To LED or NOT to LED... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : To LED or NOT to LED...

What? Me worry?
10-11-2008, 10:19
THAT is the question! :dunno:

I'm in the market for a new "torch" and I'm thinking about the Surefire G2 LED. Are they better than the Xenon G2 that I carry as my primary light right now? Throw is an important issue for me, but I like the battery life that the LED offers (1hr Xenon vs 12hr LED) as well as the durability of the LED bulb. I have dropped Xenon lights before and had to replace the lamp module. Is the trade off worth it? Or does the LED throw just as much as the Xenon?

I keep thinking to myself that I need to get with the "new" and go with the LED...but I'm still not 100% convinced. :upeyes:

And please don't try to direct me towards a differernt brand. I'm a Surefire man from start to finish.

What say you?

IndyGunFreak
10-11-2008, 11:22
Tech Talk (1 Viewing)
Here by popular demand, a forum to discuss computers. This the place to track down a problem, discover some new tips and tricks, and learn about new technology and more.

What? Me worry?
10-11-2008, 11:27
Sorry...my bad. :embarassed:

Mods, can we move this to it's "appropriate" forum. :upeyes:

Ragin Cajun
10-11-2008, 15:13
Sam's has two 4W LED's for less than $30 incl batteries. They are the best I've seen! Use them on patrol and will give them as gifts for Christmas.

RC

crazypilot
10-11-2008, 16:44
Sam's has two 4W LED's for less than $30 incl batteries. They are the best I've seen! Use them on patrol and will give them as gifts for Christmas.

RC

Sam's does sell the 2 pk. K2 Element light (150 lumens) for about $30. However, I plan on going with a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff (LED) drop in bulb. They have a 235 Lumen bulb (1.5 hrs).

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index-main_page-index-cPath-1_8.html

d3athp3nguin
10-11-2008, 17:06
Depends on what you want to use it for. I use my Xenon Surefire for checking out bumps in the night more than as a carry light (though I do carry it if I'm going to the city at night.) I find it funny that the drop-in bulbs are almost as much as a new Surefire; I would just buy an LED version of the G2 and have both in that case.

The Xenon version is a LOT better than any of my LEDs at cutting through fog or inclement weather. LED lights have awesome longevity, but to me if you try to use them in misty or foggy weather everything you illuminate turns into a blurry blue mess. As you said, Xenon bulbs are potentially more fragile and their battery life... well, it stinks. The Xenons aren't designed for "constant on" illumination, while you can get away with keeping an LED on for a few hours. I think switching to LED would make the light more versatile as an everyday carry light, but if you have to deal with inclement weather then you will be sacrificing throw for longevity.

Since I already have a lot of decent "non-tactical" LEDs, I stick with a Xenon Surefire for now. Maybe I'll get an LED as budget allows it.

Jayzod
10-11-2008, 17:53
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.941

and they have free shipping...

Dogguy
10-15-2008, 14:33
I agree with d3athp3nguin. Incandescent light has a better throw than LED light. Conversely, an LED light seems to me to have a better ability to flood an area with light.

I can't compare the Surefires mentioned but I do have Streamlight TL-2 models in both Xenon bulb and LED models. I can't really fault either one. Most times I use them interchangeably. The incandescent model really reaches out there and it's the one to go with if that's what you need. But I gotta admit, of the numerous flashlights I have, the Xenon TL-2 is the only incandescent among the pocket-sized lights. Longer battery life, shock-resistance and a bulb that never burns out tips the scales to LED for me.

kc8ykd
10-15-2008, 19:10
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.941

and they have free shipping...

DX has some pretty outrageously low prices and free shipping is a plus, BUT, their time from order to delivery can run over a month, FYI.

I really like their comments/review system and they carry just about everything fun for the gadget person/DIY person. Just don't expect to play with your new toys for a while :crying: Instant gratification and DX don't go hand-in-hand.

Rager
10-15-2008, 19:34
For my general use I had a G2 LED. (all rubber exterior) Lost it. I need a flippin' proximity alarm or somethin'. Someone found a nice light in a crane I was working on.

They are upgraded to aluminum heads now for better heat dissipation.