Basic Communications [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Basic Communications

dekline
10-01-2008, 12:27
I am a partner in a security company thatís in itís second year. We're running into problems with our communications with our posts, and I'm looking for a better solution.

Weíve been using direct-connect phones to send traffic. It works, but it also leaves some things to be desired, especially regarding battery life. I'm looking at 2ways, but all the affordable ones have terrible range. Maybe I'm spoiled on SINGARS. But there has to be a radio system that won't cost five figures. Any security bubbas out there have ideas?

solomansousana
10-03-2008, 13:46
You might look into getting phones with the walkie talkie feature. My brother in law works for a local security company and they use Motorolas similar to the police department along with the hand mics, the company he works for is cheap so they prob didn't pay too much, try looking on Ebay, or military auctions.

LippCJ7
10-03-2008, 21:57
If your total coverage area is more then a typical two way portable can cover(less then a square mile) by itself then you need a repeater. typically the total cost for a repeater and 20 two way radios is between $5000 and $7000 for a good setup including remote mics licensing is about $500, then you need a site to put your repeater which can either be free if you have a place to put it but typically you will place it on a tower to give you better range and that can cost quite a bit AND on a monthly basis. Decent two way radios can be had for around $300 in the 450Mhz range which is probably the more available freq range and is easily licensed. Motorola CP200 portables are a good radio in that price range but I also recommend Kenwoods. Repeaters cost about $2000 to $3000 by themselves but can increase your range dramatically. Sprint/Nextel two way gives you great range in populated areas but falls off quickly once you get out of the city. Feel free to PM me if you need more answers.

creezee
10-06-2008, 16:29
Sounds like youíre a low budget operation if youíre not committing to a decent two-way system, which is pretty standard on guard duty. I used motorollas when I was in security. Iím on another career path now, working from home, we have a virtual phone system called Gotvmail that connects everybody under a single number. If I ever need to reach a coworker, I call the ďofficeĒ number and it forwards to their personal cellphone. I canít imagine itís too expensive, since weíre all using our own phones.