Residency / FFL question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Residency / FFL question

jbenton
10-07-2008, 12:53
Greetings Rocky Mountain Glockers.

Your worst nightmare is coming true. A native Texan is moving to Colorado, via California. Well it could be worse. I could be a native Californian coming via Texas :)

Anyway, I decided to put the cash down for a LRB M-14 before prices and availability become an 'issue' due to potential political winds changing. I expect to be moving in about 5 weeks, which is also about the amount of lead time for the rifle to be built. So here's the question.

First I should mention that I know Colorado lets you purchase a long gun no matter what state you are from, provided you can pass the FBI instant check, with the sole exception of California residents.

Let say that I arrive in Colorado, get off the plane and head straight for the drivers license office to establish residency. Do you think I will have any trouble taking delivery of the rifle in Colorado, even with a Colorado temporary license, or should I try to make sure I get the rifle while still in California?

The main thing I'm concerned about is that in Texas, you have to be a resident for some period of time before you can purchase firearms. I don't know the specifics because I lived in Texas for 32 years so it was never an issue. Anyway, I can't find anything similar in Colorado, but I thought I'd run it past the experts on here.

Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to be saying "hi" from the SW. Denver area.

shrewd
10-08-2008, 23:19
There is no time period requirement. The CO statute says "resident". I would simply call a gun shop and say I've recently moved, and only have a temp ID, can you do a transfer with any other form of ID.
By the way, the transfer in CA will cost you an additional $80 or so with DROS and other CA specific paperwork (I used to live there). I would do everything possible to make it happen in CO, even if it has to sit at an FFL until you have an ID. I was doing almost the exact same thing as you, and the dealer said that he may be able to do it with other forms of ID. I got lucky and my DL showed up in my mailbox the day the firearm arrived.

*Also, I see you're an admirer of Jefferson, more people like you are needed in Rocky Mtn country.

jbenton
10-09-2008, 00:25
Thanks for the info, Shrewd. I believe I will do just that, and call local gun shops. I agree, the DROS stuff is lame as hell, and part of the reason I was hoping to be able to do it in Colorado. That, and I want a flash suppressor instead of a muzzle brake :)

And yes, I am a huge admirer of Thomas Jefferson. I believe he was probably the single greatest American of all time. I am happy to be moving to Jefferson County.

Hopefully there aren't 'too' many hippies and liberals up there because a lot of the reason I'm leaving California is to escape them.

shrewd
10-09-2008, 00:36
And yes, I am a huge admirer of Thomas Jefferson. I believe he was probably the single greatest American of all time. I am happy to be moving to Jefferson County.

Hopefully there aren't 'too' many hippies and liberals up there because a lot of the reason I'm leaving California is to escape them.
If you have netflix, you may be interested in some of the Jefferson documentaries.

As far as the liberals.. Well, they're all coming from CA taking over CO. It's not so bad up in Fort Collins, but it's very clear that in 5 years, this will be the new CA. Gotta keep moving north, at least that's my plan.
Welcome, and enjoy CO.

shrewd
10-09-2008, 00:48
This may be a good source for you as well.
http://rmgo.org/faq/
Denver and denver county have some laws that can get you in a twist.