Desktop computer acting up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Desktop computer acting up

JimBianchi
10-03-2008, 21:01
About a month ago my day to day computer started acting up. Seemed like a virus or trojan eating up the memory, but no matter what I did or what trojan/spyware or virus software I ran, it kept getting slower and slower.

I listened to my inner geek and bought a 750GB external backup HD and ran it every few days.

Two days ago the HD crapped out. (2006 Seagate 250GB SATA)

Fatal Error and Blue Screen of Death. (Backup was not connected when all hell broke loose)

I swapped out HD's with an old (2002) SATA I had laying around, but no joy. This old drive may be bad, I don't remember, it's been in a box for 5 years.

I have three more spare ATA drives, and as soon as I buy a 40pin cable I can try them. (I might get lucky and it is a bad CPU or motherboard that did not fry the HD.....yeah, right.)

Either way, thank God for the backup.

What do we learn from this kids?

Always have a backup.

(I have three other computers, so my work is not effected, but my email is trashed! Newest backup I have is 7 days old)

KharToon
10-04-2008, 06:40
Are you still experiencing the original symptoms outside of any external disk issues? Have your run and analyzed "Hijack This"? If so, have you run it in safe mode? I am asuming you are running windows XP?

filthy infidel
10-04-2008, 07:24
A hard drive is like a fart, here one minute and gone the next.

My laptop 'lost' 25 gigs of music one day- all Windows Media files vanished. The tunes were backed up. I backed up everything that night to my custom RAID setep (Retarded And Inconvenient Data). I was having issues with XP anyway and wiped the drive to do a fresh install, only got the blue screen. I was lucky and got a little warning before the drive failed.

JimBianchi
10-04-2008, 08:31
Are you still experiencing the original symptoms outside of any external disk issues? Have your run and analyzed "Hijack This"? If so, have you run it in safe mode? I am asuming you are running windows XP?

Won't boot to safe mode.

XP is stuck in a loop.

After F8, splash screen, reboot, F8, splash screen, F8.

When I tried booting from the emergency disk, it went back to the BLUE SCREEN of DEATH.

Same with F-Disk.

After 3hrs of nail-biting effort, I pulled the hard drive and had a strong drink.

KharToon
10-04-2008, 08:39
Won't boot to safe mode.

XP is stuck in a loop.

After F8, splash screen, reboot, F8, splash screen, F8.

When I tried booting from the emergency disk, it went back to the BLUE SCREEN of DEATH.

Same with F-Disk.

After 3hrs of nail-biting effort, I pulled the hard drive and had a strong drink.

What brand and model is the PC also can you access the BIOS?

JimBianchi
10-04-2008, 14:54
HP Pavilion a1640n.

Yes I can get to the BIOS.

KharToon
10-04-2008, 15:24
I worked on a friends compaq that had the same problem. Slaved the original hard drive to a different PC, copied all important files off of the C and D partitions and tried a repair install via xp disk on the system partition but it failed. Rebuilt the MBR and Ran FIXMBR on to no avail. Bottom line was that there was some type of power event that damaged the hard disk or the SATA controller/bus. This was the first time I was not able to recover what I thought was a corrupted XP instance. I stopped at that point since the pc was quite old and recommended it was time for a new one anyhow.

At this point I would buy a new hard drive and try a clean install of XP on it. If it doesn't take, then you know it is time for a new MB and you can return the hard drive for a refund. If it takes then you can slave your old hard disk and copy over your files.

JimBianchi
10-04-2008, 15:46
Thanks.

Those are my next steps.