies and temp. files there.

couldn't be easier............

Toyman
10-01-2008, 04:13
I downloaded this, and now I get systool opening up in startup. When I tried to take it out using msconfig, I get a message saying someone screwed with msconfig! It wouldn't go away until I put it back in.

:crying:

Read the little dialog box, there's a checkbox that says something like "Don't show this on startup". It's just a reminder that you disabled the startup item.

If it's in the start menu startup folder, simply drag it somewhere else.

FastDraw McGraw
10-01-2008, 07:18
If you hate XP, you will absolutely DESPISE Vista!

There is some truth to this...... I have XP on my laptop..... and Vista on my desktop.... I prefer XP.........:wavey:

HerrGlock
10-01-2008, 07:55
Step One: Remove all MS products from your computer.

Yeah, I'm a *NIX guy and this is exactly why I appreciate it so much.

Drjones
10-01-2008, 11:28
The tech where I work got me in the habit of manually clearing out all my cookies and temp files. It's easy because there I have Windows 2000 Pro and can find them in my documents and setting folder.

So I'm trying to do the same thing at home where I've (supposedly) got XP Pro on my PC and XP Home on my laptop. I can't tell the difference between them even though I paid $100 for the Pro for my Dell PC. I can't find any cookies folder and not the same kind of temp internet files folder either. Even my Internet Explorer doesn't seem to have a delete cookies function like the older versions did.

So I found the "show hidden folders" function and still couldn't find cookies. What is up with this?

I deleted cookies using Firefox but does that help with all cookies or just Firefox-related files? Lots of things are running slow, Wordpress edits not saving and I'm wondering if it's a cache problem of some sort.

Just because you don't know how to use, it doesn't mean it's a bad product. ;)

Download and use this - It works great to cleanout not only cookies, and all sorts of temporary files, but a ton of other crap as well.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Gimp
10-01-2008, 13:46
Join the club. My Xp Presario ran so slow that I usually had to go through the start-up and sign-on procedure, go start the coffee, do the normal shower&shave routine, go back and visit the kitchen and pick up my first cup, then come back and sit going through any papers left over from last night before my computer was ready to start work! Worst computer investment I ever made...and if it weren't for the fact that Xp was integrated into the main-board recovery disc, I would cheerfully have rolled the thing back to WinMe (what does THAT tell you?!) The thing was incapable of multitasking beyond having a Word document and a webpage open at once, and if the antivirus scan started up...kiss the day goodbye!

This, mind you, was with a 1.8 Ghz processor and a gig of SDRAM!!

When my finance counsellor at college told me that my excess grant money could only be spent for educational expenses, and mentioned "that could include, like, a new laptop or something?" I could'a kissed her! New Toshiba Satellite running Vista, and I feel like the Enterprise doesn't have computer capabilities to match mine!

XP? That's like ordering a Walther and getting a FEG!

solomansousana
10-03-2008, 13:42
Why don't you simply right click on the IE icon on the desktop, then click on delete, then click on delete all?

That will delete all cookies, downloaded data, password data etc.... Takes you 30 sec at most.

If comp runs slow, try defragging the drive. You can also adjust the space thats allotted for temp folders. I keep mine at 100mb instead of the windows default of 500. Also, you can reset the amount of space thats held for the trash can.

xephael
10-03-2008, 19:03

Vista treats you like a complete moron... I recommend downloading and installing Ubuntu. You can even boot off the CD/DVD if you want.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.ubuntu.com/themes/ubuntu07/images/ubuntulogo.png

cassandra
10-03-2008, 19:26
+1000000 on that...

see below about CC Cleaner. guess I thought I had to pay to get anything out of it.

I just wish I could hunt down all folders or DIRECTORIES dammit, and clean them out myself.

cassandra
10-03-2008, 19:27
Yep, beat me to it! It's free!

It tried to charge me $30. It found all kinds of problems, but when I declined to buy, it fixed one. Sheesh. :upeyes:

cassandra
10-03-2008, 19:41
So you couldn't just Google "windows xp cookies folder" and click on the first search result?

http://www.milincorporated.com/a_cookies.html#ch2

Yeah. I know where to look. It's not there. When I google I find out I'm not the only one who has this problem.

KharToon
10-04-2008, 06:44
Step One: Remove all MS products from your computer.

Yeah, I'm a *NIX guy and this is exactly why I appreciate it so much.

with all due respect, try using a linux box day in and day out for desktop and home office use. Just not practical. Have tried all the different flavors and none of them, not even red hat, can create as good a user experience as WIndows.

IndyGunFreak
10-04-2008, 07:06
with all due respect, try using a linux box day in and day out for desktop and home office use. Just not practical. Have tried all the different flavors and none of them, not even red hat, can create as good a user experience as WIndows.

Uh, I've used only Linux for almost 4yrs and would challenge you to find something I can't do. Redhat sucks, so its no shock you didn't like it. Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS lead the pack for general, easy to use, home use. Personally, I like Ubuntu for newbies, and it taught me a lot, then I moved on to Debian Yes, it takes a bit more work... if you want to buy some hardware(say, a printer or soundcard, etc.) you have to do some research and make sure what you're getting, works properly w/ Linux. Since I build my own PCs, I don't have a problem with that. When I wanted to buy a laptop, I Googled some models that showed good compatibility with Linux... narrowed down what I wanted by price, and got a laptop I'm quite happy with, that works perfectly with Linux.

Requires a bit of legwork, but I've not had a spyware, virus, blue screen of death problem in oh... 4yrs.. :)

IGF

KharToon
10-04-2008, 07:53
Uh, I've used only Linux for almost 4yrs and would challenge you to find something I can't do. Redhat sucks, so its no shock you didn't like it. Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS lead the pack for general, easy to use, home use. Personally, I like Ubuntu for newbies, and it taught me a lot, then I moved on to Debian Yes, it takes a bit more work... if you want to buy some hardware(say, a printer or soundcard, etc.) you have to do some research and make sure what you're getting, works properly w/ Linux. Since I build my own PCs, I don't have a problem with that. When I wanted to buy a laptop, I Googled some models that showed good compatibility with Linux... narrowed down what I wanted by price, and got a laptop I'm quite happy with, that works perfectly with Linux.

Requires a bit of legwork, but I've not had a spyware, virus, blue screen of death problem in oh... 4yrs.. :)

IGF

You hit the nail on the head, it takes more research, work and troubleshooting and for an average "windows" user, just isn't practical. It all comes down to the users abilities, willingness to learn and ultimately, personal preference. I work in a corporate IT environment and it just is not practical from a collaborative perspective. A lot of our back end is Unix (HPUX) and RHEL and there is no doubt there is value and stability there. IMO, behind the scenes is where it needs to stay in a corporate setting anyway.

IndyGunFreak
10-04-2008, 09:06
You hit the nail on the head, it takes more research, work and troubleshooting and for an average "windows" user, just isn't practical. It all comes down to the users abilities, willingness to learn and ultimately, personal preference. I work in a corporate IT environment and it just is not practical from a collaborative perspective. A lot of our back end is Unix (HPUX) and RHEL and there is no doubt there is value and stability there. IMO, behind the scenes is where it needs to stay in a corporate setting anyway.

Just because it requires a bit more work, doesn't mean it isn't practical. It may not be "easy", but its certainly practical. Most of us have been spoonfed Windows since we were 9yrs old, so its easy to us... if we'd been spoonfed Linux that long, it'd be easy to us also. Linux isn't hard at all, its just not Windows.

IGF

KharToon
10-04-2008, 15:29
Vista treats you like a complete moron... I recommend downloading and installing Ubuntu. You can even boot off the CD/DVD if you want.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.ubuntu.com/themes/ubuntu07/images/ubuntulogo.png

You recommend UBUNTU to someone who can't remove malware on an XP box? That is like prescribing oxycontin for a sliver... :whistling:

KharToon
10-04-2008, 15:33
OP.... download and run "hijack this!" and then cut and paste the results in a post here. This is a free tool that will tell you what, if anything is left on your PC that needs to be removed. I will help analyze the results and assist in removal as well. There is no need to pay for any of these third party apps. Most of them are a rip off.

Also, the fact that there are missing menu items and /or folders smacks of malware.

xephael
10-04-2008, 15:54
You recommend UBUNTU to someone who can't remove malware on an XP box? That is like prescribing oxycontin for a sliver... :whistling:

Once your computer is infected with Malware/Spyware the only true solution to correcting the problem is to reinstall the operating system.

The Pontificator
10-04-2008, 18:56
Embrace your inner penguin... :)

IGF

or your inner love for Apples. :wavey:

IndyGunFreak
10-05-2008, 05:44
or your inner love for Apples. :wavey:

Thats always an option to...:)

IGF

KharToon
10-05-2008, 06:26
Once your computer is infected with Malware/Spyware the only true solution to correcting the problem is to reinstall the operating system.

That is like replacing a tire that has a nail in it... I would have to disagree.With the right tools and knowledge any malware can be removed.

Arc Angel
10-05-2008, 07:43
:) Me thinks the OP is too resistant to change! (It's OK; I'm the same way too.) The only thing that works better than CCleaner is Webroot's, 'Window Washer'; and it's NOT free shareware. You're just wasting your time fooling around with individual sub-directories. You can't possibly cleanup your computer better than either Window Washer or CCleaner can - Can't possibly!

In addition to cookies, you've also got the add-on Active X controls to think about. Lots of these little programs can take away direct control of your computer from you. You'll find them in Internet Options/Programs/Manage Add-Ons. Got 'a know what you're doing though. Some you need; and some you can delete. Happily, many of the ones you use regularly will reinstall themselves the next time a program calls for them.

The temp file locations you are concerned about really haven't changed all that much. The Windows temp directory is still there; and, at least one other temp directory has been added under: Hard Drive C\Documents And Settings\Local Service\Local Settings ....

XP is a BIG operating system! I know it's hard to do; but, I suggest you forget about trying to micro manage your computer and let really useful utilities like: CCleaner, Window Washer, and Defraggler do the work for you.

The other thing you're going to have to watch out for is cookies that are stored OFF-LINE! The only way to clean these - sometimes annoying - little buggers up is to access them through: Internet Options\Delete\Delete All\Delete Browsing History\Also Delete Files And Settings Stored By Add-Ons. (Which can mean, 'Off-Line'!)

If you really want to keep your computer clean checkout Webroot's, 'Spy Sweeper' program. Again, not free, but very useful. (Has saved me from picking up, 'hitchhikers' many a time!) ;)

cassandra
10-05-2008, 08:16
:) Me thinks the OP is too resistant to change! (It's OK; I'm the same way too.) The only thing that works better than CCleaner is Webroot's, 'Window Washer'; and it's NOT free shareware. You're just wasting your time fooling around with individual sub-directories. You can't possibly cleanup your computer better than either Window Washer or CCleaner can - Can't possibly!

;)

Thanks for the direct answer. Is Windows XP really so big that files and folders must be hidden from the user? As I said in my OP, I am just doing what a tech was showing me at work, though that was for W2K. It does seem to help the machine run faster. I do know that's not all there is to it.

Do you recommend I pay for CCCleaner? The "free" download seemed not to do anything when I declined.

Tinamil
10-05-2008, 08:18
Thanks for the direct answer. Is Windows XP really so big that files and folders must be hidden from the user? As I said in my OP, I am just doing what a tech was showing me at work, though that was for W2K. It does seem to help the machine run faster. I do know that's not all there is to it.

Do you recommend I pay for CCCleaner? The "free" download seemed not to do anything when I declined.

It's free and there is no paid version. If someone tries to sell you a paid version, they are scamming you.

TangoFoxtrot
10-05-2008, 08:52

It beats Vista! For now anyway.

xephael
10-05-2008, 09:02
That is like replacing a tire that has a nail in it... I would have to disagree.With the right tools and knowledge any malware can be removed.

:faint:Most of the folks that have the tools and knowledge would laugh at your proposal. The number of DLL's, registry settings and files that would need to be inspected and verified far exceeds the scope of any software's ability. The amount of time it would take to do it manually with the assistance of software also far exceeds the time it would take to rebuild the system from scratch.

Your ideas violate a number of security best practices as well. You should save your delusions of in depth forensic analysis for the movies.

Arc Angel
10-05-2008, 09:21

I think hiding the operating files started as a way to stop users from screwing up their own computers. Things that will help XP run faster: (Ready?)

1. Use the run command to get rid of your prefetch files. Open, 'Run'. Type, 'prefetch' on the command line. Now delete everything that is shown! Do this once a month.

2. If you use Norton products, find alternatives. I picked up between 15 and 20 percent in program speed when I got rid of NAV and Internet Security.

3. Defrag, at least, once a week.

4. I'm NOT going to tell you to read and edit your registry; I know how; (It was a painful learning process!) :freak: and I have picked up time and saved all sorts of delays by knowing which registry lines to edit or get rid of.

5. Clean your drive twice a day.

6. Watch your use of graphics and pictures. Don't clutter up your desktop with a lot of old or unnecessary crap, and keep your screen savers simple.

7. Don't keep more than 2 or 3 programs open at the same time.

8. If you have the option and can afford it, install more RAM!

Should you pay for Piriform products? I can't answer that for someone else. They're good well written programs though; and, whoever offers them has freed many of us from the genuinely high cost of other utility programs. I've yet to try a Piriform product that isn't fast, doesn't really work, or isn't 100% reliable.

However, Webroot products are generally better because they're considerably more thorough; but, they're also slower; the results are more tedious to read; and the interfaces aren't as consistent or pretty. Consequently I use products from both companies in order to keep my own computer clean and up to speed. So far, so good! :cool:

Dandapani
10-05-2008, 16:36

Sgt. Schultz
10-05-2008, 18:08
1. Use the run command to get rid of your prefetch files. Open, 'Run'. Type, 'prefetch' on the command line. Now delete everything that is shown! Do this once a month. I had many discussions about this and yes I know that there are many “tech” sites that suggest this tip to speed up Windows … however you will NOT improve Windows performance by cleaning out the Prefetch folder. In fact you may even degrade Windows performance, besides Windows will just re-create that data anyways possibly causing a hit to your computers performance. As I’ve said I have seen many sites that offer this tip but nobody has yet to provide single piece of actual performance testing.

3. Defrag, at least, once a week. Unless you copy, move, delete many MB’s of large files or install/uninstall software with some frequency this is over kill, once a month is more than adequate.

4. I'm NOT going to tell you to read and edit your registry As well you shouldn’t!

5. Clean your drive twice a day. Over kill again, once a month is more than adequate.

6. Watch your use of graphics and pictures. Don't clutter up your desktop with a lot of old or unnecessary crap, and keep your screen savers simple. If he’s on a network using roaming profiles okay but in a home installation, you won't see a reduction in system performance with a full desktop … disagree, try putting a 4 GB file on your desktop and then check your system resources.

Why even use a screen saver? They are unnecessary and they use system resources, changing the visual effects of the desktop can help performance.

7. Don't keep more than 2 or 3 programs open at the same time. This really depends on his system configuration.

8. If you have the option and can afford it, install more RAM This is the first thing you said that makes sense.

Arc Angel
10-05-2008, 18:18
:) Sergeant, you left out only one thing: You should have prefaced each of your comments with the phrase; 'In my opinion'.

Other than that .... Glad I made your day. :supergrin:

(Oh, yeah, on at least one of your points you're entirely incorrect.) ;)

Sgt. Schultz
10-05-2008, 18:43
:) Sergeant, you left out only one thing: You should have prefaced each of your comments with the phrase; 'In my opinion'. As you should have … these are your opinions of how to make a computer run faster. I just hate to see people give advice than can get users in more trouble than when they started. :supergrin:

(Oh, yeah, on at least one of your points you're entirely incorrect.) ;) Enlighten me.

cassandra
10-05-2008, 18:49

It's free and there is no paid version. If someone tries to sell you a paid version, they are scamming you.

Ok I'll try it again from that site. Someone said google for it and I got hit up for $30.

UPDATE: Ok what I had installed was RegClean - sheesh! So anyway I downloaded CCCleaner this time and ran it. It found some nasty temp files with like 200-char names. What on earth is that stuff anyway...THANKS guys!

Big Al 24
10-05-2008, 18:55
Try Glary Utilities, it's free, safe, and it does what you want....

http://www.glaryutilities.com/

Arc Angel
10-05-2008, 21:51
As you should have … these are your opinions of how to make a computer run faster. I just hate to see people give advice than can get users in more trouble than when they started. :supergrin:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the advice I offered. If you don't like some of it, fine, that's your prerogative. It wasn't necessary to start an argument. You could have voiced your opinion and left it at that.

Enlighten me.

Hey, like I was born yesterday? That's the last thing I would do for someone who already has all the answers. You figure it out. ;)

Sgt. Schultz
10-06-2008, 06:50
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the advice I offered. If you don't like some of it, fine, that's your prerogative. It wasn't necessary to start an argument. You could have voiced your opinion and left it at that. As you stated I just voiced my opinion of YOUR opinions and you could have left it at that.

Hey, like I was born yesterday? That's the last thing I would do for someone who already has all the answers. You figure it out. ;) If I’m wrong then correct me so I and others on this board can learn from my mistake, then I will apologize and move on ... or are you one of those armchair techie’s dispensing advice but can’t back it up with fact.

BTW, of my replies only 1 and 6 (excluding screen savers) were NOT opinions of your opinions and anyone that can use Google can attest to that.

cassandra
10-07-2008, 15:09
WELL I installed CCleaner all around including at work..it still does not get rid of these weird files in user temp internet files under Content.IES. There are 8 folders there with names like SLCUEKOHGY and files that look like long file names & queries from sites like Slate.
Like - flex;dir=business;dir=flex;ad=ss;ad=hp;ad=bb;sz=100x160,360x850,300x250, blahblahblah and on for about 170 characters.

The file type is not identified but obviously they're downloaded ads.

I can't delete them, can't delete the folders they're in. They're just impervious. No big deal but I hate having this crap on my PC.

My laptop also has some weird things like folders within folders with names like JDKCISLKFHCNJSODKWJ You open it up and there's another one inside named NKSJCMLOIWYUFJVCS.

What is this stuff???

Big Al 24
10-09-2008, 19:17
WELL I installed CCleaner all around including at work..it still does not get rid of these weird files in user temp internet files under Content.IES. There are 8 folders there with names like SLCUEKOHGY and files that look like long file names & queries from sites like Slate.
Like - flex;dir=business;dir=flex;ad=ss;ad=hp;ad=bb;sz=100x160,360x850,300x250, blahblahblah and on for about 170 characters.

The file type is not identified but obviously they're downloaded ads.

I can't delete them, can't delete the folders they're in. They're just impervious. No big deal but I hate having this crap on my PC.

My laptop also has some weird things like folders within folders with names like JDKCISLKFHCNJSODKWJ You open it up and there's another one inside named NKSJCMLOIWYUFJVCS.

What is this stuff???

I believe those are MS software updates that have been downloaded and installed...You may want to keep them.

dotsun
10-09-2008, 20:57
:faint:Most of the folks that have the tools and knowledge would laugh at your proposal. The number of DLL's, registry settings and files that would need to be inspected and verified far exceeds the scope of any software's ability. The amount of time it would take to do it manually with the assistance of software also far exceeds the time it would take to rebuild the system from scratch.

Your ideas violate a number of security best practices as well. You should save your delusions of in depth forensic analysis for the movies.

+1000, this poor guy's thread has been going for almost 2 weeks. I shudder to think at how many times the drive could be formatted and OS reinstalled in that amount of time. With the added piece of mind that there is no doubt that any and all malware is toast.

Nuke it from orbit yesterday and get on with life.

Glock_Wenc_21
10-09-2008, 21:24
Should have gotten Windows Mojave LOL

Big Al 24
10-09-2008, 22:13
+1000, this poor guy's thread has been going for almost 2 weeks. I shudder to think at how many times the drive could be formatted and OS reinstalled in that amount of time. With the added piece of mind that there is no doubt that any and all malware is toast.

Nuke it from orbit yesterday and get on with life.

People without backups and images truly fear the reinstall...

IndyGunFreak
10-10-2008, 04:56
People without backups and images truly fear the reinstall...

Which is a different problem entirely. The first time I had a OS failure, I had absolutely no backup, and spent a fair amount of time getting data back, etc. Learned my lesson then.. Back then, I bought a zip drive w/ a couple of 100mb disks.. That lasted a little while, then moved on to Burning DVD RW's, then got to where I'm at now, w/ external drives(gradually moving up from 80gig, to 160gig, to 500gig).

I rarely do a "system" backup... I just backup important files, etc. If I downloaded a program, I'd save the .exe, etc.

Tough world when you don't take simple precautions against the stuff out there..

IGF

Rager
10-13-2008, 08:26
My 2˘ ...

I've got a three year old Dell- desktop- Dimension 4600- XP Home. It has the slowest hyper-thread Intel- 2.8 Ghz. The only upgrade I've done is I have 3GB of ram in it! Get as much ram in a windows machine as you can afford.

Google - services - http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm is a great site for figuring out what can be shut off in XP. Probably the first guy to figure out XP and easily the most copied. He shut his site down a coupla years back because cretins were lifting complete pages of his tips.

I don't worry too much about viruses, I'm the only user on my machine. I use an AV but it's manual, not full time/ or real time. (I wouldn't ever use Norton av, or whoever it's called now. It's been described as like installing another OS inside your os. One should also be aware of root kit exploits.

mitchshrader
10-13-2008, 08:55
reinstall XP, just for drill. run XenTweak IMMEDIATELY. don't guess, but remove all functions (or block them) you don't want to keep.

you can set it to delete all cookies on reboot, block Active X, block/disable Flash, Javascript, messenger service, etc. Blackviper is good but has a bit more learning curve, Xentweak is DEAD EASY, if you'll remember 'don't guess' .. either know why you do something or don't do it.

FWIW I'm running 4 Win2k boxen and one XP pro, far from stock installs, and with considerable effort you can get XP performance back up to Win2K levels..

lots of ram isn't wrong, regular defrags aren't wrong, keeping drives under 2/3 full helps, but disabling all the CRAP is biggest.

it's also nice to keep the page file (virtual memory) on a drive NOT the same as the physical C drive.. (another drive entirely)

in Win2k (PATA drive) you'll need to choose a master drive to do this, of which there is only one possible slot BESIDES the drive containing 'C'. If you don't own one, buy it.

This applies to XP as well if you're not using SATA, and gets tricky if you're using both PATA & SATA drives in the same box. various motherboards and bios' offer varying degrees of support for mixing drives, and various limits on drive sizes. Too many options to mention them all, suffice it to say it matters.

BIG HINT: every single number matters. Motherboard model AND REVISION number, bios revision, drive size, partition size, virtual memory size, ram speed, clock speed ( if unlocked processor) ..

knowing how to do it is 8x as easy as teaching someone. it SUCKS to try to bring someone up to speed who really isn't very interested in the details.