Starting with Ubuntu [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Starting with Ubuntu

silentpoet
10-06-2008, 11:13
Ok, I have a few questions about Ubuntu. My last linux experience was several years ago with mandrake on a desktop. Now I am running ubuntu on my laptop.

How do I install the TGZ packages I have downloaded? I can get them extracted, but I am lost after that.

Also what is a good media player? I am having sound issues with movies.

What wine do I need to download? Source forge has several versions.

Any useful apps or stuff to help with my new linux experience?

gmachine
10-06-2008, 11:26
Don't worry about installing tgz packages, just use the built in software installers to download and install software from Ubuntu.

Go to: Applications menu and select Add/Remove to install some basic software.

Or, for a more comprehensive list of software, go to: System drop down menu and select Administration, then Synaptic Package Manager. You can find just about every program you are going to need with Synaptic.

IndyGunFreak
10-06-2008, 11:29
Ok, I have a few questions about Ubuntu. My last linux experience was several years ago with mandrake on a desktop. Now I am running ubuntu on my laptop.

How do I install the TGZ packages I have downloaded? I can get them extracted, but I am lost after that.

Also what is a good media player? I am having sound issues with movies.

What wine do I need to download? Source forge has several versions.

Any useful apps or stuff to help with my new linux experience?

What version of Ubuntu did you download?

1.... tgz files. They are source code and have to be compiled from source. What did you download? If you're new, you really want to try and stick w/ whats in the repositories.

2. VLC -- but what is your sound issue?

3. I guess that all depends on what you want to do...

Respond here, or you can PM/IM me if you want... I'm IndyGunFreak on AIM, Yahoo and MSN...

IGF

silentpoet
10-07-2008, 01:31
I downloaded I think 8.04, the latest stable version as of friday 10/3/08.

I am using the media player that came with it. After it downloaded the latest codecs it started giving everything the alvin and the chipmunks treatment. MP3s and movies both. Before that MP3s played ok, but it needed the codecs to play the movies "properly". I think it effects all movie formats, but I am not sure if I tested all formats. I know at least avi(possibly divx) movies and one or two other formats are messed up aside from the MP3s.

I want wine so I can try to get wow working.

The TGZ file I really want to install is one designed for PCMIA cards. My Linksys wireless network card is not on the official ubuntu wiki list. This program is designed for any PCMIA card with windows drivers. I am posting this from my phone at work, my laptop is at home so I can't tell you the package name, but it had roughly 400K downloads at sourceforge. I think my wireless card is a PCM100, I may be off because it too is at home.

Like I said my last experience was mandrake. It used RPM packages as I recall. I even ran redhat for awhile. I was so proud when I got it to dial up the ISP and connect.

Right now I just want to run linux as I would XP. Since I am taking the classes for help desk and related I may need some apps for programming. I start with an intro to programming this saturday.
I am also studying a book for A+ certification. So anything of much help in these areas would be great.

silentpoet
10-07-2008, 01:35
Don't worry about installing tgz packages, just use the built in software installers to download and install software from Ubuntu.

Go to: Applications menu and select Add/Remove to install some basic software.

Or, for a more comprehensive list of software, go to: System drop down menu and select Administration, then Synaptic Package Manager. You can find just about every program you are going to need with Synaptic.

thanks I will try that when I get home.

Also forgot to thank you indy gun freak.

Strangely, when I got home the sound issue was not in evidence. So for the moment that problem is fixed and I am now getting packages to try and get the wireless card to work.