Blue Screen of death [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen of death

silentpoet
10-03-2008, 01:02
My laptop is getting the blue screen of death upon bootup. It will get to the windows splash screen then a BSOD pops up. None of the safe modes will boot. Last known good does not boot. Normal does not boot. Yesterday morning it had troubles coming awake out of stand by or sleep mode. It would not respond to any of the keys so I held on the power button until it powered down and then I hit again to reboot.

Since windows starts to boot I do not think I have any bad hardware. The bios is showing the hard drive and memory, and obviously the video works, but windows is messed up. My best guess at a solution is to reinstall XP, but all I have if I can find it is my old XP upgrade disc that I no longer have installed on anything. Is there an easier fix? Even if I have to take it to a shop I would do it if it should be a simple fix. If I can find the disc will the XP disc just do a repair or will I have to do a complete reinstall.

IndyGunFreak
10-03-2008, 07:08
That really sucks, a repair install might work, it'd be worth a try. Is your important data on the drive backed up?

IGF

silentpoet
10-04-2008, 06:48
Is your important data on the drive backed up?

IGF
No because I am a fool, but there are only a couple of important files if I have to reformat and reinstall. It will just be a pain to reinstall all the programs and info. If I do I will be smart and partition off windows so my files are ok. I do on my desktops, but I had not messed with the hard drive any. The Hard drive is ok, I used the ultimate boot cd to check things out and except for windows XP everything is ok. I ran two different scans and both show no bad sectors or anything. Right now I am downloading a linux distro. If I could get wow and quicken to work I will use it. But I have never messed with emulators in linux before. I just ran straight mandrake and redhat for awhile back when I used it.

I can't find my XP disc but I m going to check with my nephew in a little bit and see if he has one handy.

IndyGunFreak
10-04-2008, 07:10
No because I am a fool, but there are only a couple of important files if I have to reformat and reinstall. It will just be a pain to reinstall all the programs and info. If I do I will be smart and partition off windows so my files are ok. I do on my desktops, but I had not messed with the hard drive any. The Hard drive is ok, I used the ultimate boot cd to check things out and except for windows XP everything is ok. I ran two different scans and both show no bad sectors or anything. Right now I am downloading a linux distro. If I could get wow and quicken to work I will use it. But I have never messed with emulators in linux before. I just ran straight mandrake and redhat for awhile back when I used it.

I can't find my XP disc but I m going to check with my nephew in a little bit and see if he has one handy.

If your familiar w/ Linux.. You could download a Linux live CD(Ubuntu would do), and use it to mount your main ntfs drive, and move your important files to a thumb drive, or external drive.

WoW, should work w/ Linux via wine(maybe not perfectly)... as for Quicken, there's several good money programs under Linux(I like gnucash).. Dunno what version you have.. but it doesn't look good..

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=107

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1922

IGF

filthy infidel
10-04-2008, 07:19
You might pop the cover over the memory and make sure the RAM cards are fully seated, same with the hard drive.

srhoades
10-04-2008, 07:55
Hit f8 like you are getting into safe mode and then f8 again. Chose don't automatically restart on system failure. This will let you acutally see the blue screen before it reboots. Post the contents.

Once you find the XP disc boot into the recovery console and do a chkdsk.

TangoFoxtrot
10-05-2008, 11:11
Just smash it with a sledgehammer. Just kidding!:supergrin:

silentpoet
10-05-2008, 23:14
Ok a few updates but no solution so far. The file structure is still intact. One of the utilities on the ultimate boot cd lets me browse it. Linux, ubuntu the latest version, will not mount the hard drive. I tried to force mounting using the directions from the pop up warning in ubuntu and I can't get it to force the mount. It says something about a bad shutdown(well duh) but the command line it gives me to force the mount does not work. If I could defrag it, I maybe could repartition and install linux. I don't want to repartition right now because I am afraid of losing data. But I am going to see if I can run defrag or checkdisk using the ultimate boot cd.

The blue screen says to run checkdisk but I am not sure it will fix anything because all the other scans show the drive is ok. But if it fixes file system errors it might be worth it.

JimBianchi
10-05-2008, 23:30
Good luck.

(I type this from my backup computer. My main computer is behind me awaiting parts. Blue Screen of Death got the hard drive to convert to a coaster.)

silentpoet
10-06-2008, 07:20
I finally just said screw it and installed ubuntu. Now I just need to get my wireless networking card set up. My cd is at home if it has drivers for linux. Otherwise I will hook up to the dsl router and download them. Then I need to get wine.

andybob
10-06-2008, 07:42
Good Luck with Ubuntu. I fussed with it for a while and couldn't get my wireless to work and I haven't fussed with it in a few months since then. I love the OS but I just haven't had time to di$k around with it. Good Luck,

Andybob

silentpoet
10-06-2008, 09:12
wired networking works at least. I am going to look and see if I can find drivers for my linksys.

IndyGunFreak
10-06-2008, 11:37
wired networking works at least. I am going to look and see if I can find drivers for my linksys.

Whats the chipset on the device, I might be able to help you.. and What version of Ubuntu did you download/Install?

if its an internal wireless device, open a terminal and type "lspci" no quotes, hit enter... You should get an output something like this.... Look through there and see how it identifies your device. *Most chipsets will be either Intel, Atheros, Broadcomm or Ralink... General rule of thumb, Intel works out of the box, Atheros works w/ Madwifi, Broadcom(as of 8.04), works with a firmware upgrade, and Ralink requires more hoops than a 3 ring circus.. :) You can get it to work w/ ndiswrapper and firmware upgrades, but I've never been successful w/ it.

Some of the USB wireless devices are a bit of a pain....

ken@ken-laptop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
ken@ken-laptop:~$

SCC
10-13-2008, 11:55
do a complete reinstall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistling: