Laptop keyboard key came apart... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keyboard key came apart...

IndyGunFreak
10-10-2008, 14:52
The "E" came off of my laptop keyboard, is there an easy way to put it back on? The key is still 100% functional w/o the plastic covering, its more of an annoyance than anything.

Super glue? I just checked ebay, and a new keyboard is $20 w/ shipping, so if I order a new keyboard, how difficult of a repair is this? Time to do some googlin I guess.. :)

Edit: Hmm, this doesn't look that hard. I'm not that experienced w/ laptops, but I may give this a go...
http://www.delusionofgrandeur.co.uk/2008/07/09/acer-aspire-5315-keyboard-removal/

Thanks

IGF

The Pontificator
10-10-2008, 15:30
duct tape is your friend. :rofl:

IndyGunFreak
10-10-2008, 15:34
duct tape is your friend. :rofl:

Superglue might do the trick, but I'm concerned it might be caustic and do some damage if it gets on something else down there....

I'm gonna try to swap it..

IGF

srhoades
10-10-2008, 16:00
Replacing a keyboard is usually pretty easy. There should be a plastic panel between you keyboard and the LCD hinges. Get a small flathead screwdriver and pop it off. There should be a couple of screws that are holding the keyboard in. Remove those. Then you will have to detach the keyboard ribbon cable. Just reverese the steps with the new keyboard.

If your laptop doesn't have that plastic panel then you have to dissasemble the entire top cover of the laptop in order to access the keyboard. I hate that.

Razrbk444
10-10-2008, 20:13
I'm sure you can handle it. I tore apart my old HP Zv5000 with a P4 because of heat issues. Applied new thermal paste to the cpu/heatsink and hit it with compressed air and worked great afterwords. Just be careful pulling it apart. Screws can hide from you.

IndyGunFreak
10-10-2008, 21:25
I'm sure you can handle it. I tore apart my old HP Zv5000 with a P4 because of heat issues. Applied new thermal paste to the cpu/heatsink and hit it with compressed air and worked great afterwords. Just be careful pulling it apart. Screws can hide from you.

Thats the only real thing I'm concerned about... Oh well, just have to be careful and not force anything... I'll let you all know how it went probably Wed. or Thur.

IGF

wbgolden
10-10-2008, 22:15
what kind of laptop is it? one of the keys fell off my compaq and after much study, i realized i just need to align it absolutely perfectly and tap 'er back in. i'd think the same would hold true for other models. unless the retention mechanism is what's broken/popped off.

p.s. don't let a cat walk across your keyboard. and if you do, don't yank him off real quick. claws come out and snag keys. :steamed: :rofl:

IndyGunFreak
10-11-2008, 04:21
what kind of laptop is it? one of the keys fell off my compaq and after much study, i realized i just need to align it absolutely perfectly and tap 'er back in. i'd think the same would hold true for other models. unless the retention mechanism is what's broken/popped off.

p.s. don't let a cat walk across your keyboard. and if you do, don't yank him off real quick. claws come out and snag keys. :steamed: :rofl:

Acer 5315-2153 (the one linked in the instructions above), the clip under the key that holds he key in place, cracked...

IGF

Squished
10-11-2008, 08:40
I've replaced so many laptop keyboards I've lost count now. They are pretty easy just be very careful with the ribbon underneath that connects them. Those are fragile and if you damage it your new keyboard won't work.

Sgt. Schultz
10-11-2008, 08:50
Just be careful pulling it apart. Screws can hide from you. Good advice, I’ve found screws in places that will make you wonder “how in the hell did they get one in there” … just take your time and don’t force anything … if you get frustrated take a break, walk away.

IndyGunFreak
10-17-2008, 17:35
Thanks for the help/suggestions... That was a piece of cake(took about 10min)....

For anyone that may run across this on the Acer laptops, that link I posted above has great intstructions...

IGF

Razrbk444
10-17-2008, 23:32
Cool...Glad you got it fixed. Do any cleaning while you were in there?

IndyGunFreak
10-18-2008, 04:17
Cool...Glad you got it fixed. Do any cleaning while you were in there?

It was unbelievably clean actually, but I hit the fans w/ some air, and sprayed a little under the keyboard tray to make sure anything there got blown out...

IGF