Women: how/what do you carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Women: how/what do you carry?

fsqridah
10-09-2008, 00:19
My girlfriend has been toying with the thought of getting her CCDW license in the near future. She's usually with me and protected by a Glock 39, but there are times when she's alone while she's out at night, or staying by herself at her apartment.

I've started her on handgun basics: safety (4 rules of Col. Jeff Cooper), nomanclature, rules of CCW, and firing techniques. She's shot my 26 and my Para Nite Hawg (before I traded it in on the 39) and is quite good for a first-timer. The Hawg (3" 1911 .45ACP) gave her a flinch with its nasty recoil and muzzle blast, but she shot the 26 without too much of a problem.

I told her if/when she gets her CCDW, I'll buy her a handgun and a holster to carry it in. I'm just curious as to what the women here prefer to carry, how they carry it, and why. It's my understanding that most women prefer the simplicity and user friendliness of a revolver; you don't need to pull the slide back, wrestle with a magazine, or understand much about a gun...you just gotta pull the trigger. I'm a big fan of autoloaders, but I can easily understand why someone would prefer a revolver, other than the obvious fact that you can carry a .357 mag (please no mentioning of DEs, lol).

My original plan (after purchasing my 39) was to give her my 26. However, there are other guns out there, and I'm willing to buy her something else if she's rather carry a different gun.

As far as caliber choice, I'm a firm believer in that if you make the shots go where they're supposed to go, the choice of cartridge is almost moot. Sure, a .45ACP is gonna do more damage than a .380ACP. But if you're more comfortable with a smaller cartridge for whatever reason, you'll train with it (because you're not scared of it), you'll train with it more, and be more apt to actually carry it rather than leaving it at home. I personally wouldn't carry anything less than a 9mm, but the .380ACP isn't a bad round, especially if it's carried in a very small handgun like a Kel-tec P3AT or Bersa Thunder .380.

As far as "safeties" go, my girlfriend was upset to find out my Glocks do not have external safeties. I explained to her that any gun is as safe or as dangerous as the person carrying it, and in an extremely stressful situation that warrants drawing and firing a concealed handgun, the user might fail (or forget) to disengage the safety, rendering the gun useless. To me, as long as you keep that finger off the bang switch, that's safety enough. I also think external safeties are relied upon far too often and cause a shooter to become careless and negligent. But if she feels more comfortable carrying a gun with a manual safety, she probably wouldn't carry one without it.

So for the ladies:

- Do you prefer a semi-auto or a revolver? Why?
- How do you feel about external safeties that, when 100% functional, need to be disengaged to put the gun into battery?
- What method of carry do you prefer (IWB, thigh, ankle, shoulder rig, etc)?
- Would you rather sacrifice concealability and carry a larger, more powerful cartridge, or sacrifice superior ballistics to carry a smaller cartridge that can fit in a smaller gun?
- Do you feel more comfortable while alone when you're carrying (or at home alone)?

edit: fixed the last question

Mrs. Tink
10-09-2008, 10:25
--I prefer a semi-auto. Just because we don't own any revolvers and I am not as familiar with them; I learned to shoot on a G17 and have only been to the range with a revolver once.

--I don't want to muck around with an external safety. Besides, safeties are like any mechanical device and can fail. I would rather rely on myself to be safe with the gun.

--Tough one. I like IWB but I seem to have few pants that are conducive to this method. I like purse carry but it has its own challenges. I am actually losing (more) weight in hopes that this will facilitate IWB carry.

--I carry a Walther PPS in 9mm. It is small enough that it is reasonably easy to conceal. I have carried a P99 before, which I don't really recommend due to its size but since it's my favorite range gun, I felt pretty confident. I have never carried smaller than a 9mm and don't intend to start soon.

--Not sure what you mean with your last question--are you trying to say "Do you feel more comfortable when you are carrying?" Depends on where I am. If I am home alone, I don't necessarily carry but the guns are never far away. I feel pretty comfortable in my neighborhood without carrying. If I am going downtown, riding the rail, or going to an unfamiliar place, I feel better while carrying.

My advice is to give your lady some time. Heck--I used to be anti-gun. I was not anti-RKBA because I believe strongly in the Constitution. However, I didn't know how to use guns and I had respect of guns that bordered on fear. I didn't want anything to do with them because I knew that my lack of education could be dangerous.

Fortunately, my husband gave me a ladies-only pistol class for Valentine's Day 2005 (what a romantic!) and thereafter I have felt much better about arming myself. Practice and experience have shown me what I prefer. It takes time and patience.

Good luck! :wavey:

SouthernGal
10-09-2008, 12:55

Semi-Auto. I have small hands and I hate having to deal with a lot of pull or a hammer. Semi-autos are the original point and click interface.

- How do you feel about external safeties that, when 100% functional, need to be disengaged to put the gun into battery?

I've never owned a gun that had a safety. You could argue that my Glock does have one, but it's not what I consider a "true" safety (like a button).

I carry IWB. I refuse to carry a gun in my purse.

- Would you rather sacrifice concealability and carry a larger, more powerful cartridge, or sacrifice superior ballistics to carry a smaller cartridge that can fit in a smaller gun?

Truthfully, I'm not too worried about people seeing my weapon. Most people don't suspect women as carriers anyway. In the past I've been willing to carry a larger/heavier gun only because I was more accurate with it than with one that had a shorter barrel. (G19 vs G26)

- Do you feel more comfortable while along when you're carrying (or at home alone)?

I tend to be comfortable wherever I am. That's no small feat considering I live near to one of the most crime-ridden cities in the US. I choose not to live my life in fear. I won't be afraid to engage someone and go down swinging if it comes to that.

MrsKitty
10-09-2008, 16:38

Semi. It's just what I got comfortable with first.

I carry a Glock that I chose because I didn't want to deal with safeties.

Sometimes I carry IWB, OWB, purse and dayplanner. It depends on where I am going and what I am doing and how I am dressed. Someday I want a G27 to ankle carry.

Size isn't as important to me as what I am accurate with and comfortable with. I have a friend who carries a .22 because she is spot on with it.

- Do you feel more comfortable while alone when you're carrying (or at home alone)?

Yes and no. I do not consider doing things I wouldn't do if I weren't carrying. I do feel safer because I should be able to handle anything but I won't let that security lead me somewhere I wouldn't go anyway.

Cat91
10-10-2008, 19:03
SIG SP2340, backed up by my P229 SAS. I'd pack the P229 but I'm not qualified with it yet. Prefer to pack full size automatics. I'm faster with them. And anything smaller than 9mm is a waste of time. I don't like .45, so I prefer 9mm or .40. I have a 9mm SP2022 put away for the hard times that will follow the Obama administration,, when we won't be able to get full-capacity magazines anymore.

I like the DA/SA SIG Pro and the D.A.K. P229, neither require fiddling with safeties and both are fast into action and accurate. The P229 is best, I love the D.A.K. trigger, but I have more trigger time with the SIG Pro DA/SA, and I'm used to the Pro's weird decocker.

I generally pack using a Coronado purse for comfort. I sometimes use a Fobus paddle under a shirt or light jacket. I am much more comfortable when I have it with me, when I'm alone.

Miao, Cat

Misty02
10-12-2008, 13:21
When I decided to purchase a handgun I started searching the web for “best handgun for women”, I came across many articles giving their opinion and soon thereafter a gun forum where the suggestion was to have the woman in question go to a range and try various handguns before buying one. I did some research and made a list of the ones I thought would be best within my price range. I went to the range and was able to eliminate some from the list by just holding them. They just didn’t feel right in my hand. For a couple of weeks I rented and fired the ones that felt good in my hand. I ended up buying the Glock 19, in spite no training I was rather accurate with it and it just felt right for me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
To answer your questions, mind you I am a novice at all this and selecting my own handgun was done without the assistance of others.<o:p></o:p>
-Do you prefer a semi-auto or a revolver? Why?<o:p></o:p>
I preferred the additional rounds in a pistol. Reloading the spare mag seemed easier too.<o:p></o:p>

- How do you feel about external safeties that, when 100% functional, need to be disengaged to put the gun into battery?<o:p></o:p>
I believe that if the gun I selected had an external safety I would have learned to work with that at the range. If you practice long enough with your selected weapon its handling will become second nature. It just turns out that the one I selected doesn’t have one.<o:p></o:p>

- What method of carry do you prefer (IWB, thigh, ankle, shoulder rig, etc)?<o:p></o:p>
Carry method currently include the Belly band for the hotter months, self-created undershirt with pockets to house the Nemesis pocket holster in cooler weather or when I know I will not be outside in the heat, fanny pack for very casual wear. I am still waiting for my conceal license but have tried the above while at home, weeknights and all weekend and they seem to work best for me.<o:p></o:p>

- Would you rather sacrifice concealability and carry a larger, more powerful cartridge, or sacrifice superior ballistics to carry a smaller cartridge that can fit in a smaller gun?<o:p></o:p>
Before I started I knew I wouldn’t go for anything below a 9mm. With that in mind, I never did try a lower caliber. I am thinking now of getting something smaller that can go well with evening wear and a thigh holster. The reasoning there being that it is better to carry something that is not as effective than to carry nothing at all. <o:p></o:p>

- Do you feel more comfortable while alone when you're carrying (or at home alone)?<o:p></o:p>
I have yet to carry outside the house or car. I wouldn’t call carrying comfortable but I do feel more secure knowing I have the ability to defend myself and my family if I ever needed to.<o:p></o:p>
I have gone to the range every week to practice with my handgun and I feel rather comfortable with it. Whatever she gets should be something she is willing to practice with often and become efficient with. Since I started going to the range there have been many weapons I’ve fired because they were fun but I still haven’t changed my mind about my original purchase and prefer it as my main self-defense piece.

Good luck with your purchase. :)<o:p></o:p>

Mrs.Cicero
10-13-2008, 13:28

Semi-auto. I carry an HK USP Compact 9mm, cocked and locked. I like the SA trigger and the grip. I hate revolver triggers and grips. I am faster and more accurate with semi-auto. I have carried the USP for 10 years and am so used to the safety, that on the rare occasions that I carry a Glock, I thumb for a safety that doesn't exist when I shoot. I carry in a Maxpedition Fatboy or a Coronado leather purse in hot weather, and OWB under an oversized jacket when it cools off. I dislike purse carry more and more (forget about fast draw from a purse, and the weight further messes up my already messed up back), but nothing else works any better in summer weight clothing. I am not all that thrilled about carrying anything smaller than a 9mm. I don't carry a .45 due to the extra weight and concealability factors, and they cost more to practice with... 9mm is what I can afford to practice with weekly. Also, the 9mm has more rounds in the mag.
I am always happier when the gun is in reach than when it is not, whether at home, in the car, or anywhere else.

Mrs.C

fsqridah
10-15-2008, 19:04
Thank you all so much for the replies. I'll have my girlfriend read over them when she gets a chance.

I'd like her to shoot both...I think the recoil of a 2" .38spl +P would turn her off to revolvers as they have no way of reducing recoil.

This is a tricky one...I guess if she insists on a safety, she'll need to practice with it that much more.

IWB would be the best bet for her. She doesn't wear skirts very often so a thigh holster is out, and most 9mm autos are too large for an ankle holster. A shoulder rig might work during the winter if she's wearing a zip hoodie or jacket.

She wants a smaller gun, period. If she wants to go small enough, we might consider a .380 auto. It's a subcaliber, but it's better than nothing.

I can't imagine anyone not feeling more comfortable knowing they can defend themselves with a gun.

Please, keep the replies coming.

SouthernGal
10-16-2008, 08:27
IWB would be the best bet for her. She doesn't wear skirts very often so a thigh holster is out, and most 9mm autos are too large for an ankle holster. A shoulder rig might work during the winter if she's wearing a zip hoodie or jacket.

I know there is an ankle holster available for the Glock27. Since most holsters are by size, I'd suspect this same one would also fit a Glock26.

The girl in the middle has this rig.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q173/ratchinator/Keely_Malinda_me.jpg

Lady Glock
10-16-2008, 08:59
I prefer a semi. When I took my first class/test, I tried a .22 and did pretty good...but then tried a .45 and couldn't miss the bullseye!

I carry a Glock 30 (.45) on my strong side OWB, or a Ruger P345 (.45ACP) Small of back. Both with full mag +1

Question about "ankle carry"...could she get to it and have it at the ready quick enough if she needed it?

bearwitme
10-16-2008, 11:37
So for the ladies:

- What method of carry do you prefer (IWB, thigh, ankle, shoulder rig, etc)? Right now IWB.
- Would you rather sacrifice concealability and carry a larger, more powerful cartridge, or sacrifice superior ballistics to carry a smaller cartridge that can fit in a smaller gun? I have a G26. Point it right and should have no problems.
- Do you feel more comfortable while alone when you're carrying (or at home alone)? No mater..I need to be more comfortable when carrying. New CCL..

MrsKitty
10-16-2008, 18:38
I know there is an ankle holster available for the Glock27. Since most holsters are by size, I'd suspect this same one would also fit a Glock26.

The girl in the middle has this rig.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q173/ratchinator/Keely_Malinda_me.jpg

I know those faces! :wavey:

SouthernGal
10-17-2008, 13:22
I know those faces! :wavey:

Yep, I bet you do! :wavey:

They are still buzzing wanting to know when the next big shoot is. The April weather here is a great time for that sort of thing.

MrsKitty
10-17-2008, 13:54
I love your pink Chuck Taylors. I have a red pair :supergrin:

This is nice weather for that!

FollowTheRoad
10-20-2008, 23:51
Do you prefer a semi-auto or a revolver? Why?
I prefer a semi.

BondGirl
10-25-2008, 07:56
Semi-auto because I like the easy reload with just having an extra magazine ready. And I just don't like the feel of a revolver.
For a beginner I think it is a good thing it made me feel better about carring. I carry a 380 Bersa Thunder and am looking at getting a 9mm I'm leaning in the direction of the SIG P239 but it will be a while.
IWB right now or in fanny pack.
Bigger is not always better sometimes you just have to do your homework to find what is best for you. You not only need something dependable but also something that you are comfortable with. I want what is best for me all the way around. And I've found that as I'm learning more and enjoying it my taste changes and I'm more comfortable with shooting I want a bit more.
Yes, but I've also taken a self defense class which has also helped to make me feel safer.

:wavey:

rugercat78
10-31-2008, 15:06
Do you prefer a semi-auto or a revolver? Why?
I prefer a semi-auto. Tried both, just liked it better. I carry a G19 9mm.

How do you feel about external safeties that, when 100% functional, need to be disengaged to put the gun into battery?
In an emergency, an external safety would be too cumbersome. If I need my gun (God forbid), I want it to be ready. Otherwise, why carry...

What method of carry do you prefer (IWB, thigh, ankle, shoulder rig, etc)?
I usually purse carry (which drives my instructor nuts). I really should carry on my person, but it's hard to find a comfortable holster. (I'm a bit curvey and should just lose weight...)

Would you rather sacrifice concealability and carry a larger, more powerful cartridge, or sacrifice superior ballistics to carry a smaller cartridge that can fit in a smaller gun?
I would definitely sacrifice "superior ballistics" for concealability. The element of surprise is key and you only have to stop your attacker, not necessarily kill them.

Do you feel more comfortable while alone when you're carrying (or at home alone)?
I'm not going to lie; yes, I do feel more comfortable carrying when I'm out or at home alone. However, this does not make me take silly risks :-)

I highly recommend that your girlfriend take ladies' shooting classes. 3rd person instruction is sometimes easier to take then from your significant other. (I hate it when my husband critiques my shooting...)

Good luck!

GlockTori
11-01-2008, 15:24
Do you prefer a semi-auto or a revolver? Why? Glock 26. Lots of rounds, easy to conceal.
- How do you feel about external safeties that, when 100% functional, need to be disengaged to put the gun into battery? Not! Want gun to go bang when I pull trigger. Not going to hope to have time to stop and walk through all the steps (safety, load round, aim, shoot vs aim-shoot)
- What method of carry do you prefer (IWB, thigh, ankle, shoulder rig, etc)? IWB, thigh, shoulder, and pouch. Depends on clothing and time of year. When hot, wear pouch in front with shorts and t-shirt. When cold, IWB or shoulder with jeans and sweater. If dress/skirt, thigh.
- Would you rather sacrifice concealability and carry a larger, more powerful cartridge, or sacrifice superior ballistics to carry a smaller cartridge that can fit in a smaller gun? Brother is career Navy with 6 tours to Iraq. He had choice of carry pistol. Originally had Colt 1911 (.45 cal/8 rounds). Switched to Sig P226 (9mm) for more shots. Said, few targets stand perfectly still and wait for you to aim and fire. Said he would rather have several shots in case he misses first couple especially if he's having to move also. Made sense to me. Chose 9mm with 11 rounds over .45 cal with 8 rounds. Also use Corbon hollow points just for extra help.
- Do you feel more comfortable while alone when you're carrying (or at home alone)? Always.

G26Duck
11-09-2008, 20:35
My girlfriend has been toying with the thought of getting her CCDW license in the near future. She's usually with me and protected by a Glock 39, but there are times when she's alone while she's out at night, or staying by herself at her apartment.

I've started her on handgun basics: safety (4 rules of Col. Jeff Cooper), nomanclature, rules of CCW, and firing techniques. She's shot my 26 and my Para Nite Hawg (before I traded it in on the 39) and is quite good for a first-timer. The Hawg (3" 1911 .45ACP) gave her a flinch with its nasty recoil and muzzle blast, but she shot the 26 without too much of a problem.

I told her if/when she gets her CCDW, I'll buy her a handgun and a holster to carry it in. I'm just curious as to what the women here prefer to carry, how they carry it, and why. It's my understanding that most women prefer the simplicity and user friendliness of a revolver; you don't need to pull the slide back, wrestle with a magazine, or understand much about a gun...you just gotta pull the trigger. I'm a big fan of autoloaders, but I can easily understand why someone would prefer a revolver, other than the obvious fact that you can carry a .357 mag (please no mentioning of DEs, lol).

My original plan (after purchasing my 39) was to give her my 26. However, there are other guns out there, and I'm willing to buy her something else if she's rather carry a different gun.

As far as caliber choice, I'm a firm believer in that if you make the shots go where they're supposed to go, the choice of cartridge is almost moot. Sure, a .45ACP is gonna do more damage than a .380ACP. But if you're more comfortable with a smaller cartridge for whatever reason, you'll train with it (because you're not scared of it), you'll train with it more, and be more apt to actually carry it rather than leaving it at home. I personally wouldn't carry anything less than a 9mm, but the .380ACP isn't a bad round, especially if it's carried in a very small handgun like a Kel-tec P3AT or Bersa Thunder .380.

As far as "safeties" go, my girlfriend was upset to find out my Glocks do not have external safeties. I explained to her that any gun is as safe or as dangerous as the person carrying it, and in an extremely stressful situation that warrants drawing and firing a concealed handgun, the user might fail (or forget) to disengage the safety, rendering the gun useless. To me, as long as you keep that finger off the bang switch, that's safety enough. I also think external safeties are relied upon far too often and cause a shooter to become careless and negligent. But if she feels more comfortable carrying a gun with a manual safety, she probably wouldn't carry one without it.

So for the ladies:

edit: fixed the last question
Hi, this is Mrs.G26Duck,
I carry a couple of coronado purses which are great, but I carry a Keltec PF9 which is small enough for an ankle holster. I personally don't like belts, so the purse works for me. I have an IWB which I am getting used to. I think I would like to try a shoulder holster also. In regards to safety, I think whatever she decides to practice with will work. You just have to use common sense. I was teaching a kindergarten group of kids and I left my purse in the car; duh. When my cousin ,who has several toddler age children visits, I make sure all my weapons are locked up. Even when I am at home and don't have a weapon on me, I always have one somewhere nearby. I try to be safety conscious at all times, that means always having a loaded weapon, cocked and locked within emergency range. Yeah, I may a little paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

FrogWithAGlock
11-20-2008, 10:57
I just bought my first gun, a Glock 19. It's actually an early Christmas present from my sweet hubby!! (isn't that romantic?) He doesn't have a gun, but we'd discussed getting one,....... so he asked me (after the election, lol), if I wanted one for Christmas. Took my armor about a week to get one for me (directly from glock).This one's mine, not "ours". I have only fired a handgun twice - once when I was 14, and once last year. But I am naturally a good shot. Dh wants a rifle or shotgun one day.

I have two small children, and my "prime directive" as a mother is to keep them safe. Not to hope the cops will, not to hope my husband will (besides, then what do I do if he's not around?). Physical combat with a perp would be a joke - I am tall, and not slender, but have bad knees, etc., and though I would go down fighting, it isn't realistic to believe I could bare-handed protect us in any given situation.

I also wanted to be sure my kids are safe at all times, yet still allow me to carry. ANd them not know about it (AT 3 AND 6 YEARS, i DISCUSS MANY GUN SAFETY ISSUES WITH THEM, BUT WOULD RATHER THE "MOMMY IS CARRYING A GUN" CONVERSATION NOT HAPPEN UNTIL IT NEEDS TO. tHOUGH THEY DO ALREADY KNOW i WOULD KILL FOR THEM.) oooops! sorry for the caps!

ANYWAY, this is what I have come up with (after lots of internet research, talking to friends who carry, and to my LEO sister and her LEO husband (Sis is also a firearms instructor).

Glock 19, in Thunderwear, or SmartCarry holster (nearly identical). That way, I don't have anything protruding where a child can touch, see, etc. Yet right on me to be easily accessible. Also, I like that it gives me the option of wearing whatever I want, without worry about concealment, clothing comfort, and don't have to "go up a size". Apparently OC is permitted in Colorado( have to check the laws to be sure, but another thread stated so??), but CC feels "right" to me, in theory anyway (haven't obtained my CCW yet).
BioVault. No chance of my kids opening it, yet when the gun is not ON me, it can still be accessible, loaded, and secure. None of the other safes I have looked at in my years of research answered the safety concerns I had. Biovault fits perfectly.
LOTS of training. I don't have any bullets yet (just got the G19 a few days ago), because I don't have the BioVault yet. (My plan was biovault first, but in the meanwhile, have a cable lock on the gun, and it's hidden, and out of reach, even for children with a chair to climb on). But I have an instructor lined up, and plan on extensive training, before I CC. I want to be sure I am absolutely comfortable with the gun, and with the idea of shooting another person (though if they threaten me or my family, I'm confident I won't have a problem). There's also a women's shooting club near me, that is very active, and very serious. And fun.
I got info on several weapons, and shot a few, plus my armor had many more, so I could experience the weight, feel, etc. A Glock 19 was what I LOVED shooting last year (my LEO sis lent me hers), and of all the ones I tried, it actually fits my hands best, has the best balance (for me), and I can pull the trigger equally well with both hands - some I could not, and the Sig was impossible with my weak side (otherwise second in weight and feel). I just kept coming back to the Glock.

I personally prefer an automatic to a revolver. I'd rather change magazines than fumble with individual bullets, should I need to reload in a hurry, or under pressure. Revolvers just don't appeal to me. I like clean, simple, reliable, and effective. For ME, that meant Glock. The lack of external thumb safety was a plus for me. I wrestled with the idea quite a bit -sis even offered me her Smith & Wesson, free, if I preferred the external safety. But the idea that in an emergency, I might forget the safety, causing a delay (those few seconds count), ultimately turned me away. Plus, I remembered when I was out there last year, it didn't feel as good in my hand (heavier, and the rough metal grip was uncomfortable), so we never bothered taking it to the range.

Properly holstered, the trigger is covered, so you aren't going to accidentally fire it. Proper training takes care of the rest. The other thing to consider (and why sis wants to get rid of the S&W) is what else she will be firing; if you have glocks she's used to, anything else might be dangerous. Not any other GUN, but a different type of safety mechanism. Because in a dangerous situation, you don't want to risk confusion about what you're handling.

Just the thoughts of a newbie, obsessive about my research.

OH - with regards to caliber, I wanted enough to stop someone, but with cheap bullets, so I can practice obsessively, and not lose the house, lol. 9mm answered both issues. The Glock 19 is small enough to conceal, yet still full-size power. (26 would be, too, but the grip is too small for my hand)

LAURAPDG26
11-20-2008, 13:40
Thanks Frog for some really good insight and advice. I just picked up my 26 today and so far love it. The only problem I noticed is while the rental guns at the range are well worn, this new out of the box one is very stiff. Is there some trick to getting the slide release pushed easily? Is it something that just has to wear in because as of now, I can't even push it in to rack the gun? It's pretty stiff too because I noticed on my husbands 19, I don't have as much trouble and he even said it was pretty tough to release.

FrogWithAGlock
11-20-2008, 17:05
Thanks Frog for some really good insight and advice. I just picked up my 26 today and so far love it. The only problem I noticed is while the rental guns at the range are well worn, this new out of the box one is very stiff. Is there some trick to getting the slide release pushed easily? Is it something that just has to wear in because as of now, I can't even push it in to rack the gun? It's pretty stiff too because I noticed on my husbands 19, I don't have as much trouble and he even said it was pretty tough to release.

The more you use it, the looser it will get, or so I've been told when I asked the same thing.

:cool:

Mrs. G26Duck
11-22-2008, 21:13
You just have to keep using it. It will loosen up; what an awesome reason to release some frustration at the range. It is the holiday season,lol.

Mrs. G26Duck
11-22-2008, 21:25
I just bought my first gun, a Glock 19. It's actually an early Christmas present from my sweet hubby!! (isn't that romantic?) He doesn't have a gun, but we'd discussed getting one,....... so he asked me (after the election, lol), if I wanted one for Christmas. Took my armor about a week to get one for me (directly from glock).This one's mine, not "ours". I have only fired a handgun twice - once when I was 14, and once last year. But I am naturally a good shot. Dh wants a rifle or shotgun one day.

I have two small children, and my "prime directive" as a mother is to keep them safe. Not to hope the cops will, not to hope my husband will (besides, then what do I do if he's not around?). Physical combat with a perp would be a joke - I am tall, and not slender, but have bad knees, etc., and though I would go down fighting, it isn't realistic to believe I could bare-handed protect us in any given situation.

I also wanted to be sure my kids are safe at all times, yet still allow me to carry. ANd them not know about it (AT 3 AND 6 YEARS, i DISCUSS MANY GUN SAFETY ISSUES WITH THEM, BUT WOULD RATHER THE "MOMMY IS CARRYING A GUN" CONVERSATION NOT HAPPEN UNTIL IT NEEDS TO. tHOUGH THEY DO ALREADY KNOW i WOULD KILL FOR THEM.) oooops! sorry for the caps!

ANYWAY, this is what I have come up with (after lots of internet research, talking to friends who carry, and to my LEO sister and her LEO husband (Sis is also a firearms instructor).

Glock 19, in Thunderwear, or SmartCarry holster (nearly identical). That way, I don't have anything protruding where a child can touch, see, etc. Yet right on me to be easily accessible. Also, I like that it gives me the option of wearing whatever I want, without worry about concealment, clothing comfort, and don't have to "go up a size". Apparently OC is permitted in Colorado( have to check the laws to be sure, but another thread stated so??), but CC feels "right" to me, in theory anyway (haven't obtained my CCW yet).
BioVault. No chance of my kids opening it, yet when the gun is not ON me, it can still be accessible, loaded, and secure. None of the other safes I have looked at in my years of research answered the safety concerns I had. Biovault fits perfectly.
LOTS of training. I don't have any bullets yet (just got the G19 a few days ago), because I don't have the BioVault yet. (My plan was biovault first, but in the meanwhile, have a cable lock on the gun, and it's hidden, and out of reach, even for children with a chair to climb on). But I have an instructor lined up, and plan on extensive training, before I CC. I want to be sure I am absolutely comfortable with the gun, and with the idea of shooting another person (though if they threaten me or my family, I'm confident I won't have a problem). There's also a women's shooting club near me, that is very active, and very serious. And fun.
I got info on several weapons, and shot a few, plus my armor had many more, so I could experience the weight, feel, etc. A Glock 19 was what I LOVED shooting last year (my LEO sis lent me hers), and of all the ones I tried, it actually fits my hands best, has the best balance (for me), and I can pull the trigger equally well with both hands - some I could not, and the Sig was impossible with my weak side (otherwise second in weight and feel). I just kept coming back to the Glock.
I personally prefer an automatic to a revolver. I'd rather change magazines than fumble with individual bullets, should I need to reload in a hurry, or under pressure. Revolvers just don't appeal to me. I like clean, simple, reliable, and effective. For ME, that meant Glock. The lack of external thumb safety was a plus for me. I wrestled with the idea quite a bit -sis even offered me her Smith & Wesson, free, if I preferred the external safety. But the idea that in an emergency, I might forget the safety, causing a delay (those few seconds count), ultimately turned me away. Plus, I remembered when I was out there last year, it didn't feel as good in my hand (heavier, and the rough metal grip was uncomfortable), so we never bothered taking it to the range.

Properly holstered, the trigger is covered, so you aren't going to accidentally fire it. Proper training takes care of the rest. The other thing to consider (and why sis wants to get rid of the S&W) is what else she will be firing; if you have glocks she's used to, anything else might be dangerous. Not any other GUN, but a different type of safety mechanism. Because in a dangerous situation, you don't want to risk confusion about what you're handling.

Just the thoughts of a newbie, obsessive about my research.

OH - with regards to caliber, I wanted enough to stop someone, but with cheap bullets, so I can practice obsessively, and not lose the house, lol. 9mm answered both issues. The Glock 19 is small enough to conceal, yet still full-size power. (26 would be, too, but the grip is too small for my hand)
In regards to your children, I reccommend the NRA's Eddie Eagle approach; I have two children and we have always had loaded guns in the house. Factor in that one of my children, now aged 21 is handicapped and now functions at a seven year old level, I have a definitely unique viewpoint regarding children and guns. At age 8, when he functioned significantly lower than age level, my son came to me and reported seeing a neighbor's grandchild with a hunting weapon. He also informed a mall security guard that "you shouldn't play with guns. You should run away and tell a grown-up". How your children respond to and handle weapons will reflect how you teach them to handle and respond to weapons. We took our kids to the range with a .357 mag and a watermelon. We put a couple of rounds through the watermelon and said," this is what happens to your brother/sister if you play with guns". We also taught them what happens with responsible gun ownership.
How your kids view guns starts with you. Do the right thing. Educate them.

Bordsnbikes
12-02-2008, 12:35
I don't mean to be a jerk, but...

Can your wife drive a car? Run the blinkers, windshield wipers, horn, gas and brake pedals? It seems to me that if she can manage all that, then she could manage to pick her own gun. Present her with some information, maybe some recommendations, but she needs to choose her own gun. That way she can try out several types and find out what she likes and doesn't. Maybe she wants a safety, maybe she wants passive safeties. Perhaps she wants a .50 dessert eagle. The best thing you can do for her is to let her pick it herself. She wants a gun and that shows she's a smart lady who wants to be prepared. That means she's smart enough to pick it herself too. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm sorry if I came off that way, but if she's is REALLY happy with it, not had it pushed on her, she will train more often and be a lot more confidant with it.

glockmpw
12-08-2008, 20:03
Help her find a good store, well stocked, that doesn't mind spending time cultivating that personal relationship. A revolver is a good choice IF she doesn't seem interested all that much. The manual of arms is simpler and a little more goof proof than the semi. If she is interested and will practice, a semi should be as good a choice for her as it is for you. She needs one that fits her hand first and foremost. I've found through teaching and working at a gun store that, while a woman's palm may be smaller, she often has longer fingers which means a good size gun works just fine. Carry is going to be HIGHLY subjective and will depend on her stature, her figure, her mode of dress, etc. The narrow waist/wider hips shape plays real havoc when trying to fit someone with a holster. The store folks need to be patient and have a wide selection or you might be in for some frustration. A number of the ladies I've worked with like an IWB because it sits a little lower than other designs. When one has a high waist and short torso, a high-ride holster draws smack into the ribcage and requires a great deal of contorting. Tell her good luck and don't give up!