Cell Phone Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Questions

jboy434
09-30-2008, 18:51
I bought a used phone a while back and i went to activate it and they tell me that I still have to sign a contract. Does this sound right to yall? I thought the whole purpose of signing a contract was so you could get a phone cheap. By the way the company I am trying to get the srevice through is Nextel.

blackbmw
09-30-2008, 19:12
yep, your not signing a contract for the phone, your signing a contract for the service alloted to the phone itself.

dekline
10-01-2008, 12:14
You can get a pay as you go plan.

pupcuss27
10-03-2008, 13:10
You should be given a Free Cell Phone, when you sign up with
a "Contract". They are usually a year or two, also check the minutes policy
and special features like texting etc.

I've had real good service with AT&T Wireless.
They have stores around most communities.

Be Safe!

:thumbsup:

jboy434
10-03-2008, 18:12
Thanks for yalls help. I have had two two year contracts in the past. I just thought that if I bought a phone straight out that it would keep me from having to sin a contract. If you still have to get a contract when you buy a phone why do they advertise a retail price. Who would pay an extra $400 for a phone when they have to sign a contract. The carrier I have used both the times in the past was ntelos, and I have had no problems with them at all. I just finished up a two year contract with them but my phone that I have now has had it. Plus the phones that i want cost an extra 100-200 bucks with a contract.

LippCJ7
10-03-2008, 22:08
Pretty simple here bud, play hardball with them. Call Customer Service and/or goto a storefront and tell them a competitor is willing to give you a phone in order to get your contract and SHOP THEM ALL. You should have no problems getting a new phone with your new contract and I mean NO problem at all. Cell service providers are the ultimate whores in the communications industry, they want all the customers they can get and if that means giving you a phone that costs them $25 to get you into a 2 or 3 year contract they really shouldn't hesitate a second, also the longer the contract you sign the better phone they should give you.

dglockster
10-05-2008, 09:38
Look at https://www.consumercellular.com/ and decide if they offer the cell phone service that you want. my wife and I each have a phone and I think, 500 minutes per month, for a total of $49.95 per month for the both of us.

There are different models of phones and plan levels available.

TangoFoxtrot
10-05-2008, 11:09
This is typical. It could be due to your credit or just BS to get you to commit to their service for a longer period of time. Don't do it. Nextel sucks go with T-Mobile instead.

adroc
10-07-2008, 14:41
"Nextel sucks go with T-Mobile instead."
wut he said..unless you really need walkie talkie feature, go with any provide other than Nextel/Sprint