New Smoker [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Smoker

KG4IDA
10-05-2008, 20:02
I bought a smoker today. I've wanted one for a while and Home Depot had a Brinkmann electric kettle type smoker for $59. I couldn't resist. It will be used on a wooden floor porch so I would prefer electric anyway.

Does anyone have one of these? I got some hickory and some mesquite wood to use in it. I need to season it and then experiment some. I'm thinking smoked turkey breast for Thanksgiving. I'll probably start with a brisket.

JohniusMaximus
10-06-2008, 13:31
I don't have that one, but I have an electric Bradley smoker. Once you practice a bit you'll never buy BBQ from a restaurant ever again.

noway
10-06-2008, 18:16
I bought a smoker today. I've wanted one for a while and Home Depot had a Brinkmann electric kettle type smoker for $59. I couldn't resist. It will be used on a wooden floor porch so I would prefer electric anyway.

Does anyone have one of these? I got some hickory and some mesquite wood to use in it. I need to season it and then experiment some. I'm thinking smoked turkey breast for Thanksgiving. I'll probably start with a brisket.

my thoughts;

I had one of these form Home Depot IIRC;

I used it due to my Condo association had codes in place to NOT allow open flames on bacony even tho most people had gas or charcoal BBQs.

The pan that holds the heat/lava rocks is great and holds up very good. The rest of the unit does not.

It's prone for rusting, the pyrometer installed in the top lid is prone to coatup-over from the smoke. The heat controls are weak.

Bottom line, it's an okay starter unit but after an year of heavy use, you might want to look at another unit.

just my 2 cts.

Gun Shark
10-06-2008, 18:28
I don't have that one, but I have an electric Bradley smoker. Once you practice a bit you'll never buy BBQ from a restaurant ever again.
+111111111111111111111

It took my dad and I a little while but when we finally got it right it was great.

My dad has the same smoker.

filthy infidel
10-21-2008, 14:16
Go to Amazon.com. Order 'Smoke & Spice' by cheryl alters jamison and bill jamison, published by Harvard Common Press. Fantastic read, fantastic food.
Our salmon with dill/salt/cayenne rub has become a legend in these parts.
Turkey, pork tenderloin, pork chops, sausage, jerkey, -- I gotta go eat!:wavey:

rhikdavis
11-16-2008, 15:02
Go to Amazon.com. Order 'Smoke & Spice' by cheryl alters jamison and bill jamison, published by Harvard Common Press. Fantastic read, fantastic food.
Our salmon with dill/salt/cayenne rub has become a legend in these parts.
Turkey, pork tenderloin, pork chops, sausage, jerkey, -- I gotta go eat!:wavey:

Just ordered that book and a couple of Dan Kirks......Don't have a smoker yet tho.... :dunno:

KG4IDA
11-16-2008, 19:11
I used it this weekend to smoke some turkey breasts. It was pretty good but I think I need to use more wood. I used four pieces and it they didn't really give the breasts as much smoke flavor as I was expecting. Next, I'm going to do some pork loins for Thanksgiving.