Who makes the Hardest Hitting Air Rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the Hardest Hitting Air Rifle

mossy500camo
09-29-2008, 22:54
Who out there makes the hardest hitting air rifle in .177 or .22 cal. At a reasonable price ofcourse. It doesnt matter if its a pump, break open or psp, co2.

JimBianchi
09-29-2008, 23:44
Who out there makes the hardest hitting air rifle in .177 or .22 cal. At a reasonable price ofcourse. It doesnt matter if its a pump, break open or psp, co2.

The power list is long and expensive. If I was all about the quiet power I would get a 10/22 with a muffler and pay the $200 tax.

Otherwise:
Air Force Condor ,a PCP, has 22LR power. (80 to 100FPE)

CO2, you've got to get a tuned QB78D by Mike Melick. Mine will do 18FPE and can be tuned to 20FPE. (.22Cal pellet doing 750+FPS)

Pumper, Skyler M makes a Power Stroke Pnematic pumper that will do 30FPE! Increadible power for a tuned pumper! (Google it)

In Break Barrel, RWS 350, side cocker RWS 54, Under lever RWS 460. All will touch the 20 to 25FPE power range in .22. All are sweet, quiet, clean shooters out of the box.

Remember it only takes about 4FPE in the head to kill a pigeon and about 8 to 10 as a side shot.

mossy500camo
09-30-2008, 08:23
Wow! Thanks for the info. I have a Gamo Shadow 1000 .177 cal that I have had for two or three years. I broke it out this past sunday and playing around with it in the backyard. I have a Large Pear tree that have alot of large pears in the top of it. So..... I took the obligation of taking a few out so to speak. =-) I was amazed at the power of the Break open rifle. I have never really shot anything other than paper and cans and a few Squrriels (spell check) But I was truely amazed with the power that the Gamo presented me just blowing away the LARGE pears. I was just curious how others would compare. In the good old days an air rifle would go in and stop. but the Gamo blew them away. WOW! I watched a few youtube videos and saw some interesting rifles.

JLB768
09-30-2008, 15:19
You outta check out some of the Theoben air rifles, but they aint cheap.

Tennessee Slim
09-30-2008, 19:25
www.straightshooters.com has great airgun information but their prices are dated.

My .20 Beeman Goldfinger chronos @745.5 fps shooting a 11.7 gr Beeman Ramjet pellet (14.44 foot-lbs ME). It also patterns around 1/2" @ 25 yards. Not too shabby for a top break. That and spring guns tend not to get along with a bench rest.

I've one-shot-dropped rabbits at 40 yards with it and it'll kill starlings from as far as I can hit 'em.

www.beeman.com
www.theoben.co.uk
www.dianaairguns.com
www.airforceairguns.com
www.pspairguns.com

mossy500camo
09-30-2008, 21:46
Slim, What do you think about the .177 cal Heavy pellets. 8.0 grs and above. I am interested in the Psb Exact 10.3 grs Dome pellets. Or the Diablo. Do you think heavier pellets are better or more accurate. Thanks for any info.

Tennessee Slim
10-01-2008, 01:07
The speed of sound is the enemy of all bullets. It screws with accuracy with the best of streamlined boattailed bullets. Wasp-waisted, blunt nosed pellets don't stand a chance.

So if you've got a magnum-powered .177 airgun, you probably want to shoot a heavy pellet to keep you far, far away from Jimmy Buffet's evil brother, Mach. If your springer produces 20# ME, you'll be going supersonic (@STP) with anything lighter than 7.7 grains. If you want to give Herr Mach a respectful margin, a 9 grain pellet @20 fpe produces about 1000 fps. The same rifle would push your 10.2 grain Diabolos to ~940 fps. That's enough zing to put the smack-down on most birds and small varmints, plus there's no chance of interference from Mach buffet.

So the short answer is yes, if you've got a sufficiently powerful airgun, it's essential you shoot heavy enough a pellet that it'll remain subsonic. And that particular pellet seems to have very good reviews (http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/pellet.pl?pellet_id=388).

All this ignores the question of whether kinetic energy or momentum is more important to killing power, which is a whole nuther flame war all its own. :whistling:

JimBianchi
10-01-2008, 01:40
The speed of sound is the enemy of all bullets. It screws with accuracy with the best of streamlined boattailed bullets. Wasp-waisted, blunt nosed pellets don't stand a chance.

So if you've got a magnum-powered .177 airgun, you probably want to shoot a heavy pellet to keep you far, far away from Jimmy Buffet's evil brother, Mach. If your springer produces 20# ME, you'll be going supersonic (@STP) with anything lighter than 7.7 grains. If you want to give Herr Mach a respectful margin, a 9 grain pellet @20 fpe produces about 1000 fps. The same rifle would push your 10.2 grain Diabolos to ~940 fps. That's enough zing to put the smack-down on most birds and small varmints, plus there's no chance of interference from Mach buffet.

So the short answer is yes, if you've got a sufficiently powerful airgun, it's essential you shoot heavy enough a pellet that it'll remain subsonic. And that particular pellet seems to have very good reviews (http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/pellet.pl?pellet_id=388).

All this ignores the question of whether kinetic energy or momentum is more important to killing power, which is a whole nuther flame war all its own. :whistling:

I have an old RWS 45 that will send Crosman Premier 7.9gn pellets super-sonic once a blue moon.

I use the crosman 10.5 pellets to ovoid the problem. And these pellets are very accurate out to 50 yards.

mossy500camo
10-01-2008, 08:11
Hey! Thanks T Slim, Jim for the info. I really do apreciate that.

I did a google search and found that my Gamo Shadow 1000 breaks springs under too much use of too much pellet. Have you guys heard of that before..

mossy500camo
10-01-2008, 09:33
I emailed Gamo about the Heavy pellets and any possible strain that they would have on my air rifle and springs. Here is their response.

*Subject: RE: Shadow 1000 and Heavy pellet question
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:54:52 -0400
Hello,

That pellet size will not put any type of strain on the rifle nor the spring*.

Thank you,

Customer Service

Gamo USA Corp

Phone: 954.581.5822

Hours: M-F 8:30-5:30PM EST

www.myspace.com/gamousa

Email: info@gamousa.com

Tennessee Slim
10-01-2008, 10:54
Okay, squeeze trigger, release spring. Spring mashes air, air drives out pellet.
(http://www.arld1.com/tx200whole.html)
Given that interaction, I should think a heavy pellet would make life easier for the spring because it extends from its compressed position more gradually. Your owner's manual probably has a warning against dryfiring with a skull and crossbones next to it because the lack of resistance causes the innards to beat themselves to death. The difference caused by pellet weight might be very slight but it seems to me a too light pellet would come closer to causing damage than one that's too heavy.

JimBianchi
10-01-2008, 11:03
The heavy pellet strain is a myth.

There are airgunners who shoot 10,000 pellets a year and the springers are fine.

mossy500camo
10-01-2008, 12:16
Cool! Thanks Guys. I really do appreciate your help. So What pellets do you guys prefer.

ps
Thanks for the website. Very interesting.

Tennessee Slim
10-01-2008, 17:34
I only shoot the 11.7 gr Beeman RamJets in my .20. That's known to be the "golden pellet" for the .20 but I can't say it has the same rep in other calibers. My .177s are toys by comparison so I just shoot whatever's handy.

The reviews at pyramid air are a good start for pellet information. Most of the online companies sell ammo "variety packs" with like three different tins of pellets. You might want to give one of them a try.