Really thinking about joining [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Really thinking about joining

Trigger_Rush
10-05-2008, 01:51
I think I'm gonna join the Marines.

I was in the Air Force a couple years ago. I know AF basic and MC basic are two entirely different animals, but I like to think MC basic isn't going to be as stressful for me since I've already dealt with the screaming TI's during the AF basic. (not to say MC basic won't be very stressful)

Still, I've got a couple concerns. I've heard DI's aren't allowed to swear or hit recruits. The swearing happens, I can deal with it. The hitting, does it happen and how bad would you have to mess up for that to happen?

There's a video on youtube where a recruit gets mobbed by four very angry DI's. How do you deal with that? It sounds a bit like all he's doing is screaming 'Yes, sir!' over and over.

Physically, I can push out 50 pushups in a sitting, 80-100 situps in one go, and I can run a mile in 11-12 minutes. Are these acceptable numbers going into the USMC?

Are there any other suggestions anyone can give to avoid the ire of a DI? Or even share your boot camp experience. Help a young man settle some butterflies.

gruntmedik
10-06-2008, 20:11
The only way to avoid the thrashing by the Drill Instructors, is to not go. Sooner or later, they're gonna notice you.

Norman
10-06-2008, 20:45
If you think this is the right move for you, go for it. As long as you have an honorable discharge, I think you'll be okay.

I think your pushups and situps are fine, but you're going to want to get your mile time down to at least 8 minutes per mile. It takes practice. Ideally, it's more important to get yourself to be able to run 2 miles in 15 minutes or less. 3 miles in 24 minutes. The USMC will take care of the rest, I'm sure.

<--- Not a Marine

<--- Former Army

BrazosCoTX
10-06-2008, 21:10
Let's put the myth to rest-- you will not be punched, slugged, slapped, or similarly assaulted at recruit training today. In the 50's and 60's-- probably. No top notch NCO or SNCO would risk his career for the stupidity of hitting a recruit. They don't need to hit you-- their bearing, command presence, and professionalism are enough to intimidate most recruits.

So you spent some time in the USAF. Some benefit there, but you will also be older than the average recruit, and you will need to show up in much better shape than you are in now. Many young men (and women) who are enrolled in the Delayed Entry Program are already faster and stronger than you are now-- and that's because their recruiters are PT'ing them in preparation for MCRD. Expect some verbal grief for having been in the USAF first, and not making the right decision the first time around. Only one reason to join our Corps-- and that's because you want to earn the title Marine.

BTW--my son is USAF, and a veteran of OIF/OEF. I am very proud of him.

Semper Fidelis
USMC 1974-1995

Trigger_Rush
10-07-2008, 03:42
I'm only 24. I understand I've got 6 years on the average recruit, but the disparity can't be that bad.

Also, I don't plan on going in tomorrow. I've spoken with the Marine recruiter here and they work out three times a week with the delayed entry folk. I'd definitely be working out with them to get my run time down.

I think I'll easily be able to get in under time. When I joined the Air Force I was 19 and my initial PT test resulted in (an embarrassing) 4 pushups, 5 situps, and a Godawful run time (I don't remember it, but it was just as embarrassing). My final score was 42 pushups and 60 situps in two minutes, and 11:30 mile and a half. I improved all that in 4 weeks time. Hence why I think I'll get up to USMC standards.

03 Jarhead
10-07-2008, 15:15
If you honestly want to be a Marine don't let a little apprehension stop you. You will definitely want to improve your run time before going in and work on your endurance. The new combat fitness test will probably be being run also by the time you go. Being prior service can help or hurt you, and a lot of that depends on you. I was a DI at MCRD San Diego from 85 - 88. I always expected more out of my prior service recruits since they should already know the basics. I would use them in leadership positions if they showed me they could handle it and really wanted it. Although some prior service got "special attention" all the time because they already knew everything and they were doing us a favor by enlisting. I don't want to tie up or hijack this thread, but that's my 2 cents worth. If you have more or specific questions, feel free to ask.

Trigger_Rush
10-07-2008, 15:50
If you honestly want to be a Marine don't let a little apprehension stop you. You will definitely want to improve your run time before going in and work on your endurance. The new combat fitness test will probably be being run also by the time you go. Being prior service can help or hurt you, and a lot of that depends on you. I was a DI at MCRD San Diego from 85 - 88. I always expected more out of my prior service recruits since they should already know the basics. I would use them in leadership positions if they showed me they could handle it and really wanted it. Although some prior service got "special attention" all the time because they already knew everything and they were doing us a favor by enlisting. I don't want to tie up or hijack this thread, but that's my 2 cents worth. If you have more or specific questions, feel free to ask.

You're not hijacking at all, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. No worries from me acting like a know it all. Had a couple guys in my basic flight like that and I know the thrashing my flight and I got because of them. The last thing I want is to be remembered by the DIs or the guys I'm in basic with (the platoon?).

As a guy who will be obviously be working on his PT score before and probably during basic, would it be recommended to take a leadership position (is there a choice?) Or should I duck it when possible? I know that being in leadership is higher profile and as such makes you more prone to bonus PT.

As a DI, what suggestions or pointers would you give me to get through basic as painlessly (relatively speaking) as possible?

03 Jarhead
10-07-2008, 16:24
My advice would be to go to boot camp in the best physical AND mental condition as possible. You've already been through boot camp once so you know how mentally challenging it is as well. Not academically, but shall we say "mind games".
This is the same advice I gave my son before he went to boot camp. He was a physical stud, but I wanted him to be prepared mentally as well.
I would say to be confident but not cocky. Your military experience helps the DI's get some of the routine things done easier without stressing them out too much (which normally means incentive PT for you). Don't shy away from leadership positions such as squad leader or guide, and if you're selected just do the best you can. You may get fired a time or two, but if you do an overall good job it could mean a promotion for you at the end of boot camp.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I'll give you the best answers I can from my experience.

Teufelhunde
10-07-2008, 21:53
If joining the Corps is what you want, I say go for it. Just be aware that the Marine Corps is not a military service, it is a religion, and it will change you forever! We were not given the honor of being the foremost fighting force in the world, We have EARNED IT, over and over again. Being prior military, you will likely be singled out for a leadership position in boot camp. Embrace it and do the absolute best you can. Your drill instructors will expect you to supply direction for the other recruits.

I don't know if todays DI's get physical with the recruits or not. I do know that in 1972, although technically not allowed, they did. I also know that they were not abusive, and the physical "mistreatment" went a long way towards building character and toughness in the Marines they were producing, and anyone afraid of a little pain should not enter Marine Corps boot camp.

In the end, it is all about how badly you want to be called "Marine", only a very small percentage of the population measures up to that title.

Semper Fi

Lon

Trigger_Rush
10-08-2008, 02:24
I will say I feel alot better about this. All in all being a Marine something I want to experience, and a title I'd like to earn and carry. Thanks very much to all who've contributed.

Now, when I was in the AF, I was a 2A051C Avionics Sensors Technician. Frankly, the job sucked. I don't want to be in a dedicated maintenance position. So I've been toying with the idea of going in for either infantry or tank crewman. Are either of these recommended? What other jobs would anyone recommend?

03 Jarhead
10-08-2008, 14:48
The MOS you choose is a very personal decision that you should put some thought into. There are a lot of things to consider such as what do you want to get out of it, are you looking for a skill that can be used on the outside, etc? There are a lot of different jobs in the Corps but they're not all for everyone. There is nothing wrong with either infantry or tanks if that's what you decide you want, but, put some thought into it before jumping in.

Teufelhunde
10-09-2008, 22:03
Now, when I was in the AF, I was a 2A051C Avionics Sensors Technician. Frankly, the job sucked. I don't want to be in a dedicated maintenance position. So I've been toying with the idea of going in for either infantry or tank crewman. Are either of these recommended? What other jobs would anyone recommend?

I was originally and 0311 (infantry) and advanced to SSgt 0369 (Infantry small unit leader). I got out (after 7 years service) and went back in in less than a year. I was retrained as and Air Traffic Control Radar Technician (5953). I kept that MOS until medically discharged as a Gunny at over 17 years service.

At 55 years old, I find that one of the things that we old farts tend to do is reminisce (sp?), and think back about what we could have done better. I will tell you that if I had it to do over again, I would never have gotten out the first time, would have remained infantry, and would have put much more into it than I did. As much as all Marines have my love and respect, infantry is what being a Marine is all about. I would suggest that you ask for an infantry guarantee, and once you earn the title, DRINK THE KOOLAID:supergrin:, give it every thing you have to give, and it will be returned many times over.

Good luck.

Lon

DWhitehorne
10-13-2008, 14:30
Get off the fence. Put your boots on and jump in the sand pit. You'll love it, once you're done. I was a 0351 Anti Armor Assaultman and then a Marine Security Guard. You're not going to get hit. Maybe an "accidental" bonk on the bridge of your nose by the brim of your DI's cover. Think long and hard about your career goals when choosing your MOS. It's hard to get out of the 03 field once your in for a while. Good luck and never quit, it will be the best experience in your life. David

Oh and 21 years later my chow hall Boot Camp chant: Devil Dogs-Shock Troops-Blood Sucking War Machines, Ready to Fight, Ready to Kill, Ready to Die but Never Will, Bends and Thrusts Will Make us Mean, Spirit and Discipline Will Make us Marines. Spoken 3 times a day for 85 training days and it's still in my brain housing group.

corpdriller
10-16-2008, 19:17
Being a Marine is not something you "think about" doing. You want it or you don't. If you want it, go sign the stinkin papers and go. Your PT scores are not so bad as you think. The 17 & 18 y.o.s are going to run circles around you. Do the best you can and believe that your DIs will properly motivate you to be better than you ever thought you could be. Give it 100% and let the Corps do the rest.

Get an MOS commensurate with your IQ. I am in no way busting on any MOS. You may become bored with what you are doing if it doesn't excite and challenge you mentally and physically every day you wake up.

chauncey
10-16-2008, 21:09
I was an Air Force ROTC officer candidate before I enlisted in the USMC as a Grunt.

believe it or not, I had to get a WAIVER to enlist in the USMC b/c I had been through a USAF version of "basic" training. urban legend is that USAF TI's go through a version of USMC DI school, and use USMC training principles.

USMC Boot Camp ended up being the best 13 weeks of my life. a lot of the head games were the same, I knew how to polish my boots and short-sheet my rack (that really po'd my Heavy during "two sheets and a pillowcase on line!"), and I could strip and re-assemble my M16A2 faster than anyone else in my platoon (thanks to Army ROTC).

at any rate, if all of us could do it, you can too, if you want to!

andrewgonzo
10-24-2008, 12:02
You can handle the screaming. Marine Corps DI's hardly hit anymore. They get in trouble now, if they hit recruits. And when those DI's gang up on one recruit it is entirely for a show for the rest of the recruits. Just showing if you mess up this bad you will feel my rath and my other drill instructors too. Just live day by day. And think that other recurits made it through to be Marines, so can you.

Teufelhunde
10-24-2008, 22:40
I was an Air Force ROTC officer candidate before I enlisted in the USMC as a Grunt.

believe it or not, I had to get a WAIVER to enlist in the USMC b/c I had been through a USAF version of "basic" training.

This quote says it all...........Another service OFFICER candidate had to get a waiver prior to enlisting as a Marine ENLISTED candidate:wow:.

Sh$t or get off of the pot, you either have it or you don't (although, I see by the timeline on this thread, it is likely a moot point).

Lon

chauncey
10-25-2008, 16:53
This quote says it all...........Another service OFFICER candidate had to get a waiver prior to enlisting as a Marine ENLISTED candidate:wow:.

Sh$t or get off of the pot, you either have it or you don't (although, I see by the timeline on this thread, it is likely a moot point).

Lon

yeah, that really pissed me off, at the time. My recruiter told me that if I had up to two felonies, they could get me waived in 24 hours. b/c I had been in the USAF, it would take me two weeks.

the other half of the story is I had to write my congressman to get the Army to release my medical records, after the Army medically dq'd me.

i don't think my recruiter thought she was ever going to put me in. she was a big help up to a point, then saw the futility, and I kind of took the ball and ran with it, from there. I think they (the recruiters) were a little amused by it. I had three years of college done, was a little smarter than the average (17-year old, HS senior) bear, and was fighting the system to get myself in the USMC.

of course this bit the USMC a little on the way out, when after EAS I wrote my congressman again, to get per diem the USMC had screwed my detachment out of, while in Panama. ended with a funny 10 am phone call from admin (woke me up, I was in college, again) to tell me "a congressional representative had visited, and I would be getting my per diem check, very soon." just so you know, my chain had fought for this per diem ad nauseum before I got out, and kept hitting a stone wall, so I wasn't stepping on any local toes.

10-25-2008, 19:40
In high school I was a Company Commander (Captain) in Army Jr ROTC. In College I was in the Air Force ROTC and achieved the rank of Cadet LT. I got bored with College.

I joined the Corps in 1961. At Boot Camp we were mentally abushed and physically abushed. Thump call was common with all 3 DI's hitting on us at once. I learned every foul word in English, Japanese, Korean and Chinese.

I still every once in awhile string 15 - 20 4 letter words together and make a sentence out it without repeating a single word.

I earned the Title MARINE because I wanted it. Today those that earn the Title still want it. Things may have changed some since I was in, but MARINES are still earning the Title.

Go stand by the gate and look at the bus that brings the new recruits to either SD or PI. The guys on that bus look the same as the guys on the bus going to AF, NAVY and Army Basic Training. The only difference is they want to become MARINES, the others want something else.

We had a Pappy - 26 years old in Boot Camp. He got along fine because he wanted to be there and earn the Title.

If you want to be a MARINE... Sign up and let the USMC worry about how tough it is.They will show you the way to earn the TITLE and give you every chance for you to earn it. You will still have to earn it.

Trigger_Rush
10-27-2008, 05:43
I'm gonna go for it. Methinks I'm gonna go talk to a recruiter tomorrow sometime. I've still got a month on my apartment lease so I've got some time yet.

A thought occured to me. When a DI gets in my face, as it's bound to happen, where should I look? Just lock my eyes forward and stare over his forehead?

03 Jarhead
10-27-2008, 16:54
I'm gonna go for it. Methinks I'm gonna go talk to a recruiter tomorrow sometime. I've still got a month on my apartment lease so I've got some time yet.

A thought occured to me. When a DI gets in my face, as it's bound to happen, where should I look? Just lock my eyes forward and stare over his forehead?

Congratulations! Keep your eyeballs straight ahead and sound off like you've got a pair to any questions/comments! Enjoy!

Teufelhunde
10-27-2008, 23:05
I earned the Title MARINE because I wanted it. Today those that earn the Title still want it. Things may have changed some since I was in, but MARINES are still earning the Title.

And that says it all. You have to WANT to be one of the best.

Teufelhunde
10-27-2008, 23:08

Good for you!!!! Let us know when you have earned title of Marine!!

Always keep your head and eyes locked to the front. NEVER look your DI in the eyes.

Good luck, keep focused on your goal, and you MAY be allowed the opportunity to join the most elite fraternity in the world.

sdsnet
10-27-2008, 23:11
If I was single and in my early twenties right now I would sign up in a heartbeat. This is such an important time for our country that it would be an honor to participate in the armed forces and help protect our freedoms.

Trigger_Rush
11-11-2008, 16:14
Just a heads up, I spoke to a recruiter the other day. I haven't signed anything yet, but they'll have a ship date for me in awhile and I'll sign when it comes. Something to do with being prior service AF. In the mean time, I'm working out with the recruiting station, I've quit smoking, and I'm watching my diet.

I'll let you know before I go, but I should be shipping sometime in February.

Norman
11-11-2008, 19:34
Awesome. Congrats, and get in the best shape you can. This is your life and the life of your future buddies. If that don't motivate, the DI's will.

Teufelhunde
11-11-2008, 20:22
Just a heads up, I spoke to a recruiter the other day. I haven't signed anything yet, but they'll have a ship date for me in awhile and I'll sign when it comes. Something to do with being prior service AF. In the mean time, I'm working out with the recruiting station, I've quit smoking, and I'm watching my diet.

I'll let you know before I go, but I should be shipping sometime in February.

Good to hear that you decided to do it, you won't be sorry. Earning the title of "Marine" is a life changing event.

Good for you on quiting smoking, I finally quit about 10 years ago, it's tough, but doable. Good on you for PT'ing with the recruiting station, too. Getting in shape prior to boot camp will help a great deal.

Just noticed you are in AZ. Whereabouts? I live in Spring Valley, about 50 miles N of Phoenix.

Lon

Trigger_Rush
11-12-2008, 13:21
Good to hear that you decided to do it, you won't be sorry. Earning the title of "Marine" is a life changing event.

Good for you on quiting smoking, I finally quit about 10 years ago, it's tough, but doable. Good on you for PT'ing with the recruiting station, too. Getting in shape prior to boot camp will help a great deal.

Just noticed you are in AZ. Whereabouts? I live in Spring Valley, about 50 miles N of Phoenix.

Lon

I live in Chandler. It's a pretty cool place.

Yeah I figured I need to quit smoking. The only part of all the PT I worry about is the running. I know I can get up to standards for pull ups and crunches but it's the run that worries me. That's what worried me in the AF. So I figured if I've got a problem running, cigarettes aren't gonna help a damn thing. At the very least, I've only been smoking for the past five months so I'm not that deep into it.

Teufelhunde
11-12-2008, 20:52
I live in Chandler. It's a pretty cool place.

Yeah I figured I need to quit smoking. The only part of all the PT I worry about is the running. I know I can get up to standards for pull ups and crunches but it's the run that worries me. That's what worried me in the AF. So I figured if I've got a problem running, cigarettes aren't gonna help a damn thing. At the very least, I've only been smoking for the past five months so I'm not that deep into it.

I wouldn't worry so much about the running. If you have a few extra pounds, then loosing them will make a lot of difference. So will spending a lot of time PT'ing with the recruiters. Running is one of those things that, if you are not a natural, you have to work at to be good, but the more you practice, the better you get. I was never a real good runner, but at about 26 YO, just decided I wanted to do it well, and in a year, was running rings around the 18 and 19 year olds, was doing 3 miles in 17 minutes, after a 1 1/2 mile warmup run getting to the PFT field, even ran one marathon (it kicked my *****).

Good luck!!!!

Lon

npogmothoin
12-02-2008, 15:39
I talked to an active duty 1st Sergeant (who I will NOT name) last summer who had just come off a tour at P.I. ... and He said that yes, D.I.s still occasionally will give recruits love taps when no one is looking, but they only do it to the ones that they no can take it, and won't snitch.
So if you're having problems in boot because of the stress and physical exhaustion and are struggling, the DI's probably won't touch you.
But if you prove to them that you aren't a ***** and can actually lead they may or may not. I have no clue how widespread the practice is, but the 1st Sergeant said that it definitely still occurs.
But who cares, it will only make you stronger.

Trigger_Rush
12-03-2008, 21:01
I talked to an active duty 1st Sergeant (who I will NOT name) last summer who had just come off a tour at P.I. ... and He said that yes, D.I.s still occasionally will give recruits love taps when no one is looking, but they only do it to the ones that they no can take it, and won't snitch.
So if you're having problems in boot because of the stress and physical exhaustion and are struggling, the DI's probably won't touch you.
But if you prove to them that you aren't a ***** and can actually lead they may or may not. I have no clue how widespread the practice is, but the 1st Sergeant said that it definitely still occurs.
But who cares, it will only make you stronger.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not keen on getting hit by a DI. But as long as it's not a full blown ass kicking, I've no problem with a couple slaps or such here and there.

jeff58fl
12-20-2008, 13:13
I took a shot to the solarplex during a hygiene inspection, sent me to my knees, P.I. '76. The DI just wanted to see how tough I was. I got a meritorious promotion after my 13 weeks. Then one of the best duty stations
available at the time, Subic Bay, Philippines, Marine Barracks, 22 months.
Then off to Lejeune for some division time..

SemperFi

ArodJohns
12-20-2008, 14:18
The MOS you choose is a very personal decision that you should put some thought into. There are a lot of things to consider such as what do you want to get out of it, are you looking for a skill that can be used on the outside, etc? There are a lot of different jobs in the Corps but they're not all for everyone. There is nothing wrong with either infantry or tanks if that's what you decide you want, but, put some thought into it before jumping in.

The Drill Instructor here speaks the truth (Please forgive me 03, I don't know your specific rank). Think long and hard about your MOS.

FWIW, I've been preparing for months now and I still can't settle on one.

Jim S.
01-01-2009, 12:14
Good luck to you, and perhaps we can hear from you when you finish basic. A lot of good advise has been given here and I just want to add that you must be prepared to give 100% at all times. The Marine Corps is not asking you to join, but you are asking them to make you a Marine. Be the best Marine that you can possibly be, and stay motivated. Remember this, when the going gets tough, we and many others have done what you are about to do and you can do it too! Learn all that you can and experience all that they offer.