Putting an XP hard drive in a Vista Computer?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Putting an XP hard drive in a Vista Computer??

Glock13
10-08-2008, 11:29
My old computer died and it had a 150 GB IDE hard drive and was loaded with XP. I am pretty sure that it was the motherboard that died. I bought a new computer that has Windows Vista and a SATA hard drive. I would like to connect the old IDE hard drive to the new computer so I can access the old files and perhaps use it as extra storage. I realize you can't really connect it internally because of the IDE/SATA differences. Can I buy an external hard drive case and connect it through USB? Will this cause a problem since the new HD will be Vista and the old was XP? Any help is greatly appreciated!

kckndrgn
10-08-2008, 11:31
Not a problem for me. I got an external USB HDD case for it, pluged it up and it worked just fine. Now I have a 150Gb portable disk drive :)

aspartz
10-08-2008, 12:17
You can also get PATA to SATA adapters fairly cheaply if you want to mount it internally.

ARS

Glock13
10-08-2008, 12:37
Not a problem for me. I got an external USB HDD case for it, pluged it up and it worked just fine. Now I have a 150Gb portable disk drive :)

Was your external hard drive a different operating system than the PC you connected it to also? How do the files show up? I realize your PC will usually show it as a new drive, but once you click on that drive, is it still organized the same way as it was previously i.e. will I have "My Documents", "Program Files", etc??

Glock13
10-08-2008, 12:43
You can also get PATA to SATA adapters fairly cheaply if you want to mount it internally.

ARS

I have looked at some of these onlines and the reviews weren't very positive. Have you had any experience with them?

aspartz
10-08-2008, 12:53
I have looked at some of these onlines and the reviews weren't very positive. Have you had any experience with them?
No real world experience. For my use they were physically too large. Or was my case too small?

My last 2 MBs had SATA, but they also had at least *one* PATA header as well, is this the case for you?

ARS

Glock13
10-08-2008, 12:59
No real world experience. For my use they were physically too large. Or was my case too small?

My last 2 MBs had SATA, but they also had at least *one* PATA header as well, is this the case for you?

ARS

That's a good question. It is a new Dell, and I haven't actually received it yet. I will try to check. Thanks for the info.

srhoades
10-08-2008, 13:11
That's a good question. It is a new Dell, and I haven't actually received it yet. I will try to check. Thanks for the info.

The new dells are SATA only, except for some of the servers which has one IDE connector for a CDROM.

You're best bet is to get an IDE external enclosure. I've heard nothing but good things bout the Icy Box enclosures.

Blitzer
10-08-2008, 13:31
My HP PC had two EIDE connectors with neither of them used, so I put my 400GB EIDE drive and DVD-RW drives in the case. Happy ending.

I would move the contents of My Documents folder to the SATA drive then Fdisk and format the old EIDE drive, after the data transfer is done. Or run a Wipe disk utility on it.

An aside:

If have a SATA/EIDE to USB 2.0 adapter that works well for data recovery. I have one made by a Chinese company I bought off of the Best sales web site. eBay or other companies sell simular devices, a handy thing to have around. By the way the EIDE drive is slower than the SATA drives and I wouldn't use one again. I would buy a 500GB SATA drive next time.

:) Best wishes.

d3athp3nguin
10-08-2008, 14:11
Yea your new PC may very well have an IDE connector on the motherboard. It's a cheap enough component; I don't see why they wouldn't toss one on there. A lot of DVD-ROM drives sold today are still IDE.

CableRouter
10-08-2008, 14:18
Was your external hard drive a different operating system than the PC you connected it to also? How do the files show up? I realize your PC will usually show it as a new drive, but once you click on that drive, is it still organized the same way as it was previously i.e. will I have "My Documents", "Program Files", etc??

This isn't an issue for XP/Vista, the file system is exactly the same. Case in point; I have both XP and Vista installed and bootable from the same HD. The organization will also be the same.

However, don't expect that all your old programs will run. Many commercial programs write information to the registry when they install and refuse to run when that information isn't found. I won't even try to get into the subject of moving that data from your XP registry into the Vista one, better off to just reinstall anything that won't run from it's original location on the XP hard drive.

kckndrgn
10-08-2008, 14:26

Old HDD was from an XP computer that croaked. New system is a Dell with SATA drive (though there is an IDE for the CD-R/W drive).

File system shows up just like any other. I didn't try to run any programs that were on the old drive, if I wanted any of those I re-installed them (there wasn't very many of them). I saved the drive mainly for the downloaded music and documents.

Glock13
10-08-2008, 14:26
This isn't an issue for XP/Vista, the file system is exactly the same. Case in point; I have both XP and Vista installed and bootable from the same HD. The organization will also be the same.

However, don't expect that all your old programs will run. Many commercial programs write information to the registry when they install and refuse to run when that information isn't found. I won't even try to get into the subject of moving that data from your XP registry into the Vista one, better off to just reinstall anything that won't run from it's original location on the XP hard drive.

Yeah, I figured most, if not all programs would not run. So what I am understanding is that all I need to do is get an external enclosure, put my XP IDE drive in it and I should be easily able to grab all my old info from this drive on my new Vista machine. Is this correct?? Thanks again for all the help.

havensal
10-08-2008, 18:17
I have a single HDD partitioned for XP, Vista and XP X64. All OS's can access the others files just fine. :wavey:

As for the installation, if you can go internal, than I would do that. If not see if you can get an enclosure that supports both USB and Firewire. :dunno:

Big Al 24
10-08-2008, 18:19
Yeah, I figured most, if not all programs would not run. So what I am understanding is that all I need to do is get an external enclosure, put my XP IDE drive in it and I should be easily able to grab all my old info from this drive on my new Vista machine. Is this correct?? Thanks again for all the help.

It should work. I don't think Vista will be a problem. The only time that Vista and XP have issues in the same machine is if you dual boot and install Vista first. You should be able to look at the whole drive and take whatever files you need. You may want to turn of UAC in Vista before you attach the drive so that it won't hassle you about the new drive with an OS installed on it- but I don't think it should be too much of an issue.