NoVa Basic Pistol Course [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NoVa Basic Pistol Course

USMC_G19
10-01-2008, 17:55
My GF sees the signs and wants to get her CCW before Obama takes the reigns...Problem is the nearest range burned down (Shooters) and I would like to find her someplace nearby if possible. I know the NRA range nearby has classes that run $150, but since she wants me to take it with her that sounds a bit steep. Anyone know of any other places nearby?
And...
I already have my CCW (USMC) and a 19 (which she isnt a fan of :(...) Any recommendations on a pistol she might feel comfortable with? She already shrugged off revolvers and wants a semi-automatic. I was thinking a Bersa or other small caliber auto, perhaps even a Walther.

alien-Glocker
10-01-2008, 18:17
There are other option to a basic pistol coursem.

VA State Police Website: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

Why not a hunter safety course, my neighbor went this route and just received his CHP. These used to be taught at Ft Belvoir, the VA DGIF should list the location where they are taught. Yes the NRA course is great, but if you are looking to save money,,,,,, then give it a try.

USMC_G19
10-02-2008, 04:09
Great info, Im going to have to take a look a the hunter safety course. $300 or free?? Ill take free!

bearwitme
10-02-2008, 05:55
I took my class at "The Range" in Stafford. They are right off US 1. I paid $60.00 which included the class, gun rental and ammo (50 Rounds).

Aroooo
10-02-2008, 07:45
Gilbert's Small Arms Range in Lorton/Newington has basic classes that run $60 or so every week. Not sure of the exact price, but its in that range somewhere. They are at 8195-M Backlick Rd., Lorton VA 22079; right off the 7100 Parkway across from the tank farm.

jbyrum87
10-02-2008, 18:15
i just bought my girlfriend a bersa thunder 380 for her birthday.. and i have to say that little gun suprised me i paid 320$ for it, its light, very safe for a beginner carry pistol and its fairly accurate at short range, its not really ment for target shooting... and ill also add we went to the range and put 300 rounds through it right out of the box and i had no malfunctions what so ever.... hope this helps you find a gun for her.

USMC_G19
10-03-2008, 04:07
I took my class at "The Range" in Stafford. They are right off US 1. I paid $60.00 which included the class, gun rental and ammo (50 Rounds).

We actually walked in there one afternoon not too long ago. The staff ignored us which left a pretty bad impression of the place. Grant you I looked like I just left church, but that doesn't mean i was lost...Maybe next time I'll wear my USMC T-shirt and G19. Maybe a lit smoke hanging from the corner of my mouth too.

USMC_G19
10-03-2008, 04:07
Gilbert's Small Arms Range in Lorton/Newington has basic classes that run $60 or so every week. Not sure of the exact price, but its in that range somewhere. They are at 8195-M Backlick Rd., Lorton VA 22079; right off the 7100 Parkway across from the tank farm.

This is the place I wanted to take her since its so close, but i called and they are booked up til December!

alien-Glocker
10-03-2008, 14:50
This is the place I wanted to take her since its so close, but i called and they are booked up til December!

And then another 45 days till you rCHP arrives.

G30Jack
10-03-2008, 17:07

I'm running a basic pistol course this month.:whistling:

RandySmith
10-03-2008, 23:21
I have an introductory handgun class on the 11th of this month. Not NoVa but not too far away either; the Staunton area. If you cannot find anything closer, give me a call.

Randy

Tweek's Turbos
10-05-2008, 17:02
Have YOU taken the Utah class? D&D security has it and it is also sufficient for a VA CCW license. You could both take it, and both get something out of it.

They are located in Alexandria.
http://www.ddsta.com/main.shtml

Utah class is under "Directors Corner"

Cross-X
10-05-2008, 17:04
NRA Basic Pistol beats a hunter safety course if you want to learn the basics of shooting handguns.

USMC_G19
10-06-2008, 03:58
I'm running a basic pistol course this month.:whistling:

Where?? when??

USMC_G19
10-06-2008, 04:03
Have YOU taken the Utah class? D&D security has it and it is also sufficient for a VA CCW license. You could both take it, and both get something out of it.

They are located in Alexandria.
http://www.ddsta.com/main.shtml

Utah class is under "Directors Corner"

Interesting. Ive had my CCW for quite some time. She is the one who needs the class, of course since she wants me there with her I'll be taking it too. Ill have to look into this since its so close. Thanks

G30Jack
10-06-2008, 12:44
Where?? when??

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?t=927222